LST first time rope-a-dope pics

@HappyHydroGrower, @Myfriendis410, @hellraiser @MrPeat It seemed time to thin out my tent. One male trashed. Other hopeful females spread outdoors in various ways I’ll cover another time after taking some pics.

Here’s the new group and my first LST work. (While working the earworm song was “I want to tie you up” by awesome blues guitarist , song writer and singer Duke Tumatoe. He’s a hoot in Chicago Blues).

Here’s overalls. At this time I have not topped or trimmed, except dead lower leaves. Open to comments and suggestions.

This is the main bend.

I’m thinking to give it a little recovery time, then top it, just the top node. Considered fimming, but result too off balance I think?
Next question, will I stop too much growth if I right now take off the big top fans that became vertical? Or wait? These are photo flowering so no rush.
Also I haven’t seen anything about taking partial leaves off big fans that are shading newly exposed branches. Does it kill the leaf?
Last, can I transition to 24hr lights at this point? Now running 16/8. Does that need to be done gradually or can I jump it?
I started this off with free seeds and little knowledge and a DIY let’s see what happens attitude. Find I’m getting awfully fond of them and hope not to screw it up. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: An old softy.

4 Likes

Nice! My first time lst training as well.

5 Likes

Tomorrow, you probably won’t even know that leaf was there. It will look totally different. She will head for the light by morning. The whole plant will look different.
Good job!

2 Likes

Wow, that’s a beautiful ring you created. What growth potential. The top pic is “before”? Did you do trimming or was it just a beautiful full plant naturally? Makes me want to know all about its species and your growing/lighting setup. Nice.

2 Likes

Can’t wait! Thanks.

I did trim a little as well, but so far it’s almost all her. And yea, before and after.

1 Like

If you are interested, I have everything detailed in my journal.

I did upgrade from a blurple to a spider farmer 1000 last week.

1 Like

I like to pinch the central leader at or around the 4th node and wait till the branches grow out. Then bend them down. Keep the plant more balanced. The central stem stays vertical. If you want to get fancy, you grow 3 nodes out sideways and pinch each one. Then spread and tie down those also. 1 plant mega branches! Ultimate scrog plant!

2 Likes

LST 301 you are looking like ya been doing this a long time! Great job! Both of you. Stay lit :hotsprings:

1 Like

Hey @HappyHydroGrower yesterday morning was the surprise you promised! What a change . I went right in and removed those two huge fans. Haven’t missed them. Don’t think she has either.

And for the record here she is today, second morning

WIth this positive outcome I’ll be trying something on most of my plants. Really curious about fimming.

2 Likes

@Jstar I am interested and will be reading. Thanks.

1 Like

@Cannabian That’s a great (new to me) concept. I have a tent plant with your name on it to try that. Thanks.

1 Like

Tell me how it goes for you… you will have mucho cannabis if you scrog it right. Make sure you start in a big enough pot because once you start, you cant transplant very easily the bush will be very bushy!

@cannabian I cut the main leader today. It’s in a 5 gallon. Kinda hate to disrupt it now. Perhaps make a modest 2 x 2 ft scrog frame. Tho I could jump it up to 7, 9 or 10. Going to require some other planning on what to do with the other 7 girls currently in the 4x4 tent. I had figured to keep 4 maturing plants in there. But trying a scrog is a tempting idea and mucho cannabis always gets my attention…

3 Likes

Yeah, what Im talking a boot 1 plant will fill a 4x4. In my opinion, 4 plants is max. That only gives 1 square foot per plant! Thats pretty puny weed.

1 Like

I have 1 plant in my 2x3 two plants were to tight couldn’t LST to reach their full potential. My experience

Even two square feet per plant if you cut a 4x4 in quarters @Cannabian is pretty tight I am realizing. @HappyHydroGrower 4x4 Scrog was an eye opener. No need to squeeze in a lot of plants. Seeing that you can max out a 4x4 tent with one well done plant, Why do it? As a cautious beginner I started a lot of seedlings to hopefully harvest something. Didn’t have a clue. Now culling out males as they show up. But still will be moving more girls outdoors. And learning a lot.
@Chasworks I appreciate your perspective about how your grow space works out.

1 Like

Yeah 16 square feet gets pretty jam packed with 4 plants. Honesty, when you get a good female, see if you an get it to make a couple clones… save some seed money there and have a replacement plant or 2. The money you save on seed can go to a second seedling light or another small tent. Small plants can do just fine at room temperature with a 2 bulb florescent fixture long enough to flower out. Get a couple grows under your belt and some weed in your jars and the pressure is off.

1 Like

My scrog was a 32 x 32. It took six months From seed to harvest. You’re only going to get so much out of an area. Whether it’s one plant or 4 plants.
Some grow 4 plants in a 4 x 4, and then you have some that can grow one plant in a 4 x 4. Either way you’ll only get so much.
I had to think about how am I going to get to the back of the tent to trim.
For me it was easy because I had my tent on wheels so I could pull it out from the wall and unzip it all the way to be able to trim around the back side of the tent.
Doing a scrog takes some planning. You’ll need to flip the lights to 12/12 when your grow area is about 3/4 full of plants to give them room to stretch.
Either way you’ll do good! Keep up the good work. :sunglasses:

1 Like

@Cannabian I can see how a second small space would be great for bringing seedlings/clones along to keep the pipeline flowing. I’ll have to read up on cloning. Having a dependable woman is wonderful, so…