Looking for tent size

Hello all, I’ll be looking to grow one autoflower and looking for the smallest tent size I could use that without the plant outgrowing the tent. What is the smallest size anyone would suggest ? Thanks in advance.

I would recommend 3x3 or 2x4. Either is bigger than needed for 1 plant, but once you get started you will appreciate a little extra space to tend to your girl. Regardless of how much floor space you go with, try to find one that gives as much vertical space as possible. Many people realize after purchasing a shorter tent that they should have gotten one taller.

2 Likes

If the limitation is physical space that can be dedicated to a tent 2x2 or 24x30" is as small as I would go. It being an auto or photo does not necessarily dictate the amount of space needed. Accomplished auto growers can produce large plants. On the other hand you can intentionally limit the size of a photo various ways.
I have a 3x3x7’ tent. I can grow 1 plant or 4 plants in it easily. Many more if I did SOG style.
For a smaller tall tent check UltraYield @Bulldognuts. You won’t find a 7’ tent in that size very often.

1 Like

Yep, Ultrayield has some of the smallest and tallest tents available. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks !!

1 Like

Sorry for necro’ing this thread, but your comment about height has me curious, or more accurately concerned, so I thought I would ask about it here.

I plan on setting up my grow tent in my unfinished basement, the floor is concrete, but the reason the basement isn’t used much, is that it’s only about 6’ from floor to the bottom of the beams at the ceiling level, but I’m just over 6’8”, so I’ve never really spent much time down there. :smile:

Would growing there be an issue? I now some of the smaller sized tents available are only 60” tall, and the Gorilla Grow Tent shorty I’m currently considering, with it’s included extension is 5’8” (68”) tall.

I had originally planned on starting with a 4x4’ tent, but after watching a bunch of plant care videos, I’ve had to rethink that, as I’ve had multiple back surgeries, and have very limited range of motion if my spine, plus I have severe chronic back pain, so I decided to stick to 2’x4’ tents. I’ll start out with one, and if I find I enjoyed the process of growing, as well as enjoyed “the results” of my grow, than I’ll likely add one or two more 2’x4’ tents, unless someone finally offers a tent that is 2-3 feet deep and anywhere from 6 to 10 feet wide (which I’ve thought since the beginning would be great, despite them needing to add lights instead of being able to get a single larger one, like you can for a 4x4 or 5x5.)

I wouldnt go any less than your full 72". My tent is 6ft and I always have the lights up as high as they will go.
You might consider Panda Film and just make a space as big or small as you need.

2 Likes

Yeah, until that post, I really hadn’t considered room for the lights, and instead was just thinking, “hell, a plant 5’8” would be plenty of room for a plant. Oopsie!

Guess I’ll need to go down in the basement and measure, as I’ve always just sort of measured it’s height by eye, but I’ll want know for sure before I select a tent, as it might be able to do 6’, and possibly just over, at least hopefully (the basement was added to an existing cottage when it was being expanded, so the two sides are slightly different heights, it’s not by much, but hope I’ll be able to squeeze by.)

With the right lights, if I build, or have build, a basic grow tent in the basement, with it attached directly to the floor joists at ceiling level. If I plan it out properly, I could even gain a couple more inches by having the bulkier section on the top of the lights sort of partially stick up between a couple joists.

But, I’m sure I’ll be able to figure out something, preferably something that doesn’t involve jackhammers and rebuilding the floor a little lower! :scream::rofl:

Unless you love to jackhammer then go for it! :rofl:

6ft is fine and you will learn to bend branches at times to keep them under control.
Thing is I didnt think thru was all the little things that steal space.
Grow pot or bag lifts the plant 10 or 12 inches. Perhaps a tray under the plant gets another inch or two.
Lights wont go to the very top because of hangers, power supplies or poles. So very quickly 6 ft becomes 4.5 ft of actual height for a plant.
I grow a pound out of a 3x4 6ft tall tent each grow cycle. I can fit two to four plants but I still get a pound just because its about canopy area not number of plants.

Cool, thanks for the reply.

1 Like

Love my 4 x 4 tent, but housekeeping is unbelievable and time consuming.
My 2 x 4 tent was easier, but, smaller.

2 Likes

Thanks, due to my back problems limiting the upkeep on a tent is very important for me, and while I keep being tempted by 4x4’ tents, I think a 2x4’ is a better choice for me, and if I find that I’m still able to manage more, than I can add a second 2x4’.

Agree 4 x 4 requires too much lifting for back row access.
Although, nice size and allows entry/storage/MORE SPACE