Looking into 600watt HPS/MH air cooled and know nothing

the light arrived just fine works good and no broken bulbs. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Awesome news @TokersHaven your girls going to love the new light

1 Like

Congrats!!! Did you just get the hood or was it the whole kit?

It as a kit for 160. Now i just got to watch temps lol.

1 Like

So I think I have narrowed down which type of ballast to go with. I going to look more into the magnetic ones. So now lets talk about the bulb itself. MH is good for vegging, HPS good for flowering. Is it necessary to run both? Can you run HPS threw a whole grow? There seems to be a lot of different ways to get to end product. I just ordered a T5 to add to my other one and going to use it to get things started. Then possibly switching to HPS for finishing. I know some like the LED but that is still a bit out of my price range.

@B345T @TokersHaven @peachfuzz @Countryboyjvd1971 @kabongster @McLovin777

1 Like

You can get x 2 450w meizhi which are as good as a 600w not doubt and you have no heat problems. As for MH HPS,I’d 100% pay 20 extra for another bulb, for 1 if it did die randomly no worries you have a hps and 2 mh looks soo different than hps. Last but a million percent not least. Get a ballast with 250, 400, 600w some only have 400 and 600 and them super lumen. All in all of say get the leds, I brought 3 600ws that I just can’t use my man… wish I could but the heat means of have to run my fan full blast which is too noisy for my neighbours. Good luck anyway

1 Like

Using HPS for veg will cause your little lady to stretch up not something you want early on, So a halide is the best option by far for vegging, and for flowering might i suggest a dual spectrum rather rather than pure red just watch the Purple spectrum on the box the more there is the better that way will give you a higher THC content something to do with UVB lol…

1 Like

I only use LED lights bud so I’ll step aside and let other who use those answer your question bro I’m will be following along tho lol

1 Like

No problem. How many LED do you run? Have you used MH/HPS and if so how do they compare?

I have three per tent @Smokin_ernie
I have one 1000 watt cob led in each tent
I have two 400 watt cobs led in with the 1000 in one tent
And I have two 300 w led with a 1000 watt cob led in the other
My third tent I have two 300 watt reg leds
Actual watts somewhere between 5-600 watts in both big tents and about 300 in my small tent
Tents are 4x4x7 foot
two of them
And a 2x2x4 foot
And I’m thinking about adding one more to each of my bigger tents maybe I don’t really need more growth is nice :+1: buds big and dense :v::cowboy_hat_face:CB

2 Likes

ya you got some light going on there. That is awesome.

1 Like

I built them up over time bro I started out wit one 300 watt and added more as the plants got bigger
They when I moved from my homemade box to tents I bought more
No expense it to much for my ladies as long as it’s in my budget
I actually made my wife buy me lights for Xmas last year :cowboy_hat_face::+1::v:CB
Oh and ps no ive only used led indoors bro
I made that choice because of the heat issue ? @Smokin_ernie
My tents tend to stay about 5 degrees warmer than room temp with all those light running

2 Likes

wow that is awesome. That is one thing I am worried about is the heat from the HID lights.

I think you’ll be ok wit a vented hood @Smokin_ernie if you decide to go that way
But I didn’t want the extra expense of cooling my growroom
Which is in my basement but anything I can save is a plus in my eyes
I have Ac available but do not run it most of the time
I keep my basement at 55% humidity with my dehumidifier and even in 90degree weather my basement stays about 78-80 so plus 5-6degrees for lights my tents will be no warmer than 86degrees which I can live with if the plants where out side they would need to deal with that too

1 Like

your right to be worried, lmao… I’m having all sorts of issues this spring its been crazy warm for a few days tent been sitting in the 90s :frowning:

1 Like

Heat will be your main concern with HID’s…
I built a special room with all of that in mind …
It was a big undertaking and alot of engineering involved with my setup… my outside temperatures reach 125 to 130 deg sometimes…
I have never used led’s , so I can’t really give you any info on them… sorry
The only thing I can say for sure is if you even think there’s a possibility that you might be fighting heat issues , you really need to look at this from all directions… :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks guys I really appreciate the responses.

Just was at the local hydro shop and ask about lights magnetic ballasts 600w air cooled hood and HPS bulb for 200$ seem like a good price.
@B345T @peachfuzz

2 Likes

from a LOCAL store that’s a great price for the whole kit… and can i say good on you using the local store might cost a fraction more at the beginning but hey if it ever goes poof least you only gotta pop round the corner :wink:

3 Likes

@Smokin_ernie
Hey man - also from MA - just reading your thread here on the 600w lights.
I’m going through the exact same thing right now that you were… Wondering what you ended up going with and how it worked out for you?
Ive debated on all the diff brand kits for around $160 - vivosun sounded best but not sure…
Also curious if you went with the local shop as theres a few near me. Did they offer a warranty?