Measuring PH Question

When watering my plants, I basically take a big bowl and fill it with a gallon of water and then change the PH from there…my question is since it is a bowl is there a sweet spot that I should measure the PH at? Should I submerged the meter and measure at the deepest part? Some insight is appreciated…

1 Like

As long as the water is mixed it doesn’t matter it will all be the same @dmykins

1 Like

@Nug-bug sweet thanks! Another question if I may, I PH my water to 6.5. I an using fabric pots. This last watering I took the pots one by one and put in a container to water and catch run off. The run off was 6.7…what does this tell me exactly other than the soil is 6.7 correct?

2 Likes

@dmykins almost. The soil ph would be some value averaged between the water ph and the soil ph, taken against the sample volumes. You are in a good spot.

2 Likes

Well if it goes in at 6.5 and come out at 6.7 that would indicate that your soil ph is a Lil higher. Like 6.8 6.9 . With 6.8 being :ok_hand:

@Nug-bug Perfect. So I won’t mess with anything on that end. Is it beneficial to say water with PH of 6.3 one watering and the next do around 6.4? Switch it up a little or should I always do it at 6.5?

1 Like

As long as you ph it to 6.5 you should be golden.

1 Like

@dmykins

Here is a little something that may help

Will

While the physics of pH can indeed be complicated, they don’t have to be. When preparing to grow the cannabis plant, it can comfort the grower to remember that cannabis is a hearty herb that has historically been considered a weed in horticultural circles. The cannabis plant wants to live, and will do its best to do so.

The pH scale runs from 1 to 11, with lower numbers being acidic and higher numbers being alkaline. The cannabis plant prefers a pH environment of 5.5 to 6.5. When the pH environment rises in alkalinity above 7.5, the roots are not able to consume the available iron, copper, zinc, manganese, and boron ions in their vicinity, and when the pH lowers into acidity to less than 6 the roots are not able to access phosphoric acid, calcium, and magnesium because they lose their solubility. If the pH drops to between 5 to 3 with temperatures above 26 degrees Celsius fungal diseases become a threat to the plant.
SOIL CULTURE AND PH

Savvy gardeners know that the success of their crop always starts with the condition of their soil. Sandy soils are acidic in nature, clay soils are alkaline. Woodland soil usually falls right in the middle, and is referred to as loam.

One should remember, however, that since woodland soil is created by the process of decay of leaves, bark, and other organic debris, the top soil that is involved in this process will tend towards acidity. It is always best to conduct a simple pH test to determine the identity of the soil, and one’s water as well.

the perfect soil mix for a cannabis plant

Growers of cannabis have praised the results of growing their crops in sandy loam soil, as the sand encourages good drainage and allows the roots to easily grow, while the loamy soil is rich in nutrients and holds water.

There is more to this if you want willjoint

4 Likes