Mid flowering Please guide

Hello,

My plants are in the mid flowering stage, they showed me their genders on 4th of Feb. Thing is on the 1st of Feb i noticed Nitrogen toxicity symptoms, claws forming etc. So i changed the nutrient solution from a PPM of 1400 to a PPM of 400 in order to correct the toxicity. ( I also switched from GHE Flora 3 pack, to Master Blend formula for the transition). But my plant in DWC is still showing signs of Nitro Toxicity although in the new solution there is only 1g of Calcium Nitrate, 4g Master Blend (tomato formula) and 4g Magnisium Sulphate in 9 liters of water, a PPM of 400.

Im torn between adding more flowering nutrients and completely laying off till the plant shows improvement? Please guide as to what to do

-What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed (photo or auto)

• Bag seed

-Age of plant

• 5 Weeks

-Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF

• Hydroponics

-Vessels: Type and capacity of container (fabric, plastic, etc)

• 80 Litre reservoir

-PH and TDS of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)

• N/A

-PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
On Feb 6th PPM was 440, On Feb 8th PPM 340

-Method used to measure PH and TDS

• PH pen (HANNA), TDS (Local brand pen) both digital

-Indoor or Outdoor if indoor, size of grow space

• Indoor (2 by 2 feet)

-Light system List brand and wattage/spectrum

-Actual wattage draw of lights

• I dont know

-Current Light Schedule

• 12/12

-Temps; Day, Night

• 18 Deg C, 6 Dec C

-Humidity; Day, Night

• 50 Percent Plus always

-Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size

• No

-AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,

• No

-Co2; Yes, No
+No

If growing Hydro some additional questions:

-DWC? RDWC? Autopots? Ebb and Flow? Other?

• Ebb and FLow

-Distance of liquid below net pot (DWC)
+N/A

-Temperature of reservoir

• 18 to 20 Deg C

-TDS of nutrient solution
On Feb 6th PPM was 440, On Feb 8th PPM 340

-Amount of air to solution

• I dont know, 1x air pump which bubbles 24/ 7

The plants on the Left are in Ebb & flow system and the right one is DWC (Nitro Toxicity) with the same nutrient solution. You can clearly see the signs of stress in DWC.

A point to be noted is there are 3 plants growing in EBB and Flow and only one for DWC.

3 Likes

Yup! Looks like N issue. Not sure you are in mid flower though. Looks like she is just starting to produce flowers, at least according to what I see.

When is the last time you calibrated your PH meter?

Not familiar with the nutes but I would make sure she is getting her flower nutes.

Not sure cutting back on nutes from 1400 to 400 during this time is the right thing to do. Let’s see if @Myfriendis410 @peachfuzz can speak about the nutes any?
Good luck! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

4 Likes

I would try and get your temps up a bit if that’s your air temp.
Better at 27 day / 22 night.
Better to keep them in a 10 deg F window so to speak.

The cooler temps will def slow growth and cause nute uptake issues.

Might also check your fan placement as I’m not seeing the tip curl on all leaves of the plant like I would expect with a N over feed.

:v:

4 Likes

At this point you want to have the highest nutrient concentration the plant/plants can tolerate. Don’t discontinue using N but like stated P and K is going to be needed for the plant to build flower. Don’t forget to use silica too as trichomes are composed primarily of silica.

5 Likes

Silica is also great at strengthening plant structure. I’m a big fan of it.

3 Likes

I really dont think i can control the air temps. There is no fan in the room either.

1 Like

Okay! So do u recommend adding more right now? Even with the clawing effect? Ill add the silica too but i’ve read it screws with the PH of the nute solution.

Any pointers for using Silicon Dioxide ( I have the powder form)?

1 Like

10th January, i recalibrated my PH meter.

So what stage would you call this?

1 Like

Potassium silicate is the proper form of silica to use. It is available on Amazon and at most hydro shops.

1 Like

It appears to me that you just started flower in the last week or so?? Maybe?

Yes, because plants are at peak demand now or very shortly. Not really sure why you have clawing but could be air flow across plant as stated.

Silica will raise PH: a trick I heard is to mix silica in a separate container and add to mix as a PH up, assuming your mix is low before. Otherwise add per package recommendations. Remember; silica is first to be added, followed by cal mag if used then everything else.

2 Likes

Yes 4th Feb to be exact!

1 Like

Sorry, this is what’s available. I don’t think there is much difference, the main ingredient being is Silica (Silicon dioxide, bonded with oxygen) whereas Potassium Silicate has bonded with potassium. So using Silicon dioxide im adding Silica and oxygen.

I have no air blowing in the room, no fan, no air temp control. And i’m gonna use Silicon Dioxide (Cosmetic Grade) that’s whats available easily. We don’t have many hydro shops here.

Latest Pics and Info.

What i’ve noticed the PH of my solution is falling rapidly and also the PPM is falling quickly. Does this point to anything? Can it be the cause of the leaves clawing? Also the main roots are somewhat damaged because of the very small net pot.

The changes i made now are increased PPM from 250 to 700, no nitrogen supplement and moved canopy from 1inche to 4 inche further.

This last one is a comparison of the plants right next to it in a different grow system. Left is ebb and flow, right is DWC.

1 Like

I would expect you have more water in the ebb and flow than you do the dwc??
If that’s the case, that would explain why your not having as much trouble with the ebb and flow.
More water equals a more stable root environment.
It appears just from the pictures that you may have a little root rot unless your roots are just stained. Hard to tell from the pics.
Do they feel slimy at all?
Do the smell bad?

If it is root rot, you may need to do a flush with hydrogen peroxide and water to clean your roots. (Only if it’s root rot.)
I would soak the plants roots in a mixture of water and h202 for about an hour, clean everything out, rinse and clean, rinse and clean again making sure to get the peroxide out.

Also, you might try some selective trimming to thin out your plant some. It will not only help with air flow but also allow light to get to the bud sites.
I noticed you said no fans?
If that’s the case, that could also be an issue. Your plants need air flow.
Roots have to be chilled.
If water temps are getting too high, you definitely stand a chance of root rot.

What’s the water temps?
What’s the temps in the grow room?
:+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

How and where can i get silica?

https://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-Armor-Gardening-32-Ounce/dp/B00E5K5NS0/?tag=greenrel-20

This means you can up your solution concentration. If it consumes more water than nutes you do the opposite

Yes exactly, more water and plants in the ebb and flow.

I’ve had root rot before and this doesn’t seem like root rot to me, the plant would have been a lot less healthier.

I’ll take a closer look and let you know.

If it is root rot idk if hydrogen peroxide is gonna help, if the growing conditions are the same, root rot always comes back.