Maui Wowie indoor grow - scrogging question

Hi all, I am doing my first indoor grow. Two 2’x2’x60" tents with 2000w LEDs, one from Sonofarms, one from Vivosun. I rehabilitated a White-Widow that was sickly when I got the first tent, and now that it’s finished, I am doing my first indoor grow in the tent from start to finish. One tent has Granddaddy Purple, which I just sprouted yesterday, the other tent has two Maui Wowie, which is the subject of this posting.

I germinated them in water on October 28, tails sprouted within a day and a half, and I planted them in coir / worm castings / perlite in a cup the next day.

I transplanted them into 7-gallon grow bags with Fox-Farms Ocean Forest on November 11.

Now they look like this in the pics below. Compared to other plants I’ve grown this year, there is almost no inter-nodal spacing. This seems to be a known thing with this strain, so I’m not worried.

But I am going to do a SCROG, because I need to keep these lower than they would normally grow, because of the 60" tall tent (low-ceiling basement).

I made a screen with PVC and elastic netting. It will be 24" off the floor or 18" above the soil level. Now I am wondering when I should top them, to encourage branching. I am pretty sure I have a good idea on the rest of it, and there’s so, so many postings here with pics and advice (sometimes it’s like drinking form a fire-hose), but I was hoping somebody who has scrogged Maui Wowie can help me with that bit, again, when to pinch out the top to get some more lateral growth.

Or do I need to do that at all???

Thanks in advance,

EZ

IMG_2642
IMG_2647
IMG_2651
IMG_2652

2 Likes

That does look pretty tightly spaced! Jeez… especially for a Sativa strain like MW

Try lifting your light a bit higher, or turning down the intensity. Less light = more stretch usually.

@oldmarine uve been everywhere this week lol. We gotta stop running into each other like this

4 Likes

I usually top at the 3rd or 4th node. You can top them as soon as the next node (4th or 5th) shows. You can also let it go a bit and take the top as a clone.

1 Like

Here are my 2 maui. last grow I only topped them. this time I topped and SCROG. These are 63 days from sprout

3 Likes

Thanks for the pictures. I’m a “visual thinker”, so this helps a lot.

4 Likes

These plants are really dense. The light is about 18" above the plants if that matters.

Here’s the timeline so far:

Germinated in water, sprouted tails 10.28.
Planted into 50% coir, 50% worm-castings / perlite in small cups 10.28.
Transplanted into 7-gal bags with FFOF and put into tent 11.14.
Pinched the tops out 11.26.
Also changed to 24 hours light that same day.

I’m intending to SCROG these once they get tall enough. Meanwhile will be bending the shoots over and typing loosely with twine to holes punched in the grow-bag fabric.

But in the meantime should I be thinning them out below-deck? They are just so daggone dense underneath.

IMG_2687
IMG_2688

Is there a reason ur running 24/0? Are the autos perhaps? If not, (and even if so) a bit of rest is worth it imo. 20-4 at the least…

They are still kinda small to defoil if my plants… let them catch a few more nodes and you can get under there more easily, and they will recover better (due to more available foliage to photosynthesize)

3 Likes

Thanks. I reduced on time back to 18 hours. Some places say do 24, but I will follow what seems like most people are doing which is 18-6 for veg, then 12-12 for flowering.

Before you replied I already thinned out one plant, then a couple days later did the other one. One I bent down the shoots, the other one I didn’t. Soon will create the screen, just figuring out the mesh to use. I got some netting from amazon, the stretchy kind but I think the squares are too big. Going to Lowe’s today for other stuff so will look at options there.

IMG_0005

3 Likes

And here’s the screen I built:

IMG_0009

2 Likes

@ezwicky how did these finish? Got any pics?

Hahaha. Ur gonna find the MW info huh?

1 Like

I got the mind of Einstein just no time! LoL!

1 Like

Gonna clone them for outdoor this year in a greenhouse and outside so we will see about May as that’s when the powdery mildew wakes up. I’ll have a progress report by November on the Maui Wowie down south in this heat and humidity

2 Likes

You know Ill be here and watching bro. Here and watching

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. My plants are just now starting to flower. Yes, just now!

They had been looking really horrible and like a nutrient lockout but ph tested right at 6.3. I couldn’t figure out why they looked so sick. Then about two weeks ago I fugured it out. Even though I set the timer to 12 on, 12 off, I must have inadvertently moved the little slider switch to “always on” instead of “on the timer”. So these plants were getting 24x7 light for over a month.

After smacking myself on the head, I moved the switch to “timer” and now they are starting to have pistils. I added a second screen to keep them from growing into the lights.

They are back to looking healthy. I will post a few pics this weekend and add to the thread.

2 Likes

Hahahaha. Friggin pothead. Good catch

1 Like

IMG_0199

2 Likes

Looks GREAT here.

Still a bit crowded between nets though.

1 Like

Yeah I will try to get in there and thin them out this weekend.

2 Likes

You should check your plants at night for light leaks and timer and other issues weekly