Low Ryder issues

Ok this was my first indoor grow.I am an avid vegetable gardener so I thought this might be a piece of cake it’s been 9 weeks of indoor growing for my low Ryder and there are very few kolas, maybe one on all 5 plants. They all grew to about 18 inches except one which is About 3.5-4 feet tall she was an ugly baby but a gorgeous teenager.
My grow room is an old milking barn closet lined with Mylar my lights are 1 high pressure sodium, 1 compact florescent “grow light” and 1 MARS LED all uSed at different times of growth.
I grow all.organically so I mixed my own soils using compost bone meal and potting soil. I planted all 5 in a 3x5 foot “planter box” that is 2 feet tall with 18 inches of soil and a 6 inch air gap at the bottom to facilitate drainage AND allow for the best aeration. The temperature is a constant 77 degrees and I maintain nearly 60% humidity. I water every other day but mist the girls every day. I collect rain water for all the watering and the PH is neutral.
Needless to say I expected my plants to dense buds. I have almost no buds lots of hairs but no resin.
HELP. I don’t understand what I am doing wrong.

2 Likes

even growing organic certain rules factor being not over watering and ph control do you know ph of your soil? did you add bat guano blood meal or dolamite lime? Also plant genetics always play some factor
My thought is that when you mixed soil it may have been too hot nutrient wise and fried roots on some of your plants or perhaps ph is too far out. Plant genetics mean some plants thrive while others are weaker slower or simply late bloomers.
What’s your current light cycle?

1 Like

The soil PH is 7 and the light cycle is 21 on and 3 off using the LED. The “ugly” one is by far the healthiest but I don’t know if she is actually a low Ryder 4 feet seems to big for that strain.
Sorry yes blood meal to the soil mixture also.

so you are still in veg cycle then here is what I would like you to do test run off ph next water and water less often your plants need to get some dry time how are you judging when to water? try sticking finger in soil 1-2" deep if it’s still moist/wet don’t water by giving less water your roots will search for it. Are these reg, auto or fem seeds? you started with if they are reg I would suspect the tall one is male some pics would be nice. Ph of 7 is slightly high for soil 6.3-6.8 would be your ideal

thanks Donald. I always check the soil.moisture when before I water.
These plants are all low Ryder feminized autoflower. My understanding of auto flower is their cycle isn’t light based but instead time based. So I was excited to see how this worked as in the veggie growing this is much less common.
I will check the bigger plant to see if it’s male but I bought all femminized, auto flower low Ryders.
Honestly Donald I am at my wits end. I can’t take pics right now as they just entered the dark cycle.

1 Like

I suspect the tall one is male myself and would strongly recommend less frequent watering plants have several stages it only truly enters veg after fourth node (set of true leaves) prior to that it is still germinating. If you haven’t done any topping or training extra tops wouldn’t be very expected at 18" they aren’t that small keep in mind any branch will stretch during transition to flower ( first 2-3 weeks of light cycle 12/12) referrer to as stretch plants will double in size and start showing buds.
@pigSquishy made 2 valid points root space and lights
once again a pic would be handy to give us some idea as to set up distance from lights wattages etc.

1 Like

Because of the age of the building 160 years old and made of wood. Dryness has always been a problem with other plants. I assumed marijuana would have the same issue. Pigsquishy I don’t know if you are familiar with a milking barn but the floor is stone, with barn doors on both sides and slates on the walls for air to.move through so the cattle stays cool.
I will check out the videos on LED lights for sure. I NEVER have used them before EXCEPT to treat seasonal depression.
The HPS is an old barn ceiling light and I believe it’s 500 watts, the CFC is 1000 watts and the LED is 1000watts. Again I don’t use them all at one time. Lmao if I did rebuilding would be glowing.
I had wondered if he planter was to small for 5 plants shut they were going to be smaller and even at double the size in roots I thought it would be enough. The plants are at 100+ days already so do you think it’s to late to replant some of them? Do you think I can force more bud growth buy repotting?

even auto flower plants can on occasion need the kick in the arse that a light cycle change gives and feminized plants can go male :wink: hermie but if you are sure she’s a she then the rest may simply need the light change to induce or trigger flowering Dark cycle if in veg can bare the brief photo shoot we actually prefer true light pictures rather than led or hps since it changes the hue and makes colours hard to judge

Thanks so much Donald and Pigsquishy.
I will test the run.off PH tomorrow,
I will try rearranging the distance to the lights
I will post pics, as there is NO lights at all except in the grow room and my flash sucks.
I will try to see is the giant is a male,that is possible I suppose.
I will watch the lighting videos too.
Hopefully they are just being temperamental and I can salvage this batch.
Thanks again

keep us updated a picture will give us good clue as to how far along they are and if the smaller ones have even started to flower the large 1 may be the only plant in flower? but a when sexing reg plants males are typically taller and lanky which a 1-5 plant would get my alarm bells ringing mind you I know what I am looking for having sexed many over the years. Ask piggy some times auto’s don’t flip into flower on their own sadly no seed bank has 100% success and plant genes have a mind of their own :wink:

1 Like