Lower leaves turn yellow and fall off

Don’t reply to the email notices, just click one of the two reply buttons here on the forum. In the edit box you can upload pictures.

I have only fertilized once and that was the past watering. Cactus 2-7-7 only time.

Jim Renneker

i think i may have had another thread about yellow leaves. as u can see in my pics the leaves are a darker green and curling downward and inward. you have to look close but, at the ends of stems and at internodes are clumps of pistils which i assume is a flower. my concern is these “clumps of pistils” don’t seem to be getting any larger and the pistils are turning amber. is that normal or is the plant coming to the end of it’s natural life. i flushed the plant but, i don’t think it was the ratio of 3 gl. water to one gallon of soil. this thread is about a different plant… i’ve only added nutes (2-7-7 for cactus) but, not for a couple weeks.; except i’ve misted with a mild solution of 2-7-7 fert . leaves still look a darker green. i can’t seem to figure out ( from most of the verbage) what’s wrong with this plant.

All right you’ve got at least two threads going that’s why I’m confused …now I see, I agree with Latewood, I think you overamped your plants …too much nitrogen ?

When I said I had leaves like yours I meant they were short plants with very thin, sativa like leaves. I regret not being clearer, they’re not curled like that

Edit: You have three identical threads going? that really doesn’t help it just causes confusion, and causes the monitors who work hard here to pull double or triple Duty, not cool

1 Like

paranorman, sorry for the multiple threads. i’ve only tried a forum once before and that was craigslist. and, i assume you might know how that went.
so, if i have questions about separate plants - how should i present them to the forum.

did you get my reply of not feeding plants? I did flush each with your suggestions

yes, thank you. sorry i didn’t respond . many have asked for pics and some one (gues you) suggested they be sent to @mtbox. somehow i got the idea that that was a form address and couldn’t figure out what to type before the @ sign. i’m not that good or knowledgable with computers. i’m 64 and working on improving skills.

1 Like

well, if i may i’m going “piggyback” off paranorman" most recent response and try to address all other’s responses. first, i appreciate everyone’s viewpoints. i’m focusing now on just one of my threads - the one about :flowering" . someone questioned the timing of seeing pistils and immediately going to 12;12 lighting. yes, that’s what i did.
another, suggestion was dehydration. possible, as i’ve gone maybe 2 weeks without watering. i use 50% pro-mix in my soil recipe. the stuff never seems to dry out. i use a luster leaf moisture meter. i also use the finger method but, i have peripheral neuropathy in my hands and feet and have been experiencing some numbness so, i can’t totally rely on that. i careful about watering (conservative) as i lost several seedlings to root rot. but, i learn that my starter soil had too much soil, i.e. dirt in it.
so, regarding my plant that has the small clumps of pistils that don’t seem to be growing. when the leaves started to curl in and downward i started adding more water (contradictory to what i said above). someone suggested nitro burn. so, i tested the soil with a luster leaf kit. it showed nitro as adequate; everything else sufficient except potassium depleted. pH was neutral. i’ve been looking for a source of just potassium at local home centers but, so far no luck. i’ve done several flushes and have not as yet retested. iv;e stopped watering , fert., and stopped misting with a catus/2-7-7 solution. this a.m. i noticed that most of the leaves seem crunchy yet have a healthy green color. there does not seem to be an increase in the pistils turning amber or maybe i’m suppose to say brown. also, i forgot to say that i fairly often aerate the soil of all my plants with a 3/8’s in. diameter, 2.5 ft. rod with a very sharp point. i assume that doesn’t physically damage the roots and helps them get oxygen. i think i’ll leave the plant alone other than monitoring; wait a week and see if it rebounds.
someone advised that i fill out a support ticket but, i don’t see a link for it at the top. perhaps i’m on the wrong page. thanks again everyone.

Please don’t apologize to me I’m just here like you but I did spent a half an hour chasing your threads without realizing there were several going and that doesn’t help anybody

now please explain to me how it’s possible ro not water a plant in 2 weeks ?
…that’s just not sounding right

I’ve never seen it happen so I don’t know but I wonder if those roots are mostly dead?

In one of the other threads I thought I recalled a monitor said that it might be over or under watering

whichever it is it’s severe so I’m wondering if you are looking at severe underwatering

if you kill your roots they’re not going to come back, they may put some more shoots out depending on how damaged they are not saying that’s what it is but I’m trying to help & I can’t think of anything else, I think this may be a case of Occam’s razor ?

well, maybe my memory isn’t the best but, it sure seems like 2 weeks . actually maybe longer. i know that doesn’t sound possible; and now i’m logging about everything i do to a plant. but, i would fill my watering jug and let it sit to gas-off the chlorine, etc. it just seemed like that jug would sit in my living room for a long time before i needed to use it. also, i recently harvested a plant. i know i did that 2 weeks ago. i put that 5 gal. pot on my front stoop where it would get alot of sunlight and air. i scraped off the top 2 inches to use for a ornamental houseplant. i then dug out the center; packed the remaining soil against the side creating about a 4in. by 12in void to help dry it out and allow the soil to be exposed to sunlight for drying but, to kill any “bugs” with ultraviolet light. i checked it this a.m. and in spots the soil still feels damp. now, to be totally correct i think i said in a previous thread that my soil recipe was 50% promix; 35% perlite; 15% vermiculite. in that recipe (which i put in 5 gal. pot in about 4in. layers.) the very bottom i have 3/4 in. river rock covered with weed fabric, about an inch of wood mulch to hold fabric in place at the sides while i put in soil.; and, to hold some moisture in case i wasn’t able to water timely. of course, i have drain holes at the very bottom. my bottom layer of soil has 2 scoops of top soil (about 4 0r 5 cups per scoop) and, a scoop of wood mulch to hold down compaction and help with drainage. i now know those 2 ingredients are “no, no’s”. the next 2 layers little to no top soil; some mulch; AND, (i know i broke a “rule”) about 1 handfull of tomato fert. i’m from iowa and just couldn’t accept trying to grow something without good black dirt and fert… also, every layer had a scoop of peet moss. in my previous thread i think i said i mostly relied on a moisture meter because, i don’t have good “sense of feeling” in my hands so, i would also use the compaction test taking a pinch or small handful, squeezing it to see either how compacted or crumbly the soil was. it almost always compacts and i can sense some moisture.

You gotta forgive me I sat on my reading glasses like a dope recently and I don’t go to my eye doctor till next month so I can’t really follow all that right now but I get what you’re saying about the watering, that just seems unreal to me ? …can you see Brown roots at the bottom in the drain holes ?

1 Like