Merlin's Grow Log

Hey @Pheno, that was from my last grow before taking a bit over a year off from growing. I needed to get rid of my excess (through my vape and gifting to friends) before growing any more.

My current grow will not be as productive because I was out of practice. Going forward I will limit my grows to two to four plants in order to not accumulate insane surpluses that I must deal with.

8 Likes

We should all be fortunate enough to have insane amoun :rofl: :bat:ts of weed to ponderā€¦ great growing

4 Likes

I can only hope to have that problem

4 Likes

@thecount13 @Pheno When I set my main room up, I had never grown before and had the goal of providing enough for my personal use. Mrs Merlin does not use cannabis. I figured that if I could get an ounce or so from each of six plants I would be just fine.

Well, my first grow was 4+ oz per plant and from there I actually learned to grow and now get from 12 to 18 oz per plant. I had no idea what I was doing or getting into. It took me a while to become confident that the high yields were not just a fluke. I am now dialed in to how much I can grow and use.

14 Likes

Life goals brother. Life goalsā€¦.

14 Likes

Yeah, those yields are far more than I need but since I can, I do. :joy: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl: :v:

Would not have been possible if Mrs Merlin had not given me the go ahead on the light builds.
Not to mention the GREAT help from everyone on this site.

14 Likes

We have Lady Slippers in the North East as well. Very rare to see them and so pretty. I would guess theyā€™re part of the orchid family

11 Likes

Ha! It is an orchid.

12 Likes

Perfect, thank you @AfgVet. I have not seen a Lady Slipper for over sixty years. The Lady Slippers that we have are much paler in color than the photos that you shared but those are exactly what we went looking for. Even as little boy kids, my brother and I knew that they were a rare beauty and never picked them.

10 Likes

Oh yes!!! We were practically scolded for even looking at them, we didnā€™t want to know what would happen if we picked one.

And ours are a bit paler as well, more pink than purple from what I remember.

11 Likes

Indeed, same here. It was considered a special experience to find them. We knew a place deep in the old growth a couple of miles into the forest from our house that always had Lady Slippers every spring. Only for a few weeks then gone until the next year.

I remember crying when that area was logged in the early 60ā€™s

8 Likes

I want to say weā€™d fine them in thick pine areas. There was an old boy scout camp right next to my house that we would hang out and play at or take the dogs for walks. Pretty much a bed of pine needles everywhere. Makes sense if they are orchids, theyā€™d like the pine needles to root in I guess.

Now I may have to look for them again while Iā€™m home this spring

7 Likes

Best of luck to you in that quest if it happens. Take a photo to two. I wish I had been old enough and smart enough to think of taking photos.

7 Likes

They also like the high humidity and low light levels found the deep forest.

5 Likes

Pics for sure, if Iā€™m lucky enough to see one!!

4 Likes

Phew! All caught upā€¦ Iā€™ve been away for a while and a lot has been happening here. The plants are busting out of their cribs! Toddlerhood is gonna be crazy.

And last spring we had tons of Lady Slippers (and Jack In the Pulpits) in the forests around here. They were wonderful. (And by ā€œtonsā€ I mean, weā€™d see a few, sometimes 6-12 on every hike, but it was always special.)

Be well!

8 Likes

I agree, seeing 6-12 Lady Slippers on one hike is a ā€œtonā€. The spot that we explored as kids had 6-8 on any given year.

5 Likes

It has been nine days since flippingā€¦This morning I did a little bit of tucking but from here on out I will remove a few leaves when the mood strikes me but will let them grow vertically in hopes of some nice colas, eight or nine weeks from now.

Happy growing and have a great weekend.

18 Likes

Your white widow is looking beautiful!

Andā€¦ you look familiar. Lol. :wink:

Happy growing, Merlin!!!

6 Likes

It has been 11 days since flipping (to flower). I was time to remove some leaves as they complete the transition to flower.

Blue Haze before trimming:

And Blue Haze after trimming:

White Widow before trimming:

And White Widow after trimming:

This is the packed down pile of leaves that I removed:

I expect to do one more significant defoliation in about a week or so. I donā€™t remove nearly as many leaves as most folks. My objective in trimming is to cause the plants to respond as though a critter (deer or some such) has come through and munched on them. Later, as the final bud sites are established, I will remove any leaves that block light from the bud sites.

There are very few potential bud sites below the screen. What few remain will be removed over the next few days as I find them.

25 Likes