Mars or HLG light?

Hi all,

Looking at setting up my first grow tent and was about to go for a Mars hydro TS 3000 in a 4x4 when I saw all the HLG praise here.

I’m not too concerned about cost for the light, I just want to make sure I’m getting the best for the space.

Am I better off with a HLG 550 RSpec? Or the new model 600? Or is the TS3000 the better light? Or is there a better option I haven’t heard of?

Thanks all, look forward to your thoughts.

2 Likes

650r is awesome

5 Likes

650r might be overkill for a 4x4. Think the 550s are for the 4x4.
Happy Growing!!

5 Likes

I’m using a hlg eco 550 v2 for a 4x4. Super happy with this light. I now own two of them.

3 Likes

Thanks all! The 650r does look awesome, and I could always go up to a 5x5… Is it worth it ya reckon?

4 Likes

I just bought one but I have not used it yet. The hlg eco 550 gave me over a pound. Any of these lights are amazing it will totally be worth it. I will be using it in a 5x5 that has not arrived yet. I say the more space = more plants = more weight. Just consider on how long you will be growing and if its worth it for you in the end. One thing is for sure you will start out with a bang! Just my two cents!

3 Likes

If you’re looking to yield a little more… why not go up to the 5x5? And the 650r will then be the no brainer at that point. I am a little biased…i have two of them.
Happy Growing!!

4 Likes

Thanks for replying, just looking for some confidence before pulling the trigger.

Half the reviews on lights are clearly ads and it’s hard to sort through the BS!

HLG are just starting to feel a bit safer than Mars I think…

3 Likes

I used to run mars back in the day. I have two 720w lights that were 300 bucks. Of course they were the old versions and not boards like these new ones. They now just sit in the cabinet getting dustier every day…with a bunch of other mars lights…heh

did i misread it? i thought a 650r was to flower a 4x4 area. i thought it could veg a 5x5. i dont use a tent so i dont know how that works. thanks

3 Likes

oh goodness no. Veg is 7x7@ 48 inches and flower is 5x5 @ 30 :slightly_smiling_face:
Happy Growing!!

3 Likes

thanks. i researched so many lights i couldnt even remember all of them. i actually had the 550 in my cart until i saw the discount code someone posted so i got the 650r

2 Likes

Yeah the discount got it under 1k and I had bought a 5x5 gorilla tent so that’s what made me buy it.

2 Likes

immediately i thought how many more plants i could squeeze in to my room! none

2 Likes

Haha. There is never enough space! :joy:

2 Likes

You guys are great! The hours I’ve spent trying to figure this shit out, I could be an Electrician by now. I’ve learnt more in a few hours on this forum than weeks of googling, thanks heaps!

And any other opinions on best lights for 4x4 or 5x5? I’d love to hear from experience now I’ve found it!

1 Like

550 r spec for 4x4…650r for 5x5
Happy Growing!!

3 Likes

The new mars hydro lights are ok. But if you have the money get the hlg. I did a diy build with the help of @dbrn32. Or I would have gone with an hlg light.

2 Likes

Neither… I prefer chilLed over hlgs 650r

Did a lot of research on LED’s over several months. Compared all the top brands and ended up with the chilled growcraft x6 600 watt.t”

2 Likes