Lower part of the stem is much thinner

Question from a fellow grower:

"HI, MY PLANT IS IN VEGETATION MODE. DOING WELL BUT MY CONCERN IS THE LOWER PART OF THE PLANT IS VERY THIN FROM WHERE THE ORIGINAL SUCKER LEAVES CAME AND AND THE TWO SERRATED LEAVES. I HAVE CLIPPED THE SERRATED LEAVES OFF THE SUCKERS HAVE PRETTY MUCH SHRIVELED UP.

SHOULD I BE CONCERNED THAT THE BASE STEM IS SO THIN LIKELY NOT THICK ENOUGH TO SUPPORT THE EXPANSION. IT HAS BEEN IN POST SPROUT/VEGETATion stage for about two weeks.

Thanks in advance "

IMG_4517 IMG_4516

1 Like

A picture in natural light would confirm but almost looks like a damping off issue. Stem appears very dark at base.

7 Likes

The soil is staying to wet and it’s damping off…
If you keep overwatering it’s going to lead to plant death… :anguished::grimacing::+1::wink:
:v::sunglasses:

9 Likes

Thanks guys we’ll cut back on the watering and suppliments

3 Likes

Hello @vernf welcome to the community

1 Like

@peachfuzz nailed it, I went through the same thing just slow your roll with the water can👍

2 Likes

Welcome @vernf to the community btw!!!

1 Like

thanks for sharing Shane. So did yours survive or did you have to start over? Mines growing lots of leaves so it looks encouraging other than the thin base stem

1 Like

Thank you. good to be aboard:-)

2 Likes

Yes she survived then some lol

3 Likes

Yeah its easy to do it’s like programmed into our brains to think were doing it good drowning it with water.

1 Like

Thats HUGE encouragement guys
Thanks so much
Happy Thanksgiving

2 Likes

What’s even weirder is what kills it in soil or soiless works just fine in just pure liquid! Go figure!

1 Like

@vernf, I would have to agree with all above. We all have the tendency to over water in the beginning. Like @Shaneo420said slow your roll with the water, don’t water until container/pot feels light. Pick the pot/container up after watering, wait a few days and pick it up again. You will know what I am talking about and your plant will give you signs as to when she needs water. Watch and you will pick up on the signs. I hope that you have a great Thanksgiving and by the way, welcome to the forum/community. I think that you will like I have, see that everyone is willing and most more than able to provide help in figuring it out

1 Like

Welcome to ILGM @vernf

Thank you all for your comments and welcomes. Ive cut way back on watering but want to give it a bit of ilgm growth fertilizer. Curious should i cut off the leaves that are over half yellow?