Low budget exhaust/smell mitigation

So, i have been playing around with things. Bought a grow set up from a buddy and he included a high CFM EF (exhaust fan) with the (2) tents. I currently only have the 2x4 setup, so I figured i play with it.

I bought (2) cheap amazon “desk” fans with clips. They have a usb plug in and I use phone “cubes” to plug into the outlet. The 6" fan fits perfectly into the tent opening and I don’t need a 300cfm fan to get proper air exchange in a 2x4 tent. So I decided to try this. It worked great! No more high humidity and with a small heater on an inkbird controller the temp stays consistant with the lights off.

Well, my entire basement started to smell, to the point that it went through sheetrocked walls and a door, then up the stairs around a corner and could smell it where the basement door is in the kitchen.

On a whim I put cheap foil ducting around the small desk fan to the 6" carbon filter. I left the opposite side lower flap slightly open for make up air. Low and behold the tent walls suck in (negative pressure) and the small desk fan ($13-$16 on amazon) moves the air through the filter. I can now stand next to my tent and smell NOTHING when it is closed.

With legalization in CT maybe I should get into building grow rooms on the side, I’d love to do.that and with the skills and knowledge I have I could accomplish it. I have already done a design build for a commercial dispensary Vault. :grinning:

I’m super happy and so is the wife!

@ChittyChittyBangin @RPgrower @GreggT @Jilli @Fatz1973

9 Likes

Heck yea!!

8 Likes

Badass brother!!

3 Likes

Any air movement will bring tent walls in, curious to see if you feel enough air is exchanged to keep co2 levels up?

3 Likes

Most definitely, that fan is moving quite a bit of air, I didnt have my anemometer but it appears to be moving 100cfm or very close to. For 8sqft that is more than enough to exchange the air properly.

4 Likes

Agreed that should be plenty.

2 Likes