Medical marijuana and cbd oil for migraines

The medical properties of marijuana have already been proven by scientists. I know a lot of cases when marijuana helped as with asthma, arthritis, ADHD, autism.
But quite recently, I discovered marijuana for migraines. I struggled with this problem for a long time, tried a lot of different medicines. And now accidentally I found an article in the net about marijuana and permanent migraines and decided to try. Honestly, the effect was not like I expected. Maybe want too much, who knows? I do not know, maybe I need to change the dosage or to take it with some additional aids. Any pieces of advice???

3 Likes

@Grandalyn first off welcome to the community
What strain did you use ?
Each strain will have different effects
Here’s a guide that might help you out

Rubicon Cannabis Strain Information & Review - ILGM

I’m going to tag a older member I haven’t seen him in a while but he was involved with studies for migraines and med cannabis
@Niala if your around can you help out our new member ? Thanks in advance

1 Like

I’ve grown blueberry specifically for migraines and it has helped a ton but puts me to sleep. I’m about 2-3 weeks to harvest a bubblegum which is also recommended for migraines. I know @Bogleg has grown blueberry and a few others and may help out as well.

2 Likes

The blueberry is a great medical strain actually @Midwestnewbie

1 Like

Yes it is and I should prob note I’ve only grown the blueberry autoflower. But will get the blueberry photo seeds in near future.

1 Like

For me blueberry was better on my back and hip pain than opioids. Now growing ww and lsd to see how I like them

3 Likes

I grew it and used it to relieve my back pain as well @Painfree

2 Likes

OG Kush Marijuana Strain

This cannabis strain is quite common and can be found in nearly every dispensary. The reason why it’s at the top of our list is not because it looks pretty but because it has powerful sedative effects. This cannabis strain really takes off the edge and also helps to combat symptoms associated with migraines. OG Kush is a hybrid cannabis strain that contains 20% THC, which will take your mind off your migraine. As most of you probably know, THC has a wonderful effect and can help with different medical conditions.

Why is the OG Kush Cannabis Strain Good For Migraines?

OG KUSH will provide you with a double effect of relief and happiness. Due to its high THC levels it will give immediate relief but the CBD will help to support reducing the pain long term. With this cannabis strain it is important to catch the migraine before it become full blown.

ACDC Marijuana Strain

This is a great cannabis strain for those of you who want a solution but don’t want to get high. ACDC is a high CBD strain that is Sativa dominant. ACDC has a 1:20 THC/CBD ratio, with CBD levels that can reach as high as 19%. It is known for reducing inflammation, which makes it effective at reducing the symptoms of migraines. ACDC is a great cannabis solution for combating anxiety and depression. Furthermore, due to its low THC content, a psychoactive high will never occur. Plus if you smoke this strain while listening to the band, you’ll receive a double dose of joy and relief.

Why is the Cannabis Strain ACDC Good For Migraines?

ACDC is rich in CBD. It is a strange but pleasant cannabis strain and has a sweet and earthy scent. It provides a happy and calm feeling which is perfect for treating chronic pains such as migraines. This strain is also used to treat anxiety, multiple sclerosis, seizures, nausea, tumours and tremors.

Harlequin Marijuana Strain

cannabis for migraines

Harlequin is a 75% Sativa dominant hybrid that has a 5:2 CBD/ THC ratio. It usually has about 4-7% THC and 8-16% CBD and produces the feeling of clear-headed and alertness which may help you get through your day. This cannabis strain is very helpful for people that have high levels of pain associated with their migraines as it has a balance of THC and CBD that allows for good pain relief without an intense high. Harlequin is also known to be relaxing, but non-sedative.

Why is the Cannabis Strain Harlequin Good For Migraines?

Similar to the other cannabis types, this one will do the trick. Harlequin should be used before the migraine becomes full blown so that the impact of the THC and the CBD can do it’s magic. The THC will leave you mildly buzzin’ and the CBD (depending on the CBD levels), will help with the pain.

Purple Kush Marijuana Strain

Some migraines are so bad that the only solution is to relax and wait it off. Most suffers say that sleep helps. Purple Kush is a great solution for that as it induces a numbing sensation that is bound to put you out for the count. Purple Kush is a pure Indica strain that emerged from Oakland after cross breeding Hindu Kush and Purple Afghani Cross. It contains 17-22% THC and 0.07-0.1% CBD.

Why is the Purple Kush Cannabis Strain Good For Migraines?

Apart from making you smile when you look at this beautiful strain, it’s ingredients will do wonders, if used correctly. This strain won’t have the same effect as the other high CBD strains and its powers rely mainly on its THC content. The THC will soothe the intensity of your migraine as long as you are experiencing the euphoric high. This strain is best used before bed or if you have the time to relax and wait off your migraine.

Remedy

As the name says it, this Indica marijuana strain is a powerful remedy for migraines. Similar to ACDC it contains barely any THC and normally has around 15% CBD. Remedy is known for producing a relaxing, mellow feeling which is sometimes exactly what you need to combat a painful migraine.

Why is Remedy Good for Migraines?

You won’t find this strain in every dispensary but it is one that should be on your list. Similar to all strains, you should try to catch the migraine before it knocks you out for the count. Remedy is a strain that will instantly combat your migraine but won’t put you out of action.

But Wait…

What if you don’t have access to medical marijuana, are there other migraine solutions?

Marinol for Migraines

This is not a solution we recommend but something that we had to discuss in this article. In 2004, big Pharma came up with a synthetic version of THC and released Marinol to the market. Since then it has become the primary drug used for migraines, along with Sativex.

Marinol is a basically an industry developed THC that is dissolved in sesame oil. Marinol is very similar to THC, but one is natural and the other is not. It is used for a variety of medical conditions including HIV/AIDS, Cancer and more…It is listed as a Schedule III substance, which is crazy when you think about it, as it will make you as high as a kite. Much more than natural THC. Unless of course you are smoking some 80% THC strain.

While it may be a solution for some, it is given only with a prescription. Just remember, it is a pharmaceutical product and it is synthetic. Our advice, stick with the real thing if you can.

Final Thoughts About Cannabis as a Treatment for Migraines

Does this mean that you should rush out to your local dispensary and pick up a few cannabis strains? Definitely not! Marijuana consumption should be done responsibly. Whenever you are trying new strains, make sure you start off slow and similar to all new things it’s best to consult with a professional.

3 Likes

Good info @Hungrybud :+1:

1 Like

Keep talking to us @Grandalyn and we will all help to ease your pain somehow, have you heard of juicing the plant? Oh and if you have migraines i would jus smoke ACDC do not listen to them, even though they are one of the best Aussie rock bands i am sure listening to them would not help your migraine.

Oh, juicing the plant? Probably not. Could it help me? How to take it and where can I get it?

There is a great story on two Australian girls with crohns who benefit from this juicing, google stephen taylor and his daughters Morgan and Ariel and cannabis juicing, it will make you smile, as they are now doing great.
Just a thought make sure your plants are organic as possible for the juicing.

A lot of people juice them.

Aside from the fact that cannabis is technically a vegetable with many of the same nutrients as other leafy greens (like fiber, iron and calcium), it is jam-packed with beneficial Cannabinoids that are unique to the Cannabis plant. Juiced cannabis is a nutritionally-dense, very potent medicinal compound, without the psychoactive components normally activated when heating the plant.

Wish i could put the link up.

The high concentration of raw cannabinoid acids in juiced cannabis, coupled with the perfect balance of fatty acids, could help improve cell function and reduce damage caused by free radicals. Additional benefits of raw, juiced cannabis include reduced inflammation and the facilitation of two-way cellular communication. Many cannabinoids also have anti-tumor properties which are readily available through the consumption of raw marijuana.

Juicing Health Benefits

While smoked or vaporized cannabis can in fact be used as a medicinal therapy, juicing raw cannabis can help prevent health issues before they even arise. Coined the “most important vegetable on the planet” by some, mainly because it can assist with immune system function, provide anti-inflammatory benefits, and improve bone metabolism and neural function. In fact, research has shown medical marijuana may even help inhibit cancer cell growth. Google Medicaljane :+1:

Background

Medicinal cannabis registries typically report pain as the most common reason for use. It would be clinically useful to identify patterns of cannabis treatment in migraine and headache, as compared to arthritis and chronic pain, and to analyze preferred cannabis strains, biochemical profiles, and prescription medication substitutions with cannabis.

Methods

Via electronic survey in medicinal cannabis patients with headache, arthritis, and chronic pain, demographics and patterns of cannabis use including methods, frequency, quantity, preferred strains, cannabinoid and terpene profiles, and prescription substitutions were recorded. Cannabis use for migraine among headache patients was assessed via the ID Migraine™ questionnaire, a validated screen used to predict the probability of migraine.

Results

Of 2032 patients, 21 illnesses were treated with cannabis. Pain syndromes accounted for 42.4% ( n = 861) overall; chronic pain 29.4% ( n = 598;), arthritis 9.3% ( n = 188), and headache 3.7% ( n = 75;). Across all 21 illnesses, headache was a symptom treated with cannabis in 24.9% ( n = 505). These patients were given the ID Migraine™ questionnaire, with 68% ( n = 343) giving 3 “Yes” responses, 20% ( n = 102) giving 2 “Yes” responses (97% and 93% probability of migraine, respectively). Therefore, 88% ( n = 445) of headache patients were treating probable migraine with cannabis. Hybrid strains were most preferred across all pain subtypes, with “OG Shark” the most preferred strain in the ID Migraine™ and headache groups. Many pain patients substituted prescription medications with cannabis (41.2–59.5%), most commonly opiates/opioids (40.5–72.8%). Prescription substitution in headache patients included opiates/opioids (43.4%), anti-depressant/anti-anxiety (39%), NSAIDs (21%), triptans (8.1%), anti-convulsants (7.7%), muscle relaxers (7%), ergots (0.4%).

Conclusions

Chronic pain was the most common reason for cannabis use, consistent with most registries. The majority of headache patients treating with cannabis were positive for migraine. Hybrid strains were preferred in ID Migraine™, headache, and most pain groups, with “OG Shark”, a high THC (Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol)/THCA (tetrahydrocannabinolic acid), low CBD (cannabidiol)/CBDA (cannabidiolic acid), strain with predominant terpenes β-caryophyllene and β-myrcene, most preferred in the headache and ID Migraine™ groups. This could reflect the potent analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-emetic properties of THC, with anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties of β-caryophyllene and β-myrcene. Opiates/opioids were most commonly substituted with cannabis. Prospective studies are needed, but results may provide early insight into optimizing crossbred cannabis strains, synergistic biochemical profiles, dosing, and patterns of use in the treatment of headache, migraine, and chronic pain syndromes.

Keywords: Cannabis, Cannabinoids, Marijuana, CBD, Cannabidiol, THC, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol, Migraine, Headache, Terpenes, Arthritis, Pain

to get rid of migraine and more sleep is what matters to me - thanks guys for the info

2 Likes

New member here.
Ive been micro dosing using a herb vape.
I no longer have to take unpaid days off work as it works so well treating nausea, headache, joint pain and low energy levels.
Its illegal here so have always had to take whatever I can get on the black market. Never know what it is unfortunately but now ive ordered some seeds here I should be sorted next season.

Thanks for all the info team.

Fergus

1 Like

Where did you copy and paste all that info from? Please cite your source so we can go read the whole thing.

Here’s the source for this post:

1 Like

Medicaljane got the info from this:

This

is where you got this info from:

Please, at least put quote marks around the stuff you just copy and paste. That way, people know they’re not your words.

Marijuana might be one under-the-counter remedy for migraine relief. Some research shows that it may help ease migraine symptoms or possibly keep them from starting. But most studies haven’t found solid proof of that.

The THC CBDcombination reduced migraine attacks by 40.4 per cent, while amitriptyline led to a 40.1 per cent reduction in migraine attacks. The THC CBD combination also reduced the intensity of the pain by 43.5 per cent.

1 Like