Merlin's Grow Log

Your questions are perfectly reasonable. My only exposure to cannabis cultivation has been on this site. I have no idea how others manage their grow rooms. I tend to be very strict about keeping the grow environment dialed in but I am not so strict about the details of watering and whatnot. I water (a lot) when they get dry and prune when the mood strikes me. I follow manufacturer’s charts for nutrients. Not very imaginative but is works OK for me.

Edit: Regarding watering…At this point I am still “hand watering” because they don’t use that much water. Very soon I will use the transfer pump and 3 ft long wand that I built to flood the pots. This grow is only two plants so my routine may need to be adjusted. In past grows I had six to eight plants (mostly six). With six plants it took the entire 10 gallon water/nute reservoir for each watering, thus the pump and wand. With just to two plants I am not certain, I may just put 3 gallons in the reservoir and proceed as in the past.

8 Likes

Thanks! You (actual) guys are very helpful!

Good to know that the long-spout watering cans work well; last week, I was looking at some online.

Also, I’ll play around with the soft wire - thanks for the tip, @kaptain3d

6 Likes

When your plants have transitioned to vegetative growth (from seedling stage) they are quite robust and can withstand and sometimes benefit from quite a lot of rough treatment. Each morning (after the morning photos) I bend them around and generally beat them up a little bit as I inspect for any anomalies. If I break something off I just toss it and don’t sweat it (sometimes I will root it and grow the clone). In truth, it has been a while since I broke or cut something by accident. As you gain experience you will get a “feel” for how far to go with any given activity.

7 Likes

Copper hit an all time high the other day. 4.75/lb

3 Likes

Perhaps I should strip the wire out of my house and sell it for scrap. LOL

4 Likes

I have a 5 gallon bucket of scraps I’ve been saving for years.

1 Like

Ten years ago or so a woman I used to cut the grass for passed and her sister inherited the house. She had it on the market for sale and someone came in stole all the plumbing and electrical one night.

3 Likes

I have heard of that…in our area several years back construction and industrial sites were being hit for both copper and aluminum.

6 Likes

I live in a new development and the second filing construction was overrun with thieves stealing lumber. Had to hire security for that and to protect the dumpsters.

7 Likes

I use that same soft wire that Merlin posted and apparently I’m a real miser. I bought one roll in 2018 and have only used about half of it. I just keep reusing the little bits I’ve cut off and used for previous plants. Of course it helps that I only ever grow two plants at a time. (And I did also get some other twisties that I use to connect to a pot or scrog screen sometimes, but not to a plant.)

4 Likes

Correction: I “quoted” what @kaptain3d posted in the previous post. Not a big deal to me but I just don’t want to take credit for a good idea that was not mine.

6 Likes

It has been 49 days (7 weeks) since my White Widow and Blue Haze sprouted. Everything is going well despite a couple of errors that I made early on. We are the boring stage of this grow when the plants are just busy growing. In a couple of weeks, it will be time to flip them to flower.

To make this weekly update more interesting I will post three photos of each plant over a two-week period. First, I will post the three photos of the White Widow and then the Blue Haze.

White Widow Two-Weeks ago:

The same White Widow just One-Week ago:

And Finally the White Widow this morning:

This weekly update will continue in the next post…

18 Likes

Blue Haze Two-Weeks Ago:

Blue Haze Last week:

And the Blue Haze this morning:

Happy Growing everyone and thank you for dropping by.

23 Likes

Cute ladies you’ve got there Mister Magic Man! :star_struck:

9 Likes

Thanks @kaptain3d, they are healthy but a bit stubby. I was out of practice for this grow and did not manage the light levels very well.

9 Likes

I don’t know if that’s the issue, my GDP from current grow refused to grow. Even during early flower she refused to stretch. The girl right next her grew like a weed :grin::rofl:

8 Likes

I wasn’t very impressed with my GDP last year: fought low N levels the entire grow. No other plant behaved like it and flower production wasn’t up to standards. Dense flower but low terpene profile.

12 Likes

My previous GDP from the same batch of seeds was outstanding. Nice long colas, heavy dense buds, covered in trichomes and stank to high heaven. This one was the same except for the growth. :thinking:

8 Likes

Always have liked your before and Afters! The camera angles are always dang near exact !

10 Likes

Thanks @Joshmcginnis28, I figure that to be useful (for analysis) the camera angles and zoom factors should be close from one photo to the next. I take photos each morning when I go down to inspect them. Most days there is noticeable growth over a 24-hour period.

12 Likes