Mango tree growing tips and care

hello,am wanting anyone’s experiences on planting mango trees,an soil conditions and any other tips for caring for fruit trees,i know that there are many types an am wanting more the dwarf variety and anyone that’s had a go at them.an is there anything other than general outdoor soil conditions they like.will be trying 1 soon hopefully.have done a heap of reading an just wanted to hear some ppl who had grown them to fruit. :slight_smile:

What region are you in
I am in the US las Vegas NV and we had a pamagranite ,fig , peach and yellow delicious apple tree all dwarves and they all did very well in my neck of the cacti
We are high in elevation low humidity but extreme high temps in summer with a mild 20-40*f winters
Hope this helps
Also jump on farmers almanac online to see which types of fruit trees will flourish in your region.

1 Like

@Growit hello,wow,that sound awesome,almost the same weather here in oz but the summers are really hot aswell,sometimes 110 degrees farenheight an higher the humidity is usually around 50_65%outside lately anyway,i have to wait 2 more weeks before the nursery gets them in,the IRWIN an BOWEN are the most popular here,i have prepared my hole already as we have good soil anyway,(is late spring atm)well fertilised,an heaps of worms,garden lime sprinkled as have a clay bottom,i can’t wait.anyway the reading on mango trees is pretty good as it’s similar to alot of other fruits an vegies,(normal soil ph an n.p.k organic fertilisers,i wanted to know are there any advanced tips an tricks to help flower more.is there anything else i’m missing.for putting it into soil from the pot they give it in,tks again,be good to see some yields 1 year,can never have enough mangoes, :slight_smile:

Very cool man sounds like you are in great shape man
Such a diverse place , your home absolutely a woderous place
It is on list of top places to see.

Oh sorry missed your last question.
Not sure on nutes for flowering
When I had my lil trees I just watered em alot and they all yeilded insanely high
Hope your mangos are awsome post pics man let me know how it goes man sure I will learn tons!!
Happy growin dude

1 Like

@Growit Requirements
Mango trees flourish in almost any type of soil except those that are wet and heavy. The soil should be deep to accommodate the extensive root system and have a pH between 5.5 and 7.5. Full sun and excellent air circulation are essential to prevent fungal diseases. In coastal areas, plant the tree near a south-facing wall to maximize light and heat. Mango trees benefit from the reduced light of a northern exposure in desert areas.
Climate
Mango trees need a frost-free climate. Flowers and young fruit may be killed by spring temperatures below 40 degrees Fahrenheit for even a brief period of time in spring. Young trees may be seriously damaged by temperatures below 30 F. Rain, fog and heavy dew during the flowering season interfere with flowering and encourage fungal diseases. Mango trees are hardy in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zone 10.
Water and Fertilizer
Mango saplings need regular applications of nitrogen fertilizer to become established, but they burn easily from too much nitrogen. Fish emulsion is a good choice for first year saplings. As the tree matures, use a 6-6-6 fertilizer that also contains magnesium six times a year for the second and third year and four times a year thereafter. Fertilizers designed for citrus fruit will meet the tree’s needs. Micronutrient sprays that contain zinc, manganese, boron and molybdenum are essential for mango trees. Use them six times a year for the first four years and four times a year thereafter. If the soil isn’t rich in iron, use an iron drench. Begin watering the tree in late winter or early spring when temperatures warm. Water every week or two in the absence of drenching rains until harvest. Trees growing in sandy soil that drains quickly may need more frequent watering.
Pruning
Mango trees don’t require regular pruning except to remove diseased or damaged branches and the occasional wayward growth. Removing some of the flower clusters in years when the tree blooms heavily will help prevent the tree from only bearing fruit in alternate years. When the tree is damaged by frost, wait until all danger of frost has passed before removing the damage. Sap from the tree causes severe dermatitis, so wear protective clothing when pruning.(this is what i have tried to get as close as i can,our weather seems great for them,this is similar to some of the gardners almanac reading an zoning for climates,was a great site also,hopefully have some pics in a few weeks, :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow I love it man sounds like a good canidate for my front yard

@Growit lol,

on another note my tomatoes are having some trouble,aroma are fine but the heirloom ones are not as you can see,might be blight or bad ph an bugs,still working on it :slight_smile:

Aww bummer dude hope you get that under control

@Growit swik did use 1 sprinkle of lime an alot more waterering an got some better ones,the zuccini an chilli in the same spot is going off,i looked at a few possiblilities blight/ph,but still not really sure except they tasted great after 2 weeks of that picture,i was also told that variety are hard to grow apparently…lol :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool dude
I will be starting a thread on my cold weather greenhouse container garden soon
I planted cauliflower , cilantro , snow peas , lettuce
lavender , catnip , spearmint , rosemary , dill and marigolds.
The veggies I planted for my wife and the herbs I planted for me because I am gonna be doing 12 cannabis plants outdoor this year and all of the herbs repel aphids as I had a nasty aphid infestation that ruined my veggie garden last year and do not want to deal with that again. I am growing all natural and do not want to use pesticides. As I am new to gardening not just cannabis but gardening in general I wanted to get familiar with the herbs that I will be companion planting outdoor with the cannabis to keep bugs out. Anyway happy growing @aussie123556 I will tag you in on it once I get started on the thread

1 Like

Oh also planted a couple of Super Skunk seeds too as learning experiment in the greenhouse as well

1 Like

Hi !
I’m newbie. And want to start with some tips)
When you plant your tree, it is very important to know the pH of your soil. You can send samples out for analysis but this may be too much trouble for the new mango grower. Instead, I recommend purchasing a simple pH test kit for soils or asking your local nursery if they can test or recommend a test kit to find out the pH of your soil. I’ve tested the pH of the soil and water at several locations all around San Diego and the majority of samples for soil and water were above 7.8.

Mangos grow well in the pH range of about 5.5-7.5. Outside of this range, it becomes difficult for the plant to uptake certain nutrients. Here in SoCal, we mostly have to worry about the pH of our soils being too high. Even if we brought down the pH of our soils with the use of Sulfur, Phosphoric acid/water drenches, the pH will generally drift back up and out of the acceptable range due in large part to a the buffering capacity of the soil itself and the pH raising affects of our local tapwater.

2 Likes

@Growit great ones,will try a few of those this year to,dang aphids lol,am always buying vegie seeds,the ph here is only 7 but a metre down the clay starts,doh,so i dug a huge whole an added like a mix of organic super soil,got it down to 6.5 atm,is really cold here so not planting any mango tree yet but hopefully next couple months,will be good to see some of your vegies when there done,:):grinning:

1 Like

Hey my aussie friend sorry I forgot to tag you in on my current garden endeavors

@Growit all good mate lying low atm,lol just had a chilli harvest of unknown type.i quickly found out they were habenero which is the level i’m up to,birds eye are not hot anymore,my new addiction,chilli. i know the cauliflower attract white moths like the plauge but i’d probly rather moths than aphids…hee hee the dill sounds the go tho :slight_smile:

1 Like