Making My Own Genetics

So I have been reading mixed things about crossing my own and I was just coming here for advice because I’ve found it’s the best! Theoretically if I take several females and males together they will all pollinate the females and then the females make seeds? Then the seeds from those are the new hybrids?

So I guess my question is is it really “as easy” as putting them next together and letting the magic happen?

Oh side note I am wanting to use photos

1 Like

Yes, it’s really that easy. Just don’t have anything else flowering, and one male will be enough. Pollen will go everywhere.

6 Likes

So what happens if I plant more than one male, should I remove it? Also when do they start pollinating in flowering stage?

1 Like

They pollinate in the flowering stage. If you have more than one male, you won’t know who the father was. Otherwise won’t hurt.

6 Likes

Thanks so much!

1 Like

You may want to wash your tent really good and sterilize before growing any Sensamilla moving forward. Male pollen can collect in the smallest of places. It only takes a micro amount to pollinate a female :+1:t2:

Good luck with your breeding! Should be a lot of fun playing with genetics :v:t2:

7 Likes

You’re awesome! I actually have a Separate space specifically for this, but it’s always good to know what to look for.

1 Like

Grow your male over a plastic tarp. When it’s done shake it to have the pollen fall onto your tarp. Collect your pollen and then store it somewhere dry. Then you can use a cotton swab and directly apply your pollen to your females. Just place a brown paper bag temporarily over the buds your pollinating so your pollen doesn’t travel around and do more then it should

5 Likes

Breeding is not really that simple, making mystery weed is though. To breed you need to pheno hunt. You dont want just any male, just like you dont want just any female. Plus for it to be repeatable, you need to clone the males and females to preserve the genetics for back crossing purposes. Once the male or female is gone the original genetic line is lost. Then to stabilize you need to use successive inbreeding, while still seeking out desired traits from offspring. It takes years to make a strain and stabilize it.
Its why seeds are so expensive! Also, the breeder often unwittingly sells his or her best genetics as seed and doesnt know about it. Therefore, if a person wants to be a cool dood, if you get a magic plant, its cool to get ahold of the breeder and let them have access to the material to improve their genetics. Just saying :relieved:

8 Likes

I honestly don’t know anything about it so just looking into getting started to create the best ones. I’ll definitely look more into the pheno hunting.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure they make hormone sprays that force plants to spit out primarily feminized seeds that are relatively uniform to what they came off of. Also I guess you can clone the male to keep it around, but I’m not sure if they die off after they release pollen

I’m assuming doing it this way ensures you know what the genetics are?

I think it reduces the variability in the phenotypes. You would have to interbreed your chosen plants several several times to get a uniformity in your phenos. If your able to artificially stimulate the product of seeds, your only getting genetic material from 1 parent and therefore there should be less variance

2 Likes

So do you wait 8 weeks to switch to 12/12 or at 30 days old can you switch from 18/6 to 12/12?

Do you just want to be self-sufficient, or are you hoping to get a single cultivar with a feature you can’t/haven’t found elsewhere?

Unfortunately that [selfing] is not a reliable way to generate uniform genetics. It all depends on your starting point. A polyhybrid F1 is likely to produce a lot of variation in S1 offspring. An F13 IBL is probably going to produce more uniformity is S1 offspring, but in all cases the only way to know is through trial an error.

The most uniform genetics are clones; second to cloning, using trial and error to create F1 hybrid seeds from genetically disparate populations is the conventional way to produce uniformity in seeds.

Greg Greene’s book goes into depth on breeding.

3 Likes

I want to be different

2 Likes

There are literally thousands of people “chucking pollen” at any given moment. It’s rare to find people who just work a few lines for years or decades.

@Cannabian provided a lot of good info. I could add to that, but I strongly suggest you buy a few books on breeding; Greg Greene, Robert Connell Clark, and DJ Short all have excellent and affordable books.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t make seeds, but I do think you should do it with clear purpose. If you want to make exceptional seeds, you should start by growing different cultivars, decide what qualities you value, and then start selecting from large populations toward your goals. I don’t know of any location in the states that afford people the protection to do that legally.

If you really want to be different, collecting landraces is a good place to start. I’d also look for some foundational breeding stock; in other words, highly domesticated cultivars. But if you can acquire authentic landraces, you’ll bypass many of the genetic bottlenecks we see in popular cannabis cultivars. You’ll also have some interesting challenges as you try to make those “wild” plants work for your environment.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, I’ve been dying for a good read!

2 Likes

Do you have any books that you would say are better than others? I’ve see there are several

1 Like