Mid-tier LED for 3x3 tent

Good stuff. Ya I was looking to pull as much power at a lower current for the better light efficiency. Already ahead of you on the glasses and got a pair coming with all my other gear. I’ll be starting my setup next Friday. Doing a lil setup party at my place with some buddies since they decided to throw in with me to help pay for all the start up costs.

Thanks for everything I was waffling between going with a vipar or doing this and so glad I went this route.

You wouldn’t by any chance have any experience with peat pellets to start my seeds, do you? Thinking of doing to ladies with a SCROG and just trying to give them the best chance to start well.

2 Likes

This is how I germinate. Then I put them directly in a net cup and put in my aeroponic system after I see roots

@middlecoast

2 Likes

Not a scrogger, sorry.

1 Like

There are things to learn from every system and type of growing useful info can hide in the oddest places so I like to research everything even growing styles I don’t use or plan to try :wink:

4 Likes

Makes a lot of sense @Donaldj. I feel I’m plenty versed on scrog grows. I just have never seen it as a productive method for my goals. I realize that for some people it’s different. Seed cost or clone availability is not a concern, therefore I’d rather run more plants to fill my area and save on the cost of an extended veg time and harvest more often. But I certainly don’t want that to determine how someone else decides to run their grow. A scrog may be a better fit for someone in a different situation. If I’m asked in a more direct manner, then I’ll share my thoughts. Otherwise, I try to not push my will onto others.

3 Likes

I love to experiment I went through Sea Of Green phase too then played with coco DWC LST super cropping in my current grow I have plants from seed from clone and Monster crop clones 1 flower space is Scrog the other just natural and breaking :wink: Last harvest was all scrog the one before was no more than triple kola plants and I am already playing with Aeroponics as my next flowering round.and I may just build next unit for 10 plants all single kola I haven’t made up my mind yet lmao. I even did 1 month veg from cuttings to flower for kicks and may yet go back that way? for single kola NFT in the future

2 Likes

The 4 weeks veg on clones and flip is more of my style. But ya, it’s hard to know what you like if you don’t try.

Personally, I won’t have the room that I use to. So while it’s important to make the most of it, I also don’t have the space to be dabbling. But for the average person or especially a new grower, I agree that trying several methods would be in their best interest.

I look through a lot of the journals here and see a lot of repetition. Large grow tents that are around half full, usually underpowered, and long veg times. Most of them are from newish growers, so it’s probably a good fit. What I find myself wondering, is this the best place to start?

I use to be the guy that suggested always buy more than you need. Get as big of tent, as much light, a bigger fan and yada yada. Now I feel completely the opposite. Get a small setup with quality components and you can learn everything you need to, and then have an idea of where you wanna go and what it will take to get there. A skilled grower can accomplish in a 2x2 what a lot of members are doing in much larger spaces. I’d much rather see people hone their skills than throw money at equipment. But who am I to tell anyone what to do lol.

2 Likes

Lol my flower space with scrog and light mover runs on roughly 400w total is 6’x3’ 7’ tall wall to wall green with 4 plants in one hydro unit 27 gal res.
Using GH Maxi series Powder nutes cheaply run :wink: The watt total includes fan, light, mover and pump
My second flower space is 2 retired mother plants same space total and no mover but far thinner canopy and in pro-mix same nutes

4 Likes

As a new grower I throw money at equipment in an effort to remove more variables… :thinking:

4 Likes

You’re not throwing money away how I was saying. You’re planning on running a 3x3 scrog, and investing in quality components. There’s a difference between doing that, and spending the same or more money to set up a 4x8 tent for your first grow.

1 Like

Ya as a new grower I went with a setup that I think will be reasonable for my space and allow me to experiment. My setup will be a 3x3x6 tent, a 6 inch fan with carbon filter, diy lights and then just going to do good soil and nutrients. I felt like that’s a good starting point for me to experiment with growing techniques, nutrients, etc. First grow looking to try SCROG just cause I’vereqd about good results and it interests me.

So basically nothing too crazy and I also feel like I won’t need to buy anything expensive for a long while unless I have something break.

I’m always game to learn more techniques so don’t hesitate to talk about your preference guys.

2 Likes

I made my own 5x5 simply for the space to move my plants and for me to get in and around them. You said it before @dbrn32 where 50w per square foot isn’t always necessary for every grow tent, because not every tent has plants wall to wall. I like the space to move around, do my pruning and inspecting while also being able to easily change out my buckets. I try to go as cheap as possible lol, but still grow the quality bud at the same time. I do agree though, because I see tons of money being spent when it could be saved. Next lump-sum I get I’m ordering my LED light parts and accessories. That’s an investment for my plants and will save money in the end.

I do wanna try a SOG grow, but I also wanna do another SCROG!

:v::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Absolutely right amigo!

Honestly, some of the led outputs are getting really high too. If you’re running a really efficient led setup, 50 watts per foot is pushing the limit for needing co2 if reflectors are used.

You simply can’t compare a red/blue led to high powered white led in the same respect.

I love my MarsHydro and Roleadro LED’s, but I’m so excited to build my own!

:v::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

@dbrn32 Hey brother I was thinking of having a small germinating setup so the last 2 weeks my girls are flowering in my tent I can start germinating seeds. Do you think I can get away with using 2 of these? They say they are 28w I doubt it but couldn’t find too much about wattage.

I think that you could, I personally I purchased this:
KINGBO Reflector 45W LED Grow Light Panel 225 LEDs 6-Band Full Spectrum Includ UV IR with Switch for Indoor Plants Seeding & Growing & Flowering https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYBGVRG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_VAsKzbWRD1TFE
It’s not too bright, but bright enough until everything gets established. Heck I grew my seedlings for the first 4weeks of their life. (Long story short I had to send back a defective light)

My dispensary guy gave me 4 of the ones they sell on ebay the 24w or something like that those diodes were so small and it took forever for the plant to even grow a little I trashed those damn things. Kinda like what you have but the very first ones that came out with 225 LED’s on it. Such bs with those. Anyone reading this never buy those your better off with a cfl

Any idea what the blue to red ratio is?

Product Specifications:

Item: SMD 5730 led grow light

LED Quantity: 28pcs

Power:28W

Base Type: E27

Full Spectrum:15Red+7Blue+4White+1IR+1UV

Input Voltage: AC85-265V

Lumens:500LM

Lifespan: 50000hours

Size:49*60mm

I suppose my experience may not be enough. It worked ok for me.