LST Advice...is it time?

@Gardenguy

So here is a pic of my plant, as you can see I have tied her down in spots. Is there any harm now in just letting her branches grow straight up instead of continually LST the branches? I figure in the next couple weeks she will go into flower and it would make sense for her to have some nice straight branches?

This is obviously my first go at it, so I want to learn all the ins and outs…

No harm in it, if that is what you want to do. What I would do is keep the tallest branch down and let the shorter ones catch up so that they are equal height . Training them is my favorite part though. If I could I would just veg them and do the training and then give them away lol . I don’t smoke though just grow for friends and family

You would get more off the plant if you fill your space as best you can though @dmykins

1 Like

@Gardenguy

Makes sense. I may roll with this plant the way she is just to see all the ins and outs of how it works. It is pretty fun to train them and see how she bounces back. It’s oddly enjoyable lol.

2 Likes

Well you certainly will get a better idea what to expect once you see how they grow start to finish a few times

Op, i didnt see this mentioned above but super cropping has become one of my favorite methods of training. I havent noticed much stress associated with it and its a great way to shape your plant.

1 Like

@Silverback

I will have to do some research!

Should I start defoliating the fan leaves that receive no light? If so, is there too much at once that will kill the plant?

Here’s some before and after pics of my Amnesia haze auto that has been LST’d and defoliated.
Plant sprouted March 24 started LST on April 18.

April 18

April 25

May 2 after defoliation

Today May 6

2 Likes

Training the White Widow Autos, from a few grows back.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Nice looking plants!

@NavyVet420
@registereduser

Is there any sort of guide you follow when defoliating? Or do you just take fan leaves that receive no light.

It also looks like you can’t over do it and kill the plant.

Very nice!

1 Like

I followed this video for defoliation. I did remove quite a bit from my plant. You’re basically looking to get rid of or tuck any fan leaves that are blocking bud sites. Once you start you’ll realize what to remove and what to leave.

1 Like

@dmykins, I don’t defoliate until plant goes into flower. Then it is the bigger fan leaves and often the smaller bud sites.

1 Like

@NavyVet420

I am getting ready to switch to flower, do you wait until after the stretch to defoliate?

1 Like

Yup. Don’t thin it out too much at one time though. Since I LST mine, I start by removing the biggest leaves from the bottom. Light penetration is never an issue since I train my girl, so for me, it’s about the energy going to the right place. I thin out popcorn sites too so all the energy is going to the main buds.

2 Likes

@NavyVet420

So my plant has been in flower for 2 weeks, so I would assume the stretch is over. Attached is a pic of my plant. Looking for advice on defoliating…should I remove what I circled in red? If so, should I just cut it at the main stem and remove the branch completely?

Any advice is appreciated. Unfortunately I do not have any more room to spread the plant out…

1 Like

@dmykins, she look AMAZING!! Honestly, I would leave them. Nip off any flower sites below the main canopy so all the growth goes the main bud sites.

1 Like