Measuring ppm in soil runoff

@Myfriendis410

Well guess what? Ph was Way off. Not sure if I need to upgrade from the little yellow bastard or just calibrate it weekly. This would also explain my watermellon plant getting destroyed on the porch. I just poured 8.5ph in and 5.3 came out. I’ve got sledgehammer flush headed in.

With regard to my gorilla girl I don’t know her current ph. I presume I should flush her out, wait a day or so and then feed her 1200 ppm?

1 Like

If you are just waiting for a new meter it might be better to just give water only (if under 100 ppm don’t bother to PH) as feeding at too high or low could be a problem.

You don’t think I should use the flush to knock out any extra nutrients?

You can if you want and probably not a bad idea.

But wait until your PH meter arrives.

Ok ran the sledgehammer in. I mixed up 1/4 gal at 270 ppm and 6.5 ph (calibrated). Output was 2300 and 5.7 ph. That sound like she was locked up and is now unlocked? Some of those rust orange spots spread and the leaves turned up so I definitely have something going on.

@Myfriendis410 So you dont have to read back through the posts… previous ppm in was 850 in 1671 out. This time sledgehammer PPM in was 270 in 2300 out. PH in 6.5 out 5.7

Seems like it flushed to me but look forward ro your feedback and next steps.

I would have waited until PH meter arrives but okay. Sounds like it’s pulling stuff out of media. When you resume feeding, no higher than 1,200 ppm in soil.

1 Like

Oh I got calibration fluids and calibrated it then checked it against my pool chemical ph kit. It’s within .1

1 Like

@Myfriendis410. What kind of meter do you use?

I wants so bad! I wishes I could afford!

Damn. That’s a nice one. I ordered a 50$ Apera one after the second yellow stick turned out to be crap. It’s getting good reviews on this forum.

1 Like

Apera makes a good unit: I’ve worn out 2 of them. Good choice.

@Myfriendis410

Afternoon Friend, I got my new PH meter in and went to water a plant we knew was PH’d locked out due to that faulty meter I had.

I used sledgehammer on 8/13.

Today I went to water and used the high PH range at 6.9 - 7 with a PPM of 70. I got 5.4 and 4200. I decided to go ahead and rinse this lady out with higher PH water because she is locked up so I proceeded to flush with PH 6.9-7 (70 PPM) and got the following readings:

1. 4200 5.4
  2. 3300 5.4
  3. 2633 5.3
  4. 3300 5.6
  5. 2966 5.7
  6. 2300 5.5

What should I do about her low PH? She is completely drenched from the flush. She is budding nicely but leaves look terrible. I had to remove some from the kola they had gotten super crunchy.

I left one off.

1. 1828 5.6

@VigorTheCarpathian were you talking about the vivosun brand TDs and ph meter being crap?

The yellow stick ph meter. It’s a real piece of trash. Made me burn up my plants. Lying little bastard.

You got me paranoid I just checked mine against the indicator liquid that came with the pH up and pH down. Still calibrated.

I remember thinking “I’m sure having to use more of this ph down these days, water must be off”. This is the offending POS. And there are a dozen just like it with other brands on them. 2 button yellow

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Meter-Digital-Tester-Water/dp/B01M5IASHD/ref=asc_df_B01M5IASHD/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193975440659&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10404612254013072811&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010671&hvtargid=pla-315455062705&psc=1

1 Like

Yeah that’s the one I have. If it ever reads anything other than 7.85ish after sitting for 24 hours it’ll be going in the trash. Something I do is test my water before I add pH down. It always comes to 7.85 or 7.84. something to consider adding to your routine. Will safeguard you in the future! Assuming you water is consistent coming out the tap like mine is.

1 Like