Mildew/mold on hydroton?

ok so i just did a water change and noticed white fluffy mildew/mold growin on the hydroton inside net pot…scrap everything and transplant or do i have other options?

2 Likes

well i just got back from the store and this old man lookin like willie nelson who was sitting outside the gas station asks me hows it goin and i said …not great man i got some mold growin on my hydroponic medium and he says to me "ahhh you sure its not salt buildup ? ''i said nope its furry and i showed him a pic and he said …get some 3% hydrogen peroxide and mix it 50/50 with water and just spray it down…was willie nelson right?? needless to say for his efforts i grabbed him a case of beer and a pack of smokes

5 Likes

H2O2 my freind aka Is hydrogen proxide is your best freind in this case I believe. I am not sure exactly how to advise you to go about doing it, but I assume at least a 1% h2o2 mix with water. A normal bottle is 3% so need to add 1 part proxide and 2 parts water and try and clean off what you can and add the h2o2 to your solution…

I am not a hydroponics expert but I’ve just been getting into it and I do know it’s safe and used by many. But hopefully someone with more experience will chime in or Google "how to use h2o2 in hydroponics to make sure nothing special is needed, idk what it does to PH as PH is Potential hydrogen and proxide is 2 parts hydrogen :man_shrugging:

1 Like

wow so there was truth to what homeless willie nelson told me!..thats awesome thank you so much for your reply

2 Likes

That’s so funny, I hit reply and then read what the magical old man said :rofl:

That’s awsome :grinning:

2 Likes

yah im still laughing about that :slight_smile: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

ok added 1 part 3/% hydrogen peroxide and 2 parts RO water to spray bottle put it on mist and just got misty with it…goin with half of what you suggested and half of what willie nelsons clone told me to do. TYVM :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds good to me

1 Like

i found this " The recommended amount of 3% solution of peroxide per gallon of water in hydroponics is around 3ml per liter or 2-3 teaspoons per gallon of reservoir" …i only used 2ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide (food grade) to 4ml of RO in a 4 gallon res so i think im good ill keep an eye on it …thanks again man appreciate your help here

2 Likes

Fill a cup that the roots and net pot will fit in without harming roots fill cup with water and about 1 third of the amount mix peroxide so 1 cup of water 1 third cup peroxide then soak all the roots and hydroton in the mix rinse off soak again til it looks clean. Make sure u rinse super well before u put back into res with nutes. Does the setup have a sprayer to spray the roots of so is it on a timer

1 Like

Yep 50 50 will work don’t soak them for too too long tho. Willie was right.

1 Like

no this is my 2nd grow tent my 2x2 all the good equipment is in the 4x4 which is getting chopped in like 5 days after flush is done…this is a basic dwc bubble bucket which is probably why this is happening in the first place lol

LOL willie really came through that old man was so knowledgeable and he got really excited to be able to spread some of his wisdom, i wish i worked in the industry and could give him a job!

4 Likes

Hell go drink a beer with him get to know him and have him come spread some knowledge if he has some to share. He helps u u help him it’ll all work out lol.

3 Likes