Merlin's Grow Log

Didn’t think so! :no_entry_sign: :shower: :grimacing: :joy: :rofl:

4 Likes

Looking good Merlin. I see you haven’t lost your touch. I just finished up my last grow and am starting again.

3 Likes

Thanks @roost1 I look forward to see your next batch.

2 Likes

Lookin great @merlin44 ! Your Blue Haze looks a bit like my current Golden Leaf… perfect little domes.

And @kaptain3d’s video got me hankering for my own supercropping session, though I have another week or so before I’ll do that… and then lay down the scrog net. 'Keeping my eye out for your scrog hoops!

3 Likes

Thanks for dropping by @WonkaMan , our grows are trucking along in lock-step.

1 Like

Yesterday I posted a pair of photos showing the growth over 24 hours. I also posed the question as to whether anyone could tell which is the main top on my Blue Haze. As a reminder, I did not top this time around. I have only used LST so far but will start super cropping when the SCROG frames go on.

Any way, without further au due here is the same photo of the Blue Haze (at 44 days old) with an arrow indicating the main top:
BHZ 44 Days Old with Arrow

Are any of you surprised at which one is the main?

18 Likes

I would have picked the one just above the right one… :man_facepalming:

But very nice shape! :star_struck:

4 Likes

From a casual look I might have picked that one or one of the others in that area too. I am not certain how many of the current tops will remain when I get the SCROG frame in place. There is very little growth remaining under the main canopy. I have been incrementally cleaning it up down there.

I plan on taking a few cuttings for clones just before flipping to flower so I will save a few lower branches for that.

7 Likes

Yes and no. You did such a good job that it could have been any one, in my untrained eyes, anyway.

Speaking of the wires you used for LST, in addition to 12 or 14 gauge round wire, are there certain kinds that are better for avoiding rust or whatnot? Probably another silly-ish question, :crazy_face: , but I want to learn.

3 Likes

This is what I use…

Amazon.com : YDSL Soft Plant Tie, Garden Wire Tie for Plants Heavy Duty Reusable Plant Twist Ties for Gardening Home Office (Green, 32.8 feet) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Works great and doesn’t damage the plants… :smile:
Maybe our Master Magician uses something else though?.. :nerd_face:

5 Likes

I use solid wire (as opposed to stranded) that is used for electrical work. It is copper so does not rust. There may be an infinitesimal amount of copper ions added to the soil which should not be a problem. I use this wire because it works and I have plenty of it laying around in the shop. Most any wire that is stiff enough to push into the soil will work or you could just clip or tie a less stiff wire to the sides of your pot.

Any method that you come up with that holds the plant in the position that you want it is fine so long as it does not cut into the stem of the plant. If it cuts the stem, remove it and try something else.

6 Likes

This from the yahoo that just started a thread specifically for punishing his plants. :joy: :rofl: :thinking:

11 Likes

Got me! :smiling_imp:

12 Likes

@Twelve1
I am certain that a dedicated product like this will work super well. I think this stuff can be wrapped around the stem and then bent to suit your desires. The wire that I use is too stiff to do this because you would run a high risk of breaking the stem if you tried to wrap the wire around the stem in order to shape it.

5 Likes

That way you can have your branches going in any direction you need/desire…

That’s exactly what I do with it… amongst other things… :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

Thanks!

I actually purchased soft garden wire about a year ago … haven’t used it … been too scared to … damage my plants (bending them) … :scream: :rofl:

But the soft garden wire won’t work to stake into the soil, right?

Another thing is, how do you water evenly when the plant is tied all over the pot? (sorry about my kindergarten-hour questions, lol!)

3 Likes

Hahaha! One of those Oops, ohh chit moments… lol Been there done that. I’m bad about calling folks brother… until I find out they’re not… lol :rofl::joy::rofl:

4 Likes

When they are in the final 10-gallon pots I water flood to drought so the water goes everywhere and then soaks in.

4 Likes

Yes it will. If you start when the branches are young enough, you’ll get enough traction by planting one end of the wire in the soil ( I twist it a bit and “screw” it in the soil) and just looping it on the branch you want to train…

And for watering, a lot of growers use “watering pump” :

Amazon.com : VIVOSUN 1 Gallon Lawn and Garden Pump Pressure Sprayer with 3 Water Nozzles, Pressure Relief Valve, Adjustable Shoulder Strap : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I use a regular long spout watering can… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Something similar to this:

Amazon.com : Fabulas Watering Can, Indoor Outdoor Plant Watering Cans, Long Spout Plastic Water Can for Houseplants, Garden Flower Watering Pot with Detachable Spray Head, Modern Style, 60oz 2/5 Gallon 1.8 L : Patio, Lawn & Garden

2 Likes

I also assume that most of the forum members are male; why, I dunno, really. But no offense taken, at all, by anyone. I’ve been called “dude” on the forum, lol; I don’t care and I get it. :slight_smile:

6 Likes