Male?! Cant tell. I pulled one and crushed it and it had stuff in it

I would expect seeds. I will have some this round from a hermie. Bag seed but was so strong i let her/him go for edibles. Cleaned all sacs i could and am just soldiering on. I would isolate for sure. I am just letting the 4 pollinated go isolated in a 3x3 while vegging stuff.

16541281966312745875940946164710|690x322
These are last of bag seed so did not care. Great oils.

4 Likes

Thanks @Storm …im so disappointed. Didnt know autos could also hermie.

3 Likes

Mj is prone to hermie and any stressor can cause it. As @Graysin advised trim off any yellow flowers usually down on bottom of plant, and check every few days. But sorry to say that flower dumped its load already and pollen has been released in that grow. All you can do is ride it out and be vigilant to stop more. You could be lucky and just have a few affected buds or whole plant. I think you will be okay man. Good luck

4 Likes

I always pick them off and watch them close for more some will continue making them others will not but definitely get rid of them. You can also spray the tent plants everything down with water just as your lights are going off, just make sure you have the fans on

3 Likes

Just for some positive…get pretty darn stinky with some seeds it seems. I bet different terps produced…just a guess.

3 Likes

Thanks @Storm @Dennis62 @Graysin

I think i just found another one that hermied. Gorilla Glue Auto…dont get it, they have been spectacular and there hasnt been signs of stress. Temps between 69 and 75, humidity is 50-60 mostly at 50 to 55 though. Showed no signs on leaves…thats the disappointing part.

Appreciate you guys.

3 Likes

Sorry @MeEasy @NoisyMind …thanks to you 2 also!

1 Like

I found this a pretty regular thing with auto in my grows but my temps and humidity and light leaks so could be my fault. Most i found before flowers opened as I continually watch for them. Too much nutes, light during dark time, light too close, genetics, just to name a few. Could be anything. All these feminized seeds including autos were made by forcing a female to hermie, so hermie is in the genes.

2 Likes

@dennis

Good info, hadnt thought about all that…thanks my brother.

2 Likes

I expected a hermie from these seeds as i had a couple last run with them. Purely genetic i figure. I just did my best to keep it minimal and get another of that mystery bud. Last made GREAT oil. Do the best you can keeping pollen down and soldier on. Some popped maybe so just expect them. Sanitize good before next flower cycle and chick it up as a learn while you get wasted on these. Crdit card and tray time…:grin:

3 Likes

Nice! Got it, moving along!

2 Likes

At best, its a hermie. So sorry.

4 Likes

Genetics are part of it. Sometimes they will just herm because they are genetically predisposed to go into self-preservation mode.

4 Likes

Alright alright everyone’s favorite hermie advocate is here …

Jokes aside, I say that because on my last run I grew about 6 plants from “hermie” seeds. Now I have around… 7-8 ounces of some really nice bud from that strain and have found 1-2 immature white seeds in the whole stock so far (and TRUST me, I checked thoroughly). I haven’t posted the results yet but here’s it with a quick fan leaf trim before heading to drying.

Despite the fact that 99% of the community is going to yell and scream SPARTA, I am of the mindset that everyone needs to slow down and perform a little self analysis before giving up. One thing no one has mentioned in this whole thread that i think is worth bringing up is the phenomena of balls and bananas.

A plant that shows only bananas has undergone a process called rodelization, and is a response to stress. Plants that show these are … wait for it … NOT true hermies. They are mixed sex plants, aka female and male sex parts growing in the SAME place (pistols coming out of calyces). These are worrisome because the moment they rear their ugly little heads they may have spread pollen. I say may because studies have shown that sometimes hermie pollen can be sterile. I wouldn’t bank on this, but again, another reason why it may be worth waiting out.

True hermies are plants that show both pistols and pollen sacs at the plants bud site, aka balls. THESE plants are true hermies. Balls that have not opened up have not spread pollen. Despite what the mob mentality will have you think, balls don’t always grow and spread like a deadly contagion. They can disappear if the stressor that caused them is corrected (in my case, getting a portable AC unit for the room). The same goes for rodelization. Additionally, if you check daily for the first week or so, you’ll notice how quickly they stop coming if your maintenance and correction is fast enough. Pollen also has a relatively short lifespan as far as its viability in the open environment. Unless you’re running a perpetual grow, the idea of basically doing a crime scene cleanup of your grow room is silly since the pollen will long be inert by your next flower cycle.

So what does this all mean and why even care? Because they are separate and independent phenomena, and our community needs to do a better job distinguishing the two since they are not necessarily caused by the same thing. And by knowing this, growers can make more informed decisions as to whether a plants symptoms can be managed and disappear over time (points to self) or if the juice just isn’t worth the squeeze.

In my case, the amount “ball sites” corresponded to the number of bud sites, so… I carefully began a regimen lightly misting the plants and tent walls several times a day to kill any escaped pollen. I also used an LED magnifying glass to check each branch and bud site in a dark room once a day (balls will ALWAYS be co-located with bud sites, they will never just be growing by themselves randomly on the plant body). Balls were promptly plucked and discarded. If they appeared open, I sprayed with a little hand sprayer before plucking. Symptoms stopped after about a week of monitoring. I stopped checking daily after 10 days symptom free.

In my case, roughly 60% of the cases were so mild (talking 3-5 balls on the whole plant) so they were treated and monitored. Plants that showed both balls and rodelization (nanners) were axed since I was only week 3 and had two other tents in flower. I have roughly 12 ounces in cure jars and have found 2 immature white seeds in the whole stock. I have roughly the same amount drying right now, and I can tell for sure they haven’t been seeded (maybe I’ll find a few down the line, but definitely won’t be many if so).

In closing, this is is just a long winded way of saying perform your own cost benefit analysis. Don’t let the mob always sway you, since they don’t know your goals, your setup, financial considerations, personal constraints, etc.

Peace and love all, time to go check on my own hermie bud and see how’s it’s curing :grinning:

4 Likes

These pictures are also a really good learning tool for others. In the first and last picture, those are NOT balls. Those are just lone calyces. It’s such a common question idk how every forum on the internet doesn’t have a dedicated sticky just for that question because so many cases of “are these balls” are just lone calyces.

That middle picture, though, yeah those little buggers were what i had. Are they only on the lower sections? Mine appeared almost exclusively on the tiny bud sites on the bottom of the plant. The ones I was able to save pretty much only had them near the bottoms, which is why I bring it up. You’re gonna lollipop that area anyway so see what, if anything, grows back.

3 Likes

Hermie, personally I would seperate this one with them in roughly week 3 of flower or at least long enough to know she won’t be producing any more ball sacks :love_you_gesture:

4 Likes

Thank you brother, that was a great detailed explanation.

@CatDadPower

Yes, that and 1 other tiny flower were the only 2, yes they were at the bottom of the plant at the lowest cross branches. I have another that has the weird calyics (SP?), so i will be watching it closely. I pulled a bunch of them off last night. Spent several hours rearranging, feeding and pulling those off. Will do more tonight after work (if i dont die in rhis heat) and see how it looks. Appreciate you taking the time to spell that all out my brother :call_me_hand:

1 Like

@OGIncognito

Yes sir, that is what i did, that one is alone in a 3x3 now. Also have another 5x5 AC Infinity thatbis sipposed to arrive tomorrow. Will do some more seperating when that finally (FINALKY!) gets here. Thanks brother :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Wish you luck man, keep us posted! You’re not out of the fight yet!

1 Like