Madam Calamity’s Candy Factory 🍬

Mine seemed to be a result from a bad water seal; when I probed around on the senor I could get it to read and give oscillating signals if I would apply pressure to the connection. I assume some moisture got in there and has corroded an internal connection in it’s header port.

I wasn’t too impressed with the design once I opened it to see that. They didn’t even add any sealant to the board, which is weird for a device designed to be submerged.

1 Like

Though I guess if my water is that acidic then my plants are gods among cannabis.

2 Likes

What meter?

1 Like

My apera pc60

2 Likes

How long did it last? That’s sad to hear because it’s not a cheap pen!!
What’s the warranty period on this thing? It was like $150! i could have bought a half a dozen cheapies for that!

1 Like

Ouch, thats a bullet to bite there, I wonder what their warranty is.

2 Likes

Mine is the PC60-z which will use the same replacement sensor, which is the problem; mine didn’t make it 30 days.

3 year 6 month on sensors.

What I did with my new one is I removed the sensor and added some Teflon tape to the threads and put it back on. I also conformal coated their board. Not sure why they didn’t do this.

1 Like

6 month warranty on the probe, 2 year warranty for the pen I believe. I think I bought it in June? Would have to look it up later to be sure. At this point I’m not surprised that it broke lol last 2 months we’ve had really bad luck. One thing after another :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

You may have already tried this, but have you put in fresh batteries?

That is interesting…since it’s meant to get wet. Super unfortunate cus I’ve only heard good things about apera.

2 Likes

I changed the batteries literally 2 days before it broke! :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

That is suspect. If it were mine, I’d do it again, just to see.

It also isn’t reading ec…it’s just 0s. Even when I tried calibrating it. I think the probe is just shot…

1 Like

Major bummer.

1 Like

Lol, apparently If you go through Apera you get a third year. That’s what they told me on mine.

Well that’s a gimmick to get people to go directly to you.

3 Likes

I think these are assembled by hand for packaging, and if you Dont check all water seals and moisture gets in it’s toast. I tried cleaning it with contact cleaner but couldn’t resolve it. I assume the circuit has some damage now and since I was in warranty I had to curb my curiosity.

Though once I found the problem I would be doing them a favor by saving money on paying another engineer to find it.

1 Like

1 Like

I could get EC readings but they were not accurate. I am planning to order a PC60-E to have as a backup if this happens again down the road. I’d rather not have to guess or wait to feed the girls. Sucks though that they are $80.

1 Like