Michigan marijuana

Just had a garden growning season. Need to keep the northwest michigan growing season in mind when selecting. We had a long favorable season and all is well but next year when it freezes on September 10 I’ll be screwed. Autoflowers?

1 Like

Autos would work for you.
I’m in a similar situation with a shorter growing season. Some can produce very nice yields.
You would have to check your last frost times and plan from there.
And welcome to the forum. :+1::v:
@lmille.

2 Likes

You can also pre start photos inside and move them out once you know it’s safe

3 Likes

I’ll start seeds this winter and see how it goes. My Kimbo Kush plants were harvested October 4th and could have used another 2 weeks. They started out as clipped seedlings (bushy) June 5th in the garden.

Michigan seems to be pretty encouraging for the home grower.
L

2 Likes

@monkman Lives in Michigan, but don’t know if he ever grew outside.

1 Like

Something about 3-4 harvest instead of 1 that’s appealing to indoors

1 Like

ILGMM, With Auto grows, I can get several grows indoor. Photos, I also can get a couple grows too. I like that I can control light, temp, humidity, air flow…and more. But I also like moving plants outside on those warm sunny days. They respond very well and I enjoy their unique odors that I don’t get indoors with my charcoal filter /exterior ventilation. But watch out for the Pest before bring them back inside.

1 Like

Welcome to the community I would do both Autos an photo start them inside 4 or 5 inches high put them outside and go for it. Good luck with next year’s grow.

2 Likes

welcome to the forums from another michigander @lmille

the problem with photo’s outside in mich by my perspective is that you need 10 weeks of less than 13 hours sunlight with temps not to be lower than @ 65 degrees when you start the flowering cycle. i think the auto’s were engineered for top tier states that have “winter” issues. the other thing is that if the buds are big the dew is problematic to molding

this is why i went with indoor growing and that is viable for year round smoke and enough to keep even a 2 or 3 ounce a month usage in pot. you can legitimately get 3 grows in a year but i have decided to take the winter months off instead of the perpetual grow i was planning on so i don’t have to fight the “winter drys” that we have here.

i would not think i would start auto’s indoors to transplant outdoors until around april figuring around 6 weeks inside before putting them outside, but that depends on how far north you are.
i also have only done photos indoors as i want control over when they go to flower. because my tents are only 6 ft tall because of indoor height restrictions i do a 30 to 40 day veg cycle. this keeps your plants somewhat smaller and helps with getting in 3 grows per year.

my second grow was 5 blue dream and a candy kush in a 4x4x6 ft tent and i got 17 ounces…

3 Likes

Welcome to ILGM, and from another Michigander as well.
You could still grow a photoperiod, just throw a black tent/plastic over it to force flowering so she finishes in time for fall.
I’m same side of the state but south of you.
I’m exclusively an indoor grower, and you’re more than welcome to tag along in my grow journal. I would grow outside if I could.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forums if you do auto flowers you can probably get to grows in a year compared to one with feminized

1 Like

Welcome to the forums.

I grow inside because thieves are worse than any weather we have here in southeast michigan.

Oh and yes try autos. I gave some seeds to a friend and they worked out great for him outside !!!

3 Likes

I’m just south of you dirty mitten guys, I envy y’all in that you live in a free’er state than I currently do. I still have to be stealthy about my goings ons.

2 Likes

Even though its legal in MI, its not widely accepted yet. Being stealth is a must. I use a charcoal filter vented to the exterior. It keeps the odor out of the house and no exterior odor to attract neighbors.

1 Like

That’s fucked up. They call it legal but you still have to hide.

Don’t really have to hide… as much as looked upon as less of a person, or a person with a drug problem. Along with a multitude of other things.
Hence the screen name lol.

1 Like

I know exactly what you mean. I know people who drink like fishes that look down their noses at those of us who smoke pot. I have a very small circle who know that I smoke. Even smaller circle that knows I grow.

2 Likes

I like being a covert grower. lol. It not about being looked down upon. The law is pretty clear. You have the freedom to enjoy your weed and grow plants in your home and outside but it needs to be in your private back yard. No big deal. Me personally, I want to keep it to myself. No one business.

3 Likes

morning all. farmerjohn in the 49660 area. on my first grow, but not in michigan yet. i’ll explain that later. i too have an issue with growing outdoors. i’m in a retirement community. not my own land. so that’s out of the question. i’ve read the by-laws of the community, no mention of growing mary jane on site either. so i prefer to keep a low profile. these retirement communities, people ARE nosy as f*ck!!! i keep to myself. i do NOT go out of my way to make any “friends” in this place. i don’t even say hi to anyone.

with that being said, anyone headed to any 420 gatherings come march or april? i see the soaring eagle in mt pleasant is having an event. there’s another event in lansing also. just asking. i see a lot of “happenings” in the southeast side of the state, but nothing up in my area or farther north

Just an update on autos in nw michigan.
AK47 and Jack Herer autos from ilgm seeds planted indoors April 1, 2020. Transplanted to 3 gal pots at 3 weeks. Kept as patio plants til June 1 then outside all the time.

Ak47 auto is nearing the finish line, Jack Herer is at least a month away. These plants were treated identically. Jack’s are just starting to show a few pistils.

Either Jack is a lot longer season plant or perhaps mislabeled and is actually a photo type. see pics if i can find out how to post them.

2 Likes