Merry Christmas ILGM

Merry Christmas!!

2 Likes

Merry Christmas to all!

2 Likes

Now thats all beautiful sight! Xmas tree decorations and sparkling trichomes!

1 Like

Thank you!! I thought it looked pretty cool to with just the Uva light shining and just enough background light to shine on the cola

1 Like

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!

2 Likes

Thanks, yes I will definitely post a few shots once I start growing, and Iā€™ll likely have millions more questions at that time as well.

Itā€™s great how warm and welcoming this forum is, I didnā€™t even know that was still legal on the internet in 2021. :laughing:

1 Like

Haha i know what you mean! Its a nice change of pace on here, for sure. So much arguing on social mediaā€¦its nice to have a forum like this where you can be friendly while actually learning and benefiting from each other.

2 Likes

Thanks again for your responses, btw as long as Iā€™m writing, I do have a question. I was reading up about Feminization of seeds, but nothing Iā€™ve seen mentions how successful it is? So I guess Iā€™m asking is, hire often make seeds end up in a batch?

I realize nothing is foolproof, so itā€™s not a deal breaker, but it could effect how many plants I aim to start for my first grow, as Iā€™d hate to only start one or two, and have one turn out to be a male. Iā€™m sure itā€™s unlikely, but it would really suck, and Iā€™m afraid it could be enough to spoil the gun of starting to grow, and this keep me from continuing.

Take care
John

1 Like

Im pretty new to this whole expercience. Currently in my 2nd grow and this is the first time ive used feminized seeds. The three that germinated are all female as far as i can tell. Ive also read that its like 99% effective, but one of the more expercienced growers should know.

Just wanted to add when i say the 3 that germinated, thats because 2 did not, but these specific seeds were not bought from ilgm. They were purchased in a brick and mortar hydro shop and not only were they much more expensive, it was only 60% germination rate. This is why i made my first order from ILGM very recently and i feel a lot more comfortable knowing this forum is here and the customer service will work you. The other company never even bothered emailing me back, where as ILGM has been sending me emails with information.

@oldmarine @dbrn32 @Covertgrower @Borderryan22 @Pet_de_Chien could you help with a question regarding how many feminized seeds actually turn out to be female vs male? I was going to use a block quote but apparantly i dont know how lol

1 Like

The whole point of making feminized seeds is there is no male in the mix. No male equals no male gene equals no males.

Now a plant might hermie, but that is a separate issue.

6 Likes

:point_up_2: :point_up_2: Right there. Straight to the point.

3 Likes

They should all be female plants. The process of making feminized seeds requires a female plant to be stressed into making pollen. This pollen is then collected and then applied to a female plant. Basically breeding with xx chromosomes in lines of how we are taught in grade school. The problem that sometimes can occur is that not all genetics arenā€™t strong enough to hold through this process and will go hermaphrodite. Sometimes strain may just be poorly breed, others can be done all correctly and a recessive gene can come out in the process. Those plants will have both male and female parts.

3 Likes

I love learning about this stuff lol.

Is it true that if you can get a female plant to hermie through other means, even by accident, that those seeds will be feminized as well? I know it was confirmed in another thread by someone, but im curious what someone at moderator level has to say.

1 Like

They should all be female plants.

Just testing if i figured out blockquotes

1 Like

Absolutely. You can get regular seeds to go hermaphrodite under certain conditions. I donā€™t know that a comprehensive study has been done, but I feel like itā€™s much less likely to see true regular seeds to go herm in my experience.

The most desirable genetics should be hearty enough to take a little stress without going hermaphrodite though. If theyā€™re not, then they shouldnā€™t be that desirable. Also possible for this just to passed along genetically with nothing done by user.

Female plant that produces male parts and seeds itself will be feminized just the same as doing as doing it on purpose. The problem with this is that the seeds created are also likely to do the same thing. A plant doing this naturally in reasonable conditions can and will pass same trait to its offspring in a lot of cases.

2 Likes

So are feminized seeds that we buy more likely to go hermie, or is it done late enough in the process that they wont have a chance to pass it on?

Has really nothing to do with being done late or early. When breeding it pretty much has to be pollinated early so seeds have enough time to mature. I do feel like feminized seeds are more likely to go hermaphrodite than regular, but I have no idea what the actual rate is. That being said, breeders have gotten pretty good at this process over the years. Stay with reputable breeders and research strains you are buying instead of bargain hunting with what you can get the cheapest or the most freebies and youā€™ll probably have very little to no problems. Also remember that level of care plays into this pretty heavily.

2 Likes

Sounds like a plan. I wont be germinating these ilgm seeds until after my current grow is complete, but if i get a good germination rate from them, ill be sticking with them. Im hoping for near 100%, but 80%+ will be acceptable.

Thanks for all the great info. Growing mj is like gardening on steroidsā€¦i absolutely love this.

1 Like

@dbrn32 @oldmarine

Okay thank you, I realized the goal was to have all female seeds, but I didnā€™t realize that the methods used to produce them completely eliminated the chances of a male seed, I guess I assumed it was something that was ā€œmostly effective,ā€ although I had read that to much stress, or being exposed to light during the dark phases, can cause them to hermie.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, and saving me some cash, as I was leaning toward using one of the genetic testing companies to make sure my first grows were all female, because Iā€™ll likely only do 2, or at most 3 plants. While I know I could still mess up and cause them to become hermaphraditic, but at least I wonā€™t find out halfway through the grow that 1 of my 2 plants is a male.

2 Likes