Lucky Luke Pheno hunt

This is the time when you should start your grow diary or calendar, or both. Some people have a small spiral notebook. That they put in the tent pocket. Other buy a calendar that they post on your grow room wall.( If you can find a adequate app that doesn’t have a subscription, if you like it I love it ) This is important for watering, feeding, and IPM (integrated pest management ). Write down the date and quantities of water ,nutrients, and IPM mixtures. Don’t guess what you did ,know it. If you are using a app that take pictures, a picture is worth a thousand words.

I’m starting IPM (integrated pest management ) today. Remember your 7P’s ( Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance ) . Today I’m adding sticky traps . Sticky traps will not solve your pest problem. This is a excellent way of monitoring your pest population. Take a fine tip sharpie, circle and date your bugger on your trap.

My IPM schedule is structured for my environment and pest. You have to make one that fits yours . After saying that this is what I’m going to do. Week 1 captain jack and silica, week 2 Neem Oil and Dr Bronner’s hemp peppermint soap and silica. I alternate between the 2 mixtures. Captain Jack dead bug brew is Spinosad, It kills bagworms,borers, beetles, caterpillars, codling moth, gypsy moths loopers ,leaf miners, spider mites, tent caterpillars, and thrips. Neem oil and peppermint soap are deterrents. They put a bad taste in the buggers mouth. Silica is something everyone should use in a feed and in floral spray. Silica strengthens your plants cell walls ( have you ever had a tuff steak, ) makes your plant a unwanted meal.
How to apply; I mix 1 tablespoon per quart of ph water ( ph between 6.0-7.0 ) and add 1/4 teaspoon of agsil-16 ( silica). Shake well and apply when lights are off to avoid leaf spotting. Make sure you get the bottom of the leaves also. Oh I forgot, if you have living soil , fungus gnats is normal occurrence. If you get a outbreak Nematodes SF (Steinernema feltiae) is the way to go.

5 Likes

I had a mite attack in the tent about 3-4 weeks ago. Luckily I caught it early enough and was able to nip it in the bud, so to speak.
The first night of attack I used garden Safe Insecticidal Soap spray. (I thought it was Safer’s - the woman kept telling me it was Safers - it wasn’t LOL)
I pulled all the ladies out of the tent and cleaned the walls/floor with a bleach/water mix. Then put each lady on a towel and sprayed the living bejeebus out of each. I wore a long sleeve tshirt and vinyl examination gloves and literally took each shoot of the plant and gently ran it through my poison soaked gloved hands ensuring I soaked the entire leaf, top and bottom. Skipped a night then did it again.
In my reading during the interim I discovered mites are HIGHLY adaptable to most poisons and quickly develop immunity to it. So after a second skipped night I did the same thing with Captain Jacks Dead Bug for 2 rounds separated by a skipped night. Haven’t seen a mite since then!

I do have sticky traps in there and might catch a flyer once or twice a week. Not really enough for me to try a different poison but the nematodes sound interesting. Would they work in Happy Frog? It’s an organic mix but is it considered a “living” soil? Though technically, shouldn’t all soil have a degree of “living” elements in it? Isn’t that kinda like a “soil thing”? Meaning it’s not an inert media, devoid of all life like rockwool media or even coco.

Girls are looking GREAT though! Despite your attempts at self-sabotage! :rofl:
I know the lyrics to that song frontwards and backwards! LOL!

Looking good man! :smiley:

1 Like

IPM should be proactive, not reactive. Alternate your IPM weekly . nematodes will work in most media , but will die off without a food source.Many bag soil is sterilized and need to be repopulated with beneficial microbes. Many bottle nutrients and salts decrease your microbes population. So be aware of what you put in your soil.

1 Like

This is the time in your grow when tap water isn’t good a nuff. ( maybe not so much for living soil growers) .I Ph my water so my microbes can use their energy on something else. I bet about 80% of the experienced grower have one of those cheap Amazon ph pens and tds meters collecting dust somewhere. Don’t waste your money. Buy a good one ( pay now or pay later) Apera, or Bluelab is the best . Don’t go into flower with a cheap pen , it will cost you

2 Likes

Sage advice there peeps!
i didn’t even get my first grow to the flip before I had replaced the $20 cheapies with the Apera 60. Relible, professional meter that reads Ph, EC and PPM. Worth every penny!
Even if I hadn’t used my CC miles I built up buying everything else to start my grow! :rofl:

HGE!!

1 Like

@Tylersays , good choice, I’ve only had to calibrate my apera once in over a year. Well worth the money​:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

This isn’t one of my most vigorous growers but ,I would say this is a good example of what week one in Veg should look like. Day 8 Super Silver Haze, and Fuel D Og

6 Likes

very nice :ok_hand: Mr :cool:…how’s the Blue Cheese ?.. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :sunglasses: :v:

1 Like

@Arrow , the blue cheese is my daily driver, and can’t wait to see what the next run will be. Genotype + environment = phenotype. With each grow I’m getting to be a better grower. Which means a better environment. But this formula is lacking something. I’m getting better at curing also, and I believe that has a equal influence on taste .

3 Likes

Genotype + environment + environmental influence on the genotype = phenotype … :crazy_face: :sunglasses: :v:

2 Likes

Week 2 of Veg .this is when I top my plants. Normally I top around the 5th or 6th node. Make sure you leave a little bit of the stem ,to keep your plant from splitting

. But my plant are growing in a squatting, bushy position, with tightly packed nodes. ( if you are in a tent , this is what you train your plants for ). I found this quote in my notes (Topping allows us to manipulate the growth patterns of the plant by removing top apical growth tips where auxins are produced. This is called, “breaking the apical dominance”, and it allows lateral branches to develop. Many plant training practices such as manifolding and mainlining, rely on topping as a component technique. However, it can also be used on its own to break apical dominance and train cannabis plants.) I’m going to wait till week 3 to top.

5 Likes

awe work …you are a machine Mr :cool::sunglasses: :v: :v:

1 Like

Week 4 , going to repot them next week, super crop ,and lollipop them

5 Likes

on track …as always … :ok_hand: :sunglasses: :v:

2 Likes

Ran into a little lockout . Normally I get root bound in week 6 with 7gal pots. So when I was getting deficiency in week 4 ,I tried increasing potassium and magnesium. Took me about a week in a half to figure out, what I was doing wasn’t helping. I put the girls in 15gal grow bags ,with nematodes and recharge. The girls are back on track

4 Likes

Grow update, I wanted to take a pic before I lollipop and kushman chiropract. Setting my trellis , and top dressing before flipping to flower… picked up some new grow equipment. 2 monkey fans and a Levoit Wi-Fi humidifier. ( the Levoit is the best piece of equipment, I’ve brought in a long time) .look what a healthy plant can do in a week.

4 Likes

awesome work Mr :cool: …those planties sure made a turnaround :star_struck::ok_hand: :sunglasses: :v:

3 Likes

@Arrow , thank you for the kind words, every grow is different, as long as I recover in Veg. Everything is ok

2 Likes

i got a serious hiding in mid flower this run… :roll_eyes: :sunglasses: :v:

1 Like