Making butter with bud

Hi everyone, I am wondering if anyone has made butter from bud? I have just made some as a novice with 1/2 Oz of bud and 1/2 Oz of leaf (1 Oz all up) and simmer/reduced it with about 13 Oz of butter. The butter has gone very dark and not green like I have seen others make? My real question of concern as its a very dark colour so I probably only need to use a little in cookies etc?
Also does any one ever use the material (also black)left after the muslin reduction process for any thing?

Cheers.

Im new but after my 1st grow I used a magic butter machine (might want to Google that) I used coconut oil instrad of butter and put in 1oz bud and 2 oz of decent trim with 450gms of oil. Then made capsules for medication. 2 caps is usually enough. The stuff that was left over I keep in the freezer I can assure you a teaspoon of that will sort me out :crazy_face:
After this grow I will be changing ratio to 2oz bud to 450gms coconut. I have made butter in a slow cooker with bud but the results were pretty average but probably my fault. Butter goes pretty horrible in the heat so need to store it in the fridge.
Happy cooking :fried_egg:

2 Likes

Double boil , strain and press, discard vegetation

Use your butter/oil exact for whatever the recipe calls for. You’ll change strength of product by how strong your oil is

2 Likes

Thanks, what straight teaspoon of that or with something? I would imagine it does not taste very good LOL.

I eat the left overs…same buzz etc

1 Like

I use coconut oil , or ghee . And cook in one of those electric smart pressure cookers

2 Likes

Getting the oil out of the plant material (yield) is higher with coconut oil than with butter and cooks/behaves like it in recipes.

The dark green color is due to too long under heated oil. Here’s my procedure:

I shake kief (dry ice method) then reserve the leftovers. I add flower and sugar leaves to make my calculated potency then decarboxylate in a mason jar in the oven set at 240F for an hour. This goes in to the oil for no more than 4 hours along with one cup of water to regulate temp in a small crockpot. Plant material is cooled to the point of handling it and is pressed through fine cheesecloth: not that loose junk in the grocery store. Chill, separate from any residual water, heat and pour into 4 oz glad bowls and weighed/bagged/frozen. Generally I make brownies.

3 Likes

We use an Instant Pot…
https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Multi-Use-Programmable-Pressure/dp/B00FLYWNYQ
We have used butter but the water content in butter makes a ugly layer of salty bad tasting product.
However with coconut oil it works great. Because of the pressure it will decarb at 240 degrees which works perfect. Some people prebake the weed in the oven then extract with the instant pot, but I dont think that is necessary. If you grind the weed before decarbing your oil will be dark green. If you just breakup the buds a little and decarb it will stay light. My wife prefers the dark green stuff. I dont think the strength is different, its just her preference. So add oil and weed into a mason jar and lightly close the lid. Air pressure will need to escape so dont tighten a lot. 3 cups of water in the cooker and set the jar or jars on the metal rack supplied. Close it up and set for pressure cook for one hour. We do it in the evening and just let it set overnight. After the hour the cooker go into warm mode. Next morning we strain out the solids and make cookies. There is no smell as we decarb. And these sell for a bit over 50 bucks if you find a good sale. 69 or 79 is typical non sale price.

And as an added bonus you can cook dinner with it when your weed is done :+1:

4 Likes

Did you decarb it??

1 Like

If you are asking me…we dont do the oven step.
1 hour in the instant pot at 240 decarbs it just fine.
1/2 ounce of weed in 1 cup of oil makes 48 cookies and 1/2 a cookie is all I need. The wife eats about 6 a day to deal with pain.

4 Likes

Not your Norm… ofcourse not!!

1 Like

Im allergic to coconut

2 Likes

Crisco works too… :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Hash mixed in with whatever you are making works too!

3 Likes

If its just me I just add the weed into the bake. I don’t mind the flavor or texture.
In fact i will decarb a bud in the oven about once a week and just eat part of it.

4 Likes

Yep, line Insaid in another post, decarb an ounce or so, crunch it really small, and use it like parsley or basil in your cooking or salad dressings etc.

7 Likes

Love that idea…Thanks @Cannabian

3 Likes

Wow I haven’t heard of that… that sounds like a great idea. You know maybe even keep some decarbed weed in a lil spice cup in the rack. I try not to watch that Bongapetite show…brings munchies to a new level when stoned & watching that show

6 Likes

I use the instapot as well. Stupid simple, decarbs it at the same time, no smell.

6 Likes

Yeah its not a bad way to get your daily cbd or thc input in a less lungful way :laughing:

1 Like