Mentor expertise for a grower

High
New grower here
Started 2 OG KUSH autoflower seeds on 5-2-23
Planted germinated seeds into soil 5-5-23

GALLON SIZE- 5 gallon(3.6gallon) nursery pot container bought from home depot

Soil-Bruts super soil complete on bottom of container and filled the rest with Happy Frog soil form Fox Farms

I am growing indoors and not using any grown lights since I seen autos don’t require much light to flower
I lightly mist the top of the soil with my water bottle spray
Its 5-7-23 today and a seedling suppose to show in 2-3 days and today is day #2 since i planted them in soil
Not planing on added nutes to plants thats why i purchased and super soil from Bruts I really rather have an water only type grow
So I am looking for mentor help with planting/growing
Should I put a dome on top of the soil and give it some humidity or let it get water on a little sunlight and be patient and let it grow ???
I APPRECIATED WHO EVER IS WILLING TO ASSIST AND A NEW GROWER ALONG THEE WAY

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

What do you have planned for lighting?

You will eventually need nutes of some type regardless of what soil you use.

You are in the right place. The growers here love helping new growers and they have decades of collective growing experience to rely on.

8 Likes

Welcome to the community were glad to have you !

5 Likes

Appreciated ! :face_in_clouds:

4 Likes

I have a little lighting from outside my window that i give it light in the morning
Also about the nutes i read up on super soil so when the plant begins to grow the roots shall get its nutes from the super soil so its an water only grow

1 Like

Window light won’t flower a cannabis plant. Weed is extremely light hungry and needs triple the intensity of many plants. For example, light can be measured in DLI (daily light integral.) Weed requires a DLI of ~45 while other common plants do just fine with a DLI of 15. If you intend to flower the plants indoors, then you will need ~200 watts of quality lighting per plant to effectively flower them. Lights built with Samsung LM301 diodes are a great choice.

You will eventually need nutes. Certainly by the time you get to flower. Get yourself a PPM meter and begin feeding when runoff PPM dips below 1,000.

You might find this helpful:

https://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/The-Marijuana-Grow-Bible-by-Robert-Bergman.pdf?

8 Likes

They do require light! Autos do best on a 18/6 light schedule. Welcome to the community

7 Likes

So lights and nutes and ppm meter
Have to get
Also i skeemed through the grown bible so I have an understanding but now musy do more learning so I could overstand
Home depot is too much but I see they have lights there

4 Likes

Ah shucks thanks lol gota get me a lighting source now
Just growing 2 plants at a time since im limited of space currently

3 Likes

Welcome to the neighborhood. Like @MidwestGuy @TLC have said you will need nutrients and you will need more light. I wish you well and happy growing :blush::v:

6 Likes

No light that you buy at Home Depot is going to get the job done. You want a light built with Samsung LM301 diodes. HLG, Mars Hydro, or Spider Farmer are all decent brand choices. You can expect to pay a little over a dollar a watt for quality lighting, so ~$400 to effectively flower 2 plants.

Inadequate lighting leads to overly tall, wispy plants with poor yield and poor quality weed. Good lighting will get you something like this:

12 Likes

Appreciate it ! Always open to advice of course and thank you :heart::yellow_heart::green_heart:

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Kush_there_it_is

Generally true but I just purchased a mid/good quality 450 watt (Mars Hydro T-3000) for $299.00 on Amazon. That will cover a 4x4 “footprint” from veg to flower. I have been using two 150 watt lights for the same size area and doing “ok”. They (Mars Hydro T-1000s)cost about $125.00 or so each. Mars Hydro is not current technology but is only one generation behind so still quite good.
Here is my current grow without the new light which is on the way now.
A flowering bag seed photo on the left, her clone top center and the rest are autos in varying stages.

6 Likes

Agree still quite good. The difference is that the current top of the line is LM301h. Mars and Spider Farmer use the LM301b diodes, which work great. I have the b model in all of my lights. The h model is about 10% more efficient.

7 Likes

Check out Grow Light Depot dot com for a great selection of brands. I personally use HLG.

8 Likes

Welcome aboard. I agree that you WILL need grow lights indoors. Only part of auto requiring little light is the ruderalis gene. The sativa/indica genes will need the horsepower. Otherwise you will have tall skinny plants with super airy buds and will be disappointed.

5 Likes

That is referring to light/dark cycle not being an issue.
Regular seeds will not flower as long as there are less than 11 or so hours of total darkness per cycle.
Autos are supposed to flower as soon as they are mature enough regardless of dark period.

4 Likes

Technically this will probably work if you have autoflowers so the hours of light wouldn’t matter.

But think of it this way, what you’ve described is basically how one would grow a typical house plant. They stay alive and may grow a little bit, but they basically just “coast along” and if they do grow, its slow… and under these conditions, just water only would maybe make it with a good super soil, but your not going have much in the end :confused:

With cannabis, we want the best harvest we can get, light and nutrients are at the top of the list of importance.
Being a super soil you won’t need alot, top dress or 2 and some teas along the way would do it i imagine, but stick around and keep us posted along the way and you’ll be growing pounds in no time my freind :grin:

3 Likes

Welcome! :hugs: Bit of a newbie here too but you’ve come to the right place. There are so many amazing growers here with a wealth of knowledge but the thing that has stood out the most for me is the patience and kindness of members to share info and help eachother. :two_hearts:

As a newbie my advice would be to document, document, document! My first ‘grow’ was roughly this time last year. I started a grow journal and am now using the information posted and my pictures to compare and tweak my 2023 grow. It’s been a great resource to look back on to see where I went wrong, what I could change and compare the growth of my ladies. :heart_hands:

Good luck! I’ll be following along. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

@HMGRWN @MidwestGuy @dbrn32

But which particular one do you think be good for me(2plants exactly)
So recommendations for perfect grow light???
200-300 watt should do great for only 2 plants

WHICH IS BEST TO BUY COMPLETE SET SO I DONT HAVE TO BUY ANYTHING ELSE WITH IT
ONLY NEED COVERAGE FOR 2 PLANTS

1 Like