Maui Wowie - Winter Into Spring Grow

Hi Folks.

This is my second grow and my first sativa, so I’m looking forward to these plants (and this community) teaching me a thing or three!

• Strain: ILGM Maui Wowie
  • Soil: Fox Farms Ocean Forest
  • Pots: Final homes will be 5-gallon fabric SmartPots. The seeds are germinated in Rapid Rooters which are placed in solo cups with Espoma Organic Seed Starter - with a bit of extra perlite and mycorrhizal added, to get things going.
  • Indoor 2’ x 4’ x 5’ Vivosun growtent.
  • Ventilation: Vivosun 4” inline fan for extraction from the roof, with passive intake.
  • Lighting: Two 135w v.2 quantum boards (though when they’re little, I’ll just use one of these).
  • Water/Nutes: I will be using RO water and Fox Farms nutes (though with Ocean Forest, I’ve found that it’s hot enough that the plants don’t generally need nutes during veg. In the seedling stage, I’m using distilled water.). I’ll also be supplementing with Photosynthesis Plus.
  • Temps: I’ll be keeping this grow a bit warmer than usual, until someone schools me otherwise. Right now the seedlings are between 80F and 83F (with a heating pad on a thermostat set to 80* under them).
    Humidity: I don’t have a humidifier in my tent. I hang damp towels, and place bowls of water in the tent to keep humidity up. Right now the seedlings are in a dome, so they are at 63-73%RH. I have a dehumidifier in the area that the grow tent is in, to use during flower.

I dropped two seeds on December 28th. (So far I’m 8 for 8 on ILGM seeds popping!)

I soaked them for 24 hours, and decided not to use paper towels this time. I saw that the seeds were splitting at the seams, so I just popped them in Rapid Rooters, to let them sprout and grow from there.

December 29

I covered the holes of the Rapid Rooters with just a wee bit of Seed Starter mix, and gave this a few drops of water.

Two days later, on New Year’s Day, up popped my little girls!

January 1, 2019

I grow the seedlings in clear solo cups (with tons of holes punched in the sides and bottom) so that I can see their root development when they are bigger, to better plan for transplanting them. But since these roots don’t want to be exposed to the light, I put the clear solo cups inside red solo cups (without holes). This way I can use the red cups to catch any runoff from watering. Eventually, these will get transplanted into 5-gallon fabric SmartPots.

January 5

And so the grow begins!..

16 Likes

@purpNGold74, @elheffe702, @hangthebanksters, @ThcinKC, @blackthumbbetty, @NorthernLights, @Randy1966, @Drillbit

Hi All. Happy New Year, and welcome to my next grow! Feel free to tag others who might be interested into this.

7 Likes

I’ll be watching from this side as well. Maybe I should upload a vague grow journal here as well? @WonkaMan

5 Likes

Here and following @WonkaMan!

3 Likes

I’m watching as well, @WonkaMan. I may get and drop some Maui Wowie soon.

4 Likes

I got some MW ILGMs going to, six in late flower, and four clones in veg. Looking forward to your grow

6 Likes

Do you have a grow journal of your MWs, @Sixpackdad? If so, could you tag me in it? I’d love to check it out.

1 Like

Set to watching as well. Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Watching :eyes: Thanks for the tag!

2 Likes

@WonkaMan,

Any comments on 2’ x 4’ x 5’ Vivosun growtent? Pros, cons? Anything you dislike or like?

I was looking at buying one.
Thanks

1 Like

Here watching and learning.

2 Likes

Im here on this side as well. Set to watching n taking :memo:

4 Likes

You know I’m here, WonkaMan

6 Likes

I’ll be following along myself. Good luck and enjoy your grow! PS I learned that clear solo cup trick from this forum and I find it extremely helpful. Thanks for posting. Have a nice morning

4 Likes

Hi @kw_Bat. I am very happy with my Vivosun tent. I also have a MarsHydro 2’ x 4’ x 5.5’. The Vivosun, imo, is of much better quality, especially the zippers and vents. All of these tents, I think, have some small issues with light leaks around the seams, and I don’t know why they insist on making these little windows in the tents which cause more trouble than they’re worth. But all of the brands seem to do this. I’ve never used mine. I just add some duct tape around the window and other flaps. I’ve never had any issues… at least not ones that I didn’t bring to the tent myself.

4 Likes

I’m following! Good luck with the grow.

3 Likes

Thanks @raustin. I think of you every time I am tempted to (over)water these little things. So far I’ve been pretty good about holding off… so far.

5 Likes

I wish there was a way to give more than a simple “like” to posts like this. Spot on, @Budbrother!

3 Likes

Friends visited today and brought a little gift for our home (it’s a coaster)…

11 Likes

I love that coaster! That was a good gift.

3 Likes