Lower branches breaking off

The lower branches are breaking off.Should I remove all lower branches or try to support them ? I just assumed they would hook around and create bigger buds than newer growth branches. Second question : I’ve topped and they have grown out… should I bend these over ?

Some pictures will help. You inside or out?

1 Like

Outside … the plants are about 5 feet tall in the ground… I’ll work on the picture

Don’t want to jump to conclusions but could be a number of things. Too big of buds (if flowers) could be bugs

No it’s not bugs… they have been in since the first week of June. I was thinking the growth is just too aggressive? I’m guessing these girls won’t flower until next month. Purple haze. I’m at 45 degrees parallel… so quite far north . Fyi : this is my first grow so I am trying to put all of the pieces together for a good amateur strategy

Once buds get on there they will be breaking like crazy.

3 Likes

I agree, you’re going to need to stake the branches.

3 Likes

Keep the lower branches? Thanks guys … now what about topping… they have been topped once…bend them over or let them go

2 Likes

Add some stakes, raise the lower branches off the ground, and tie them to the stakes.

You can also pull the upper branches down a bit to spread them out.

I wouldn’t top, I’d just let her go.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone

1 Like

But why do they break off? I had a buddy who grew outdoor in 35 gallon trash cans and I never saw any of his break off? Its pissin me off? Why are my lower branches breaking off,lost 3 so far and today my baby was laying on its side !!! WTF? Im growing a photo Romulan in a 35 gal. fabric pot!!

Don’t worry Al… as far as I can tell my problem was all water related. I was watering every 3 days I think. When I watered the branches started to load up with water within 12 hours. This year I scaled back to 2 plants because I have so much product from 2 years ago. (13 plants) I used fencing stakes and wire to hold up the branches left over( a lot ) . This year I have lost 5 or 6 branches on each plant. ( 3 to 4 footers) I watered less this year and my plants are currently 7 feet and budding in Northern Maine. I think if I had time I might water more and spend more time staking. I’m just getting to staking this year because I’m lazy.
On the other hand:
I have a feeling that the breaking branches might also be stressing the plants and causing them to develop more tricolmes. My weed has a stronger/longer buzz then anything I’ve tried from the store in Maine. 2 years later.

@Johnsmith Thanks Your plants looked good…I didn’t realize this thread was so old…Must have been smokin that night :blush: Yeah Im not in the ground so I will have to make some sort of McGyver scaffolding?..Next year Im gonna be prepared…and Oh yeah like AAA says":Once buds get on there they will be breaking like crazy." yeah that’s right…better go start building my support! Thanks all!