Looking to light a 4x4 tent, help!

So I bought a starter tent kit on amazon and surprise surprise, I hate my light and want a better rig. I’m really not sure with all the information out there if I should buy a whole new rig or try my luck at building one

1 Like

I have done a little reading and I would order my needs as such

1. light coverage, I want the full 4x4 to be useful, I like to SOG my plants
  2. efficiency
  3. budget
    I am not opposed to building one myself, I just am unsure of proper spacing and if I should make a QB or use cobs and layouts to best fill my tent

I just bought the EnFun diy 240w kit with samsung diodes and meanwell driver. Its at least good enough to flower a 2×4 area. 2 of these kits would light up a 4×4 pretty nice for under $500.

3 Likes

I think that happens with everyone. I personally love a 4x4 but I use an assortment of lights as supplements and move them around depending on which area needs more love. COBs are amazing but I’ve had a hard time finding a sweet spot with them. They get a little warm and you may find they are not the most efficient. Following this post to see other ideas

If you want an easy plug n play go to horticulture lighting group and get 2 260W XL QB V2 RSPEC LED KITS.

10 Likes

Yea I have heard a lot of praise from HLG, I’m not apposed to plug n play just wanna make sure I’m not wasting money on garbage equipment again

3 Likes

I hear you. I bought my share of blurple junk. Hlg is quality lighting.

If you prefer to save a few bucks and diy, there are other options. I’m a big fan of the light strips from pacific light concepts.

4 Likes

Can’t go wrong with properly sized lights from HLG. You might want to also check out Budget Led. I have lights from Budget and was very happy with performance. I recently built DIY lights with Pacific Light Concepts strips. If you are not in hurry to get something you should check out A DIY light. This is the build I did. Fairly easy to build.

6 Likes

Lots of good advice here. I have built several HLG lights and had great results in my 3x3 tent. I recently upgraded to a 4x4 tent and just finished my PLC lights. I would recommend either. I have no experience with budget but have read good things about them.

3 Likes

@Drinkslinger for the win. I’ve got the 288 rspec boards. You won’t be disappointed.

3 Likes

I run 2 HLG 260xl Rspec kits and this is what can happen with these lights.

Yup over 6 feet tall.

4 Likes

Gd dayum

1 Like

How did you wire those? Are they straight into the wall or are you using a ballast?

1 Like

Any of the leds will require a power supply, usually called led driver. Depending on the led modules and driver used could need to be wired differently. All of the hlg 260 kits are two boards wired in series though.

2 Likes

do you guys think 2 mars hydro 600s will work for it?

Yes I ordered two of the HLG 260 kits, I’m asking if you plug both lights straight into the outlet? I’m worried about you much pull from one breaker

1 Like

They pull 500watts ± (for two)

A 15amp circuit is good for 1800-2000 watts, a 20 amp 2400 watts. It’s a good idea not to exceed 80% of that, but depending on what else is plugged in you should be good.

4 Likes

Ok cool, I understand the lights I don’t particularly understand my breaker so that helps a lot

This one?

https://www.amazon.com/MarsHydro-Updated-Spectrum-Certificate-Hydroponic/dp/B00XC3LBIW

You’d need 6 of them to effectively flower a 4’x4’.

Friends don’t let friends buy blurples…

2 Likes

If you open your breaker panel, each circuit has a breaker. There should be a 15 or 20 on the general purpose circuit breakers.

2 Likes