MarsHydro300w vs. Roleandro(GalaxyHydro) UFO 180w - which is better?

As with most of the cheap grow lights dont really work but they look cool
If they worked they wouldn’t be cheap
It dosnt matter what light you are talking about a watt is a watt and each watt is a watt of heat
So if its 80w thats alot of heat and if it has no heat sink where is the heat going ?
If it isnt not on fire because there is no heat sink it cant be 80w and more light 10w
You have as many light as I do and I have some still in boxes yet to be opened
I think that made sense its post painkiller time here
And be careful with those cheap light some can be dangerous

It has a sink & has no temp. Issues

I just watched a video where a guy did a DIY of 32 of those CBX3590’s. He built 8 4 cob panels. He ended up with about 2.5 grans per watt. He paid 2,600 for his light kits. . He also shows how to convert an old mars hydro fixture into a more efficient 4 or 5 cob fixture . Here is the link if anyone is interested - YouTube

1 Like

that is kind of interesting… notably,…850 watts spread over 32 sq ft… whereas most of us are using around 600 watts in only half that space or less…and he is still netting nearly 2 grams per watt…
based on his parts list it appears one could make an 8 cob panel for about $600 and be using about 215 watts… that is comparable to buying a KIND LED but with a larger footprint and apparently greater light intensity.

Just wanted to add I’ve been using marshydro 2 yrs now same lights working on my third grow I use 2 300watt and I 600 and couple cfl’s for corners if needed

2 Likes

@Iva So is GalaxyHydro (now called Roleandro) still a good brand to shop for LEDs or have a lot of there LED products, other than just the UFO gotten worse ??

I would not know about getting better or worse I al depends on who get the contract to make the lights and what parts is asked for I have found quality to price point mars wins hands down.
From experience with 10 years experience helping my friend imports paint or ammo for paintball we found if you are not there to see and force the quality you will not get it. I am pretty sure when you ask something over the phone they are just nodding on the other end because the common word i got was “yes yes” but mars hydro are there to force the quality but even they got bait and switched a while bad with who made the marsII swapped in cheap diodes and they all failed after 18 months. Mars replaced ones in warranty and sent new diodes to owner out side warranty.
That why I recommend new starter to mars hydro they work. I know alot of ppl use there first mars light as a veg light after up sizing.

I have a Ilgm white widdows grow under 5 cxb3590 at 3500 over 1.2m wide x 65cm deep 185cm high (4ft x 2ft x 6.5ft)
And I am amazed how different they plants are growing compered to my past grows and a current one with the same clone under a normal spider-man LED.
They look light they are spread up like a HPS but has the outdoor shape. The normal Spiderman LED grow they ball up and grow huge fat dark green leaves.
And I now know some thing new 17 inches is too close :slight_smile: plants started to go yellow and the new tips darkened so I flush alot of water thru the pots still no change re fed waited still no change had me stuffed. I forget to turn the light back up after working on the plants I turn it down to save my eyes plant are all green over night hehe have them at 2ft now happy plants

that is kinda good to hear… I have two MarsHydro 300w lights sitting in my cart on amazon,…just waiting for whenever the ol’lady gives me the go ahead to place the order…
but I had seen in several posts where you talked them down a bit so I was worried a little…although Hillcrests results were solid with Mars Hydro…either way I figured a pair of mars 300 should be great to start out with then possibly add more lights later

they are good lights for starters those 300s and the newer ones have more white light in them making them better then the old spider-man red and blue models. Pity i am not closer my I will be off loading some of the test units soon for the importer dude (well that what he said but his soon is like a star citizen soon)
I have been test alot of lights mainly the cheaper ones and some are dangerous inside
Wires pined under fans half cut, ground wire not hooked up (there goes your safety switch speed), input cord not screwed down so it could get pulled out leaving bare wires.
I have found there is a seller called topled or something like that sell a dead copy of mars lights and they are a little cheaper have good support (I have used them for a failed fan) and they seem to have more white light diodes on the larger lights. I did a pimp my light on their 1200w and it works well but it did get hot before I up’ed the ventilation. I have one of their 300w lights and it is growing veggies for me now.

1 Like

I have been watching some of your posts and the technology is intriguing…I am considering looking for a wholesaler and maybe trying my hand at building a light or two.

have not soldered a circuit board in almost 40 years though, lol.

Well worth it
you will end up the a better light then you can buy
I still do not understand why Cree insist to show casing 5w LEDs in their high end grow light builds.
Adding white light to the LED grow light makes them as good if not better then HPS light, the old standard goto light for half or better power use as well as only half the heat
You do not need to solder anymore you can buy quick connect everything now so you can change them around in minutes. The hardest thing is lining up the little heat stickers on the chip (I have XXXXL Hands its not fun looking for motorbike gloves) and you can get heat sinks with all the right threaded holes to mount the chip holder and reflector.
This makes it very easy all you need is work out you want to mount them to match you space and how many COBs you need. Its good to run them at about 50% for efficiency and output, you can go lower and add more OCBs to get better efficiency but the outlay at the start is higher. If you are in high elec cost area like I am in the long run running twice the lights at 25% for the same output would cost me twice as much to buy but in the long run save me 4 times that in power usage, lowering the power bill. This could be the same for 10+ years according to Cree.

gonna need to find a wholesale supplier so I can start researching what all I would need.
not sure what the electric prices are around here but my house only costs about $150 a month and my shop around $40 a month…so I am guessing it is pretty low.

I pay 36c but I live out in the sticks so pay through the nose for power, gas and fuel
Some places in the US are 8c base rate (I wish) then I could see a 1000w HPS usable.

A good place to start is KingBrite on Alibaba I get my stuff through Vivi direct Alibaba is like a complicated ebay/stockmarket for anything you could think of where you cab get rockwool blocks for 2c but you need to buy 10,000 for that rate :slight_smile: and you can to talk to the sellers 24/7 I dont think some sleep or they have it open next to the bed :laughing:
If you have any question about parts or which ones to get for you space message me with the number of cob with partnumber and I will list what you need but buy the power supply you will need when its completed if you intend to buy a few cobs at a time.

You can get 300 watt Led grow lights of unknown quality, similar to all the Mars type lights, for about $30 on Amazonreveiwtrader.com.