Looking for the best soil/notes to use

First time here about to start my first grow can someone point me in the right direction as to what soil and nutes I should order any and every suggestion is wanted

1 Like

There are many many options, and just as many opinions.

I currently use Fox Farms Ocean forest soil (plus some organic seed starter soil to start, and occasionally fox farms happy frog). FFOF is balanced for cannabis and after the seedlings are mature enough to go in it, it’s pretty much water and go for about a month.

I use Earth juice nutrients, plus some supplements like bone meal, epsom salt and microbes. Orca, piranha, extrem gardening mykos etc.

That being said. A lot of people start off with fox farms nutes, I did. It’s fairly easy, well detailed, and lots of people are familiar with it. Just in case you have questions.

4 Likes

I found clay balls and 600 watt hid lights worked for myself am about to put some seeds myself has been a few years since I have done one. This was my lighting setup.

2 Likes

So just order some ffof and some organic seed starter

1 Like

What ff nutes would you suggest

1 Like

Soil is typically expensive via the internet. If you have any grow/hydro shops nearby chances are they carry FFOF. For example 1.5 cu ft of ffof by me is $18.99. Nutes, it doesnt matter.
If youre using fox farms nutes I wouldnt waste money on anything organic. Just get some non time release seed starter soil. I use espoma, but you dont need to.

As far as nutes. You could get by on the first grow with just the big 3. Grow Big, Big Bloom, and Tiger Bloom. You may need some supplements along the way like cal-mag. So budget for that. Also budget for a decent pH meter and a decent ppm/tds meter. Theyre essential.

After the first grow you might want to up your game and get some of their bloom enhancers like cha-ching, beastie bloom, opensesame…

3 Likes

I have the vivosun ph meter and ppm combo and I’m willing to get whatever to have a successful grow not really trying to budget

2 Likes

Those meters should be fine.

Let’s hear what others have to say.

I’m assuming you’re only interested in soil grows?

1 Like

Yes it’s my first time growing anything so all I know is soil grow. I smoke so much growing my own would save me tons I ordered some gelato seeds from ilgm and have bn doing alot of reading in these forums hoping to get it all together and have a good grow so basically whatever I have to do I will

2 Likes

Will I also need perlite

If your spending money invest in your lights when it comes to that area spare no experience. I have never used soil would only block up my watering systems.

I fill up tubs with the soil mix of 1.5 cu ft of FFOF, .5 cu ft of compost, 1 brick of coco and some perlite. Add Cal Mag to water used to soak coco. @Myfriendis410 replied Not a bad soil. I would add some worm castings and dolomite lime.
I also use fox farm trio. Seed starter is from local garden supply of peat and perlite

Ok so here’s the easiest method to start back in it. Get

7 gallon fabric pot (or whatever you choose to grow in)

Fill halfway with fox farm ocean forest
Fill half with fox farm happy frog

Make a hole dead center the size of a solo cup

Add 1 solo cup fox farm light warrior

Insert plant and water with Ph’d water for a few weeks when needed Add cal/mag into week 2-3

Get a fox farm dirty dozen combo box and play with some nutrients around week 4-8

4 Likes

@PharmerBob thanks that’s exactly what im going to do I have one of the budget led 250 xl kit by the time I start flowering I will have 2 but for now I have 1 and a UFO led in a 4×4 with a 6 in carbon filter

1 Like

Check of horticulturelightinggroup.com

260 , or 260xl is what you want. 2 for a 4x4 and you’ll flower just fine.

I have 1 of these will have 2 by the time I start flower

2 Likes

I literally just ordered everything you said @PharmerBob

Just wanted to know am I missing anything

I had alot of issues with ffof soil and had to flush a lot but was just using it all by itself. Went to promix vegetable and herb mix its cheap and work’s
the dirty dozen you got is great i love it you will probably need more bembe but it’s worth it also cut the dose in half on their feeding schedule and slowly ramp it up till the leaves show the tips yellow and back off a little this has worked very well for me but now I’m using some fox farm nutes and the rest is the same thing im using on my farm .
Lights i run 2 600w mh/hps with 2 288 qb 3000k and for hps 2000k red sodium and mh 6000 or 6500k, ever since I started running the 288 qb with the mh/hps my buds have been off the charts in flavor and taste and resin i also have 660 and 730nm red strips and green strips but have not got those set up the way I want them
Ph meter apera ph 60 it has replaceable probes well worth it. Calibration solutions a do it often otherwise a expensive lesson can happen.
Would recommend get 90% humic acid it’s cheap on Amazon and only a 1/8tsp per gallon of water makes it super cheap and azomite for your trace minerals if going just led calcium nitrate, calcium edta,and a bag of Epsom salt for cal mag and should be good to go i also use sea-90 and that makes flavor and taste really come out so will pig poop along with the terpines hope this helps you