Miss mosca asked me this last night about

She has seen grannygrows garden, vegetable garden, and others, and wanted to know.

Those that gardened before growing cannabis, from what you have learned, from cannabis, do you use anything learned? How have you and your tablefare yield increase?

For those that didnt grow veggies before, have you started a garden of some type? Sucess?

3 Likes

I worked at a plant nursery before i ever grew anything really good and yes it helped alot with general knowledge

I don’t garden that intensely. I do grow in raised beds filled with highly composted soils. This season is a bust though. Got a late start. Rabbits ate most of my starter plants. A storm destroyed all of my tomatoes. I have no clue what happed to the bell peppers, eggplants, banana peppers - big zero.
I picked some green beans yesterday. They were 8" long and beautiful.
Onions are baseball size and beets are monstrous.
I was gone for two weeks just as the broccoli was heading up and flowering. Too bad they would have been perfect. And of course the beds were a jungle when I returned.

4 Likes

Grandpa taught me how to garden as a kid. The wife and I have had a garden for the last 3 years. I got good at growing veggies outside and was tired of wasting my money so I start a inside garden :seedling::boom::100:

2 Likes

3 Likes

It never gets better than harvesting your own. Nice to see a youngster helping with the fruits of your labor

3 Likes

I’ve grown just about everything .Garlic is the most of anyone thing that I’ve grown.Appox 3500 - 4000 pounds a year.eat stink be proud :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Has any strains you’ve grown every taken any odors, flavor from produce or fruit :thinking: grown near.

I’ve always had a green thumb but only had tiny yards to work with. We moved to the woods up north bought an acre so I have a decent size garden now just trying figure what grows well here.

I’ve never grown garlic or potatoes before so any tips are appreciated

Garlic is planted in the fall. Basically two kinds of garlic,hard neck ( grows a scape) and softneck.and about a million varieties.Find a local garlic producer and get your garlic from them.
Potatoes are planted in spring after last frost.Then hilled as plants grow.I always harvested them in sept.,but some can be taken anytime ie new potatoes n peas.

1 Like

Thank you kindly.

Your garlic looks outstanding! My wife and I eat a clove raw almost every night. I cannot get enough rosewood! We did music as well this year, but not nearly as hot as the rosewood. I love October! Not only is it time to plant your garlic for next year (I do mine around Halloween), but it’s time to harvest your indicas and sativas, and the rut is right around the corner. I love getting high while I’m 20’ high up a tree.

2 Likes

Everything looks good! Keep doing whatever you’re doing. As Mateo said, your hardneck varities are suited for overwintering in the cold ground of your northern climates. Personally, I think the softneck varities are amateurish. All your best flavor complexities are in your hardnecks. And different varities of hardneck have different attributes. For example, some are easier to peel than others. Killarney Red is a good example of that. Garlic is about the easiest, most maintenance-free thing to grow. Plant before the first frost and give them some nitrogen. Walk away until the spring greenup, hit them with some nitrogen again, then just some light weeding around the bases. Come June, I cut my scapes off and start cooking with them (they’re great fried in cast iron with olive oil and swiss chard), as removing thebscapes encourages the plant to put the rest of its growth into the bulb, and not into flowering.

What or how much of the eye is cut to plant? How deep?

Hey Wagner your tutorial about garlic is as accurate as it gets,spot on.I cover my garlic after being planted with straw.by time the weeds show up it’s time to harvest.
And as far as how deep to plant.garlic 3 to 4 inches some go deeper.but 3to 4 works for me.
For potatoes I plant them about 6”deep.remember you will be hilling them as foliage grows.a potato will not grow any deeper than the original seed planted.
Tip- potatoes that are bought from the store will grow just as well as seed potatoes.

1 Like

All cannabis growers I know face to face including myself all grew up in vegetable gardens, fruit trees, grapes and ornamentals with grandparents and parents. Wife and I use to put out a garden here and do some canning and freezing. But the soil is really freaking horrible and I don’t want to mess with raised beds and the few native pecan trees we have cast far to much shade now. I would have to take out at least two pecan trees and then raised beds to do it right. With the wife having health issues all we put out this year was one potted cherry tomato plant by the front porch. But it’s not uncommon for us to put out a potted garden to include a couple of tomato plants a row of green beans on trellis, A couple of yellow squash in pots that kind of stuff. And with the wife being a Iowa girl she really likes a few ears of sweet corn here and there…

1 Like

I am a massive believer in self-sufficiency! There’s no better veggies for my family than the ones we grow. There’s no better smoke than what I grow. There’s no better dinner than a venison tenderloin from a deer I harvested, with veggies from our garden, a bottle of wine from our small orchard, and then a good smoke I grew to relax with after dinner. We are stewards of the land. We respect and take care of her, and in turn she provides for us. My most favorite of symbiotic relationships.

1 Like

Most of the time, fresh eggs, home grown asparagus, and the normal staples. We are in between plots this year. Fish could be fresh staple as well.

Everyonce in awile, some venison and wild pork with store bought pork butt for breakfast sausage.

We always have fresh breakfast sausage made for less than 1.50 lb.

Yes, homegrown doesn’t get much better, soon to be own smoke too!!!

1 Like

We started p4p soil, are starting as we speak, my maria, Brooks and Dunn started, wife and i same time, is yhat her name, yep she gotta name,

My Maria

1 Like