Malasses in FFOF

hello,
Doing my first ever grow. Im using fox farm ocean forest soil. I read that unsulfured black strap malasses is good for providing nutrients. I make a solution using it, bat poop, and worm poop. my question is. Are my plants able to benefit from it being that I dont have living soil? Im struggling to grasp the idea of organics without living soil as far as what organics can the plants use without it being broke down. Or does ffof have the organism to break it down? Thanks for any advice. would love to use mostly organic nutes but dont know how that works. Would the jacks 321 nutrients work with ffof or would I need a living soil?

2 Likes

also this is an indoor grow. meant to add that in main post

1 Like

The molassis feeds the soil mainly but may have some sugar/carbohydrate benefits for plants. Your plants roots actually make deposits to the soil during its dark cycle which feeds the soil. I use molassis because i start and veg plants under 24 hrs light.

1 Like

Congrats on your first grow! I haven’t used FFOF or Jack’s 321, but many others here have and can provide good input.

Are you using a microbe product? Recharge (by Real Growers) is a great product, and it also contains molasses. Here’s what Real Growers says on their website about it:

You can do a search here about molasses. Many folks use it, just be sure to not overdo it. I use Recharge, so I don’t add any additional molasses, other than what Recharge has in it.

3 Likes

Mycorrhizal Fungi Root Enhancer for Plants - Bigger, Stronger, Healthier Roots, Use In Soil and Hydroponics - Super 20X Concentrated Mycorrhizae Inoculant Strain - Trifecta Myco Supreme (57 Grams / 2 OZ) https://a.co/d/28M4ToE
I did add this to my soil because I had read that happy frog contained it but ffof didnt. not sure if it is along the same line as what you recommended.

2 Likes

ok so even if its not a living soil it still going to ha e some microbes and needs to be kept health? I think maybe I understand. im on a 20/4 light scedule (autoflowers) so it will probably help keep my soil healthy?

1 Like

Jack’s 321 will work with FFOF. FFOF is nutrient rich so adding nutrients usually isn’t necessary until around the 6th week. I recommend testing runoff (PPM & PH) to determine the soil’s nutrient level to determine when to add.
This is what Thecannabisindustry . org’s contributor says about living soil
Our preferred definition of living soil is the community of microbes working together breaking down organic matter which, in turn, provides valuable nutrition to the plants.

Soil microbes are essential for decomposing organic matter and recycling old plant material.

2 Likes

Yes. Looks like you are using a good product. Others can chime in about having a wider variety of microbes throughout the grow.

2 Likes

Thank you, that helps me to understand it. my soil is still living (microbes) even if it doesnt have worms, centipedes and a cover crop. I just got hung up on what ALL was needed to break down the organics so my plants can use them. Im sure those would help even further but I was thinking organics might not work at all without the whole shebang.

I also added myco aupreme. And than 30 days later ( saysbtakes 30 days to grow a full functioning tgriving fungul community ) i add tricoderma every 7. To 10 days for 30 days. Idk if its microbes but my olants look like this on day 25 of flowering. I attribute it to fungus.

I water with mollasus every other watering

1 Like

very beautiful plant.

What strain is that? Very nice ive never seen some many tricomes on plants that young. super frosty!!

1 Like

Ty! It’s mimosa. And chemdawg. Both look the same which is why o thinks the microbes

1 Like

I grow in coco and use Jack’s. I also use microbes (bacteria and fungi). I use Great White mycorrhizae when transplanting and products like Tribus Original or FishSh’t throughout the grow.

1 Like