Magnetic higher-end pumps for RDWC

Has anyone used something like this as a RDWC recirculation pump?
https://www.amazon.com/World-100PX-Magnetic-Water-Pump/dp/B001EUE9GQ

I like the idea of a dead-solid will run forever without leaking pump… (and my current one is … um … working but leaks a bit and I don’t trust it)

2 Likes

No experience with these, but I can definitely relate to some differences in quality pumps.

2 Likes

I use this one in my diy under current rdwc

Current USA eFlux DC Flow Pump with Flow Control | 1050 GPH, 1900 GPH & 3170 GPH Flow Ranges Available | Ultra Quiet, Submersible or External Installation | Safe for Saltwater & Freshwater Systems Amazon.com

The 1900 works great! It gives the ability to be submersed or run inline with the pipes. I choose inline and hard mounted it

How much water is in your system, @PharmerBob ? Do you run the 1900 full-out, or turn it down some?

Nah that thing was way too powerful, I turned it all the way down and then up until the point it had a serious draw thru the totes.

So… the 1050 is fine for a 45 gal system?

I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t be able to push that amount of fluid and create a current

I got the 1900gph version. @PharmerBob did you have any trouble getting leak-free connections to/from the pump? The provided adaptors suck, and threaded commodity PVC fittings … are a tight fit (but work, I think).

It’s nice to set the system to drain and watch how fast it’ll pump the system dry!

I took it to Home Depot and got threaded connections from plumbing supplies.

Teflon tape goes a long way with this also

Yea. Standard fittings work, what comes with it sucks.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I thought as well, I can make whole houses not leak with some pvc glue…they couldn’t make a fitting that didn’t?

1 Like

Bulkhead fittings suck too.

Hopefully this works without drips.

Resurrecting this thread, in part because I’m starting my 3rd grow, but …

Previously, I had a 3/4" bulkhead & short pipe to the pump inlet, and 3/4" outlet (and throughout). The 1900gpm pump worked fine, but it didn’t seem to pump as much as it should, and on high it seemed to cavitate or something.

So I plugged up the 3/4" bulkhead, installed a 1.5" bulkhead using 1.5" pipe to the pump inlet (and the 3/4" outlet and beyond). It definitely pumps a lot more, but I may want to replumb the manifold with 1.5" pipe (and maintain 3/4" downstream of the manifold).

As has been said above, the adapters that come with the pump aren’t very good. But a 1.5" FPT connector fit perfectly on the inlet of the pump. Photos soon.

Wanna try something different?

Why do you ask?

1-1/2” bulkhead from tote to pump

Return to totes reducing to 1/2” bulkheads

From pump to tee 1-1/2”

Tee 1” - 1” pipe - reducing cap to 1/2”

1/2” threaded tee barb - 1/2” tube

1/2” venturi valve - 1/2” bulkhead