Menojuana (aka: A middle aged woman’s attempt at a better quality life grow)

DISCLAIMER: This post is long, but informative - read at your own risk :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Here we go! Buckle up Buttercup, it’s going to be a bumpy ride! :kiss:

A little about me: mom, sister, wife, daughter, old lady who suffers from a few medical issues which MJ seems to help with. I am very nervous about what we are finding on the streets these days and I am also not thrilled with the quality here in the backwater state I live in (Southeastern USA) So with the help of my adult son (who rents out our basement) and my dear amazing immigrant (New Zealand) hubby we came to the decision to try our hand at this grow stuff and see what all the fuss is about! Like I said, my primary motivation is for medical therapy, but I would be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy the well-known side effects of cannabis. My son? Well he also seeks some relief for medical issues, but his primary motivation is the social aspect of weed. All good as I think it should be a crime to continue classifying weed as a class 1 illegal drug. But who am I? No one, really, just trying to live out the rest of my life in as little discomfort as possible and have a little fun while doing it. Hubby does not really indulge - he claims he does not feel different. I beg to differ due to his inability to stop laughing and his ability to make his eyes look like “clown eyes” when he is high. But that is an argument we have agreed to disagree on.

Oh and PS. I have a black thumb so this should be an adventure. I fly fast and loose, my son (an engineer type) is VERY particular and hyper vigilant on details…we figured we would meet in the middle somewhere and hopefully make this a successful endeavor.

So here we go: (picture of gr room)

What we have here is a small storage room in our basement (terrace level) off of hubby’s workshop (3rd garage/boat door type of thing) The room is interior and the only outside wall is against the earth so it stays pretty stable year-round temp wise. The problem is the stable temp runs around 65 degrees and the humidity can get pretty high in there so those were the initial problems we needed to solve.
Our solutions: (picture of gr room build)

Hubby and son framed out the room, added electricity, vented it for an AC duct and return as well as ran an exhaust vent that vents outside (attached to the dryer vent).

Exhaust vent:

Room was lined with drywall and we painted everything white. We were concerned with the heat of the lighting set up we decided to use so we left one wall cement (wall next to the earth) to try to keep things cooler. Ceiling was also installed. We painted everything (walls and ceiling) in flat white paint. Floor is cement.

Dimensions of the room are: 3ft4in X 3ft3in and about 8ft tall so a total of (roughly) 9 sqft floor area and (if you are into this sort of thing) roughly 72 sqft room volume.

Tomorrow I will go into the equipment we have set up

Happy weeding!
Rodri

27 Likes

Welcome @rodri59. You are right where you need to be for growing…even with a black thumb. I’m new myself so giving more moral support than grow advice but there are so many wonderful people here willing to share there knowledge and experience. It’s a great community. I look forward to following along.

10 Likes

Thanks @AnneBonny lord knows I can use all the support I can get :wine_glass:!

Rodri

4 Likes

I’ve buckled up, put on my big girl panties and am ready to join in the fun! Wheeeeeeeeeeeee To quote Hunter S Thompson "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

22 Likes

Love that quote! @FreakyDeekie

5 Likes

Oh me too! One of my favorites! Unfortunately my “big girl panties” consist of granny panties with a Depends insert, so skidding into life broadside might elicit an unwanted response of unprecedented urinal proportions… :blush::laughing:

Just kidding…well mostly…

I am thoroughly used up however::relaxed: :blush:

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing :blush:. After a bad start today (power outage 5 hours & iPhone dying minute by minute) your post made me smile. I’m a beginner also about your age so I’m sending you wishes for good luck and great grows!!!

PS: nice setup and I’m envious :heart:

6 Likes

OMG @SmoknGranny sorry to hear about your bad day! One of my fears is a power outage. Ugh. Hope everything turns out okay for you.

We older women (like fine wine) must age and stick together :giraffe:

4 Likes

I’m thankful this one was short as last time it was 20 hours & high outside temperatures :rage:. And YEP, WE do get better with age!!!
BTW I’m also a southern magnolia originally but living in the Midwest now :blush:

3 Likes

Wow 20 hrs. We suffer through outages now and then, but never last more than 2 or so hours. Of course now that I have said that lol.

I am a transplant to the Southeast by way of the Southwest. I will tell you, this humidity is for the birds! I lived in Omaha for a couple of years when I was younger, not much better ugh. Give me dry, arid heat. I do like the change of season tho…

2 Likes

Looks like a great room in the making… I’m also new to the indoor grow. I’ve found some great information on this awesome site.
I’ll be following along watching and learning

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Awesome @70sChick! Look forward to hearing about your grow :slight_smile:

1 Like

ROFL @rodri59. Back in the day, before retirement, I used to have a lovely little Italian female patient who wanted to make sure she had enough “Dependos” She always made me smile!!

2 Likes

Dependos. HAH! I blame my children, so they are being billed for my “dependos” :

5 Likes

I have a little time before dinner so thought I would get this support ticket thingy out of the way :):star_struck:

Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA: 6 strains in this grow (figured law of averages here lol) Chocolope, Gold Leaf, Super Silver Haze, Purple Haze Northern Lights and Strawberry Kush.

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco? Soil in pots - or will be. 6 seeds were started in FFOF, 4 died. 6 more have been started in Peat Pellets. So far 3 have germinated and sprouted. So currently I have 2 in FFOF and 3 sprouts in peat. So I have a part one and part 2 to all this. But they are only about a week apart in age.

System type? Not sure what this means?

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir? Unk

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS None yet.

Indoor or Outdoor: Indoor

Light system, size?: 400watt MH/HPS

Temps, Day, Night Day: 82f/55%, Night: 73f/ 65%

Humidity; Day, Night: oops, see above

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size, Yes - the 4 -inch inline duct fan system moves 190 CFM

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,: AC yes. All else no, for now.

Co2; Yes, No: No

Edited to update ventilation system.

3 Likes

:rofl: I’m halfway between Omaha and Lincoln and grew up in Florida. Don’t know if it’s age or what but the humidity here is worse. Having said that I’m dealing with low humidity for germination and too high humidity in basement for upcoming curing. Life is always a challenge :+1:

4 Likes

Preach sister @SmoknGranny , always a challenge. If you keep reading my journal you will see what happened to me the last week…ugh. I turned to the peeps here and thank goodness I did. Immensely helpful.

My son was born in Omaha! Small world. I never could get used to the midwest, too flat, too cold in the winter and hot/humid in the summer. I am in Ga now, still working on my opinion of this VERY red and redneck state. lived in Florida for a few years too! Again too humid haha and flat. I did love the winters though and being near the beaches.

Do you have a journal I can follow?

5 Likes

Welcome , I’m also a newbie but you a great choice to grow your own medicine and join this Forum. Everyone here is so helpful and willing to help you with questions you have. There is a lot of awesome people on here all trying for the same goal - good quality and your own weed (medicine). Your going to have a very successful grow and remember to post pictures,we all love pictures plus a expert grower may notice something that you didn’t.
Happy Adventure & Happy Growing
MB🌱

4 Likes

No journal to date. I’m kinda fumbling along and learning as I go. This site is wonderful! I have a partner "in crime " who’s even older than I am. So I’m soaking up her old knowledge and trying to learn the new stuff here. Gotta figure out how you and I can communicate off the boards😊

4 Likes

I love your plan, set up so far and solicitation for advice. That all equals a 99.999% chance of success with all of the experience and kindness shown on ILGM. I am a 56 y/o hippie in the legalized state of Maine and I am midway through my first indoor grow in 19yrs.

Welcone @rodri59 and snoop around, all of the answers are here but hey, you know that!! Best of Luck all around.

6 Likes