Merlin's Grow Log

The mesh/screen is made from three of those expandable child fences that you use to keep little kids from falling down stairs or keeping pet contained. They are plastic and were on clearance at a local store. Could have built something but would have cost more for materials and taken more time. The existing holes in the fencing is perfect to stick 3/4" pvc pipe through. No glue so is collapsible.

Each child fence has two pieces, I took them apart and made two of these racks with three fences and 10 10ā€™ pieces of 3/4 pvc pipe. Plus a bunch of pvc pipe connectors.

I was going to use a hanging net like you, @DoobieNoobie, but became concerned that the really large colas will crush if laid flat so decided on the hybrid solution, both flat and hanging.

4 Likes

Good thinking. Iā€™m hoping to have a dedicated drying area eventually. Something like that would work well in the space I plan to use. But thatā€™ll have to wait. Lol I have much bigger plans than I have budget lol.

3 Likes

Seems to be a common problem. Baby stepsā€¦some is better than none.

3 Likes

Yep indeed. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m doing a small section at a time. But itā€™ll get there eventually.

4 Likes

With those huge grows of yours, @merlin44, are you still trimming by hand, or have you bought a bud trimmer? If you have a trimmer, are you saving the big colas and doing those by hand still? My kids gave me a bud trimmer over the holidays and I havenā€™t quite figured out what Iā€™m going to do with this next growā€¦ though I have several months to figure it out. It all ends up in jars and then a grinder at some point anyway, so Iā€™m not too concerned about display value. But Iā€™m curious what youā€™re doing.

2 Likes

Hey @WonkaMan, thanks for dropping by.
I am estimating about 3 lbs plus for this grow.

I donā€™t have a trimmer but have seriously considered it. It takes me a little over an hour to trim each plant. This grow has eight plants. A lot of work!

I trim by hand, I remove fan leaves during last week before chop, then trim them wet, before rinsing in H2O2 water and hanging to dry. When dry, I do the final trim before the cure. I am not sure that the trimmers would even work properly with colas that are 8" - 18" in length and 2" - 5" in diameter. The smaller stuff (popcorn?) would be great in a trimmer but I donā€™t bother trimming that, I just process it for kief or bubble hash along with whatever leaf material remains.

I keep the colas as large as possible even though it makes the dry and cure more challenging (risk of mold/mildew) but it is very satisfying to pull out a huge cola. I break it down and grind it as needed. Nobody sees it but me but the aesthetics matter to me.

The first time I loose an entire harvest to mold or mildew, I will start growing much smaller buds LOL

5 Likes

Thanks Man.

Those nasty little spores wouldnā€™t dare infest your grow room!

That does seem like a lot of work, but what the hell? It sounds like a good use of retirement to me! :rofl: Yeah, Iā€™m willing sacrifice the larger colas to the chop to get them to fit into a trimmer. I spent a hell of a lot longer than an hour per plant on trimming, my last go-around. Iā€™m generally slow, as my wife would attest. Iā€™m looking forward to using the 16"-inch trimmer in May. Hopefully Iā€™ll have some good product to trim by then. Grow happy!

4 Likes

I would like to hear how the trim isā€¦I have heard mixed reviews from various sites.

And you are correct, I keep constant vigil for contamination - no spores for my girls!

3 Likes

This Super Silver Haze is 1 1/2 - 2 weeks from harvest. I take a whip and chair into the room when I inspect her, she can get a bit aggressive when she is thirsty LOL.

It is difficult for me to estimate final yields (lack of experience) but this one is huge. High hopes!

@Covertgrower @Momtomask @raustin @WonkaMan @neckNflu
@Holmes @MattyBear @ReMoLu @DoobieNoobie @Dutchem

The new drying rack/system is working very well so far. Much better control of humidity and getting a very even drying profile. I weigh the harvest from each plant each morning. I am trying to improve the consistency of my final product.

18 Likes

Looking awesome!

3 Likes

Wow! Gorgeous buds man! Looks like you have things dialed in nicely :+1::v::bear:

4 Likes

Hey guys, thanks for dropping by to take a look. I can hardly wait to see how much that one cola weighs. Maybe 1/2 oz or more?

I am nearly done with the environmental controls. During the break, while my new plants are still in the tent, I am improving the humidity control and adding red and far red to the system. The far red will be very interesting. I am hoping to exploit the ā€œEmerson Effectā€. The programming is done, just need to mount the physical hardware and test.

3 Likes

That main is a beast indeed! Canā€™t wait to see what the numbers on it are.

2 Likes

I am hoping to dry and cure it intact but do have some concerns regarding mold.
I will wash in H2O2 and hope that does the trick.

Unfortunately, nobody outside the forum will ever see it. Would be fun to whip that baby out at a party or some gathering. Yikes!

I donā€™t use cannabis outside my home and keep it a closely guarded secret even though I am in a ā€œlegalā€ state.

7 Likes

Iā€™m the same way. Just because itā€™s legal doesnā€™t mean I want people to know. I donā€™t care who knows I smoke I just donā€™t want the grow to be known. To me I think thatā€™s a big safety issue.

6 Likes

@merlin44 absolutely beautiful. I hope she becomes even more beautiful as closer to harvest time.

1 Like

She is putting on weight, when the lights come on this evening I need to put more stakes in as she is falling over. There are already a bunch of stakes holding her up. Sheā€™s a fatty.

4 Likes

1 1/2 -2 weeks, she is going to be WAY FAT. Looking at her puts a smile on my face, I can only imagine your grin when you see her. Nice job brother.

4 Likes

No kidding. That thing is a beast already. It looks delicious! Nice job @merlin44 keep up the good work buddy. That is impressive

2 Likes

The SSH from previous grow has incredible flavor and smell. It is a bit like the cannabis equivalent of an ice cream sundae. Very sweet and smooth.
I would like to say it is my favorite but it seems that the strain that I am vaping at the moment is my favorite - it all tastes so good!

I got a chance to try some commercial buds - very moderate effects, poor taste and very harsh. I can only imagine how harsh it would be if smoked. Argh!

Also, made our first successful edibles yesterday. Ate waaaay too much and was out for six hours. 1/2 brownie may be a better dose, two brownies kicked my a$$. Made these out of vaped material ground into flour. Will try some brownies made with cannabutter from vaped material today.

It is nice to finally have success with edibles. Growing is much easier than baking.

@Covertgrower @elheffe702

10 Likes