Marijuana clone question

A question from a fellow grower:

OK in August I purchased 2 types of fem seeds and all is good but before I put them into flower about 2 weeks before flower. Well all a sudden we noticed stigma hairs shooting out where ever a flower would grow so when the 2 weeks were up we put into flower and all is well, but I pulled some clones off the fem seed plant about a week into the parent flowering, and for some reason I put them on 24 hour like and they all have the stigma hairs all over the beautiful clones like they are ready to flower at any time as soon as they have a light change they are going to take off , can you tell me why these clones won’t lose other hairs and go back to vegg again I have a few other random good seeds and the aren’t doing it just my FEMS , can you please help me and tell me what’s going on please

1 Like

Clair, I found this write up by Robert, and a comment by Lakewood
they really don’t bring your problem up, but it sounds like they will get over that stag in time durning veg state, but at any way, I hope this helps you.

Will

Monster Cropping (a.k.a. Flowering Clones) is new method of growing that one of our members brought to my attention. Monster Cropping essentially involves taking clones from flowering marijuana plants, and then rooting those clones. They will reenter vegetative state and eventually create super-bushy plants with a large amount of nodes and branches. This method was dubbed “Monster Cropping,” because that’s exactly what you’ll end up with—huge, monster plants.

Flowering plants typically aren’t a source for clones, and most experts will tell you that it goes against most rules of cannabis cultivation. Even so, the science behind Monster Cropping is legitimate, and you will certainly enjoy the results.

Start by taking clones of a marijuana plant that is about 3 weeks (21 days) into the flowering stage. This is usually the ideal time to take the clones, but you can also take clones later on without affecting the results. Lower branches are ideal for cloning because they haven’t become stiff, and they will root faster than something like the top cola. Take the cutting and place it in a glass of water. Let it sit there for some time so that no air finds its way into the vascular system (a problem that can be fatal for the plant). The cut needs to be made along the stem so as to increase the surface area for the uptake of water and/or nutrients (depending on the cloning technique you’re using). In my own experience, a small hydroponic system or a propagation bubbler is easily the best option for cloning marijuana plants. Download my free grow guide for more tips and tricks at this link.

You will have to go back to a vegetative light schedule for the clone (18/6, 20/4, or 24/0). These clones won’t need much light, and you can get away with using a single small CFL bulb. Removing buds at this point will encourage the plant to go back to the vegetative state, but do not mess with the flower on the apex.

The clones should root in several weeks’ time, but some will never take root. To combat this, make sure you take a large number of clones so that at least one will take root and survive. You may want to put the clones inside of a humidity dome. These can be found at gardening centers or you can custom build one to meet your own needs. The increased humidity of the dome ensures that the plants won’t dry out, wither, and die. Be sure to ventilate the dome each day to avoid a mold infestation.

The most important aspect of cloning is to give the cuttings enough oxygen. A propagation bubbler is perfect for doing just that.

The marijuana clones won’t be anything spectacular to begin with, but, when they root, they will start reverting into vegetative state. The clones will start growing once they’ve rooted adequately, and they will produce single un-serrated leaves to begin with. Normal leaves will start to follow soon after. Applying some training might be wise during this stage. Simply tie down some of the tops to encourage an increase in branching. Adding a little heat underneath the clones will increase the rate of the rooting process substantially.

As the marijuana plant starts to grow, the amazing branching power of your flowering clone makes itself known. The plants will turn into genuine monsters, and you don’t even have to top the plant. The great thing about this method is that you can avoid topping and fimming altogether because the flowering clone produces tons of new branches on its own.

This plant is ready for a SCROG or maybe a SOG technique. This single plant can take up all the space in a SCROG net in a relatively short amount of time. Many of the plants grown in SOG will certainly provide a bountiful harvest.

Another benefit to Monster Cropping is that you don’t have to keep any mother plants around. When the clones go through vegetative state and enter flowering stage, they can give you even more clones. The never-ending harvest is recycling at its most efficient. For anyone who needs to limit the amount of plants they have, this idea has significant merit.

All in all, the effectiveness of this technique is largely due to the heavy branching produced by flowering clones that have reentered vegetative state. With some practice and patience, you can get some fantastic monster plants and a gargantuan monster harvest.

If you want start growing, download my free grow guide and order some marijuana seeds at this link here. We ship seeds to the US, CA and many other countries. For any growing related question please visit the marijuana support page.

Robert

Enjoyed my article? Share it with your friends. Click a social button down here and make the world a greener place

13 thoughts on “Monster Cropping Marijuana Plants”

latewood latewood says:

May 1, 2014 at 00:06

I have done this a few times with success. I owuld like to add; I actually have taken cuttings during flower stage, and placed directly into moist soil pot. I left clones in the flower room under 12/12; Shorter photo periods promote faster root growth. Now; I did not get a lot of bud at 1st.

The plant rooted and then began to grow new leaf sets, which are imperative for re-vegitating the plant. At the end of the grow; I remove the bud, but left all the other foliage. This turned into a re-vegitated Mom, from which I took cuttings and cloned them. Once in a 5g bubbler, I grew one of these clones to a LB. yield “dry”. Using my Dutch Master Formula. Try it out. You will like this technique. Good stuff!

5 Likes

Pre-flowers is what it sounds like that you are experiencing. Some strains will do this, some even of the same strain may not do this. It mostly has to do with size and age of the parent plant and often is strain specific and not necessarily affected by the photo period.

As long as the leaves look good and you are getting new vegetative growth you probably have nothing to worry about. A lot of vegetative growth won’t really take off, even under 24 hours of light until a good root zone is developed. BTW, the dark period is good for root development. If you want faster root growth you might want to try putting it under 18/6 or 20/4 so it has some dark period to focus on root development.

1 Like

When my 24 clones have good root system and I place them in soil. Is this the time they should go into 18/6 or 20/4 or wait a week or two. also how long do you go 18/6 before going 12/12 or is that up to the grower?
I took 24 the cuttings from 20 mothers that were 44 days into flowering all white widow.
Thank you for any input

Will

1 Like

You can leave them at 24/0 if you want. I was just mentioning that if you are having trouble getting them to root, adding or increasing the dark period may help. How long until going to 12/12? This mostly depends on how big you want them to get. A rough estimate is they will get about twice as big after growing through flowering so you need to start them flowering before they get too big in cramped quarters.

2 Likes

A branch got broken off my 2 weeks into flowering Strawberry Kush plant it was near the bottom and it’s around 5 inches long. I didn’t have no cloning gel, so I mixed 1/2 strength of Fox Farm Big Bloom into a gallon jug of water, cut the branch at a 45 degree angle and stuck in in the top of the jug is it possible that it can grow again? Thanks.

1 Like

Yes it is possible. But maybe you shouldn’t use any nutrients at first. Cloning in just a glass of water is how many people used to clone back in the day, lol.

If you have some drugstore type hydrogen peroxide, you can add a few drops to the jug’s water. Keeping the water well aerated or oxygenated will be important for the development of healthy roots.

Adding rooting hormones and or an aquarium air pump and air stone would only help improve your odds.

Happy cloning,

MacG

2 Likes

The only thing I have on hand is hydrogen peroxide. How often should I add the hydrogen peroxide and change the water? Thanks.

1 Like

Probably the more often the better. At least once a day.

And just a few drops of H2O2 with each change.

~MacG

2 Likes

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

1 Like