Looking for wisdom

Buy once; cry once.

3 Likes

Buying good lights is usually overlooked on the first grow.
You’re really not going to find 1 light for $100 that can effectively flower good bud in a 4’x2’ tent.

You could diy a bridgelux strip panel that pulls 100w for around $100, but even adding that to your current philzon won’t quite be enough. But, you could do a side by side grow and see just how good the strips are.

I built a real easy light with two hlg qb288v2 and slate heat sinks for around $250. That’d be enough for your tent.

3 Likes

I get it. You don’t want to spend even more money now. Here is my advice:
Use your light in just veg mode for now because seedlings are fragile. If you have clamp light, you might even consider just using a single 6500K CFL bulb during that stage.
As soon as they have a few sets of leaves and are in the vegetative state, turn on BOTH lights.
Once they are well established, kick that new light into both veg and bloom mode. Use both lights at maximum power.
The lights you have aren’t great (FYI, they are both 100 watt lights) but you can still grow a perfectly decent plant with them.

Now… while all that is going on - slow down, take some time to sit back, do plenty of reading on lights and make a calculated decision on where you want to go (CMH, LED DIY, LED kit, etc.) next.

The problem is that there are very few options in commercial lights for that space. Qb 260xl kit assembled by growerslights is probably a best bang for your buck type of option.

3 Likes

@dbrn32 I appreciate it! I’m looking into it now - I still don’t have the confidence to do it solo but my fathers and electrical engineer so I’m sure we can build a light easy enough. Good pops and son project.

@everyone else - thank you for the replys hopefully this will help others with similar questions.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 this one?

2 Likes

I’ve met him: he’s taller haha!

4 Likes

Most here just don’t want to see you caught in the cycle many of us were in: bought a blurple light, found out it wasn’t enough; bought a couple more, the grow space expanded, needed more light, bought some more and suddenly you’ve got 10 crappy lights drawing twice what a better light would from the wall socket.

I did a “strip build” with guidance from the man and halved my electrical demand immediately. This is a factor you should load into your cost calculations; running costs will be considerably less and likely better results too.

If you don’t have heat issues you might think about MH/HPS which is the least expensive option for better photon flux.

5 Likes

That setup would be great in a 2x4. But if you DIY that light it will save you more money then you think.

1 Like

@Cyle1 how much all together was your 288 build?

1 Like

It was about 320ish I could have probably found better prices o. Some stuff but I just wanted it so could probably 300 range

1 Like

If you’re looking for a kit in 2x4, that’s the one. If you can get help, DIY will probably save you $100. I can get you setup with stuff that makes the electrical side about as difficult as replacing cord on vacuum cleaner. Rest of the job is pretty much assembling a frame. Some cutting, drilling, and bolting together.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 That model is what I’m going to go with. I only want 2 really nice plants in my tent at a time and it seems it’s the best fit for what I want in the long run.

Now work can hurry and throw me that bonus now lol

3 Likes

You will love it! No harm in vegging with what you have and adding that light when you can either!

2 Likes

You’ll be happy with it

1 Like

I run the 320 XL just a bit bigger than that light. It’s a really nice light or the DIY equivalent either way super bright lol

Would if be bad to just run the Qb260 board for veg and budding stages?

Obviously something smaller for seedlings which is why I think my ladies have not come out of the soil yet. It’s been 5 days.

I’m running mine veg and flower. Currently in veg with it turned all the way down. Once I go into flower I will increase the intensity over time.

1 Like

What do you have them under now? Have any pics? How far is the light?

You’ll do great running it for veg and bloom. Just make sure to pic the correct spectrum. 3500k or 3000k

2 Likes