Looking for supplemental lighting

The Right off the bat we all know I’m going to tag @dbrn32

My plants are raised above my reservoir and I have a literal jungle going on. It’s not leaf strip time yet and I believe I could make some very nice lower buds given the fact I do major LST. However I think I need on 36” flower led in white to go down the middle and I’d like to start adding outer horizontal lights as well. It’s 47” to the poles.
So tell me what you have and what there is or how I can build it.
Thanks guys, it’s always appreciated.

As always gonna tag my band of hoodlums
@PurpNGold74
@Jbum
@Cyle1
@PharmerBob
@Stonedagain2
@AAA
@MutilatedMoth
@peachfuzz
@Old-guy

9 Likes

What are you already growing with?

HLG 550v2 this tent is actually a custom job gorilla that 4’6 front to back and 5’ wide.
That I (just) turned up to about 85%. I try to keep my temp at 79°. This will make it 81. But I have co2 back on so should be fine.

3 Likes

Gotcha. So you’re looking for a little more coverage, or to blend up light spectrum some?

1 Like

Dbrn got you coverd you got a jungle

1 Like

Hey, I resemble that Hoodlum remark!

2 Likes

I call Head Hoodlum In Charge!! :joy::joy: but with that hlg u pumpin… i think u could skip sidelighting. And go in for some far reds. It may cost more. But itll add to theoretical denseness.

4 Likes

dbrn has the answers to your questions on the supplemental lighting. I am interested in seeing what you can get growing in those hard to get to places.

1 Like

lighmover maybe. ? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Considering you got that badass hlg turned down you might get everything your light has to offer with a light mover. Amazon has one for about $120.

Even cranked up after I lollipop there are a few that never get true light at the base since I spread them so much. My thought was to get about a 2-4” wide x 24-36” long full spectrum and point it up to see if I could get more under them. Historically each plant has 2-4 bud sites I simply cut off because what they will grow based on the light they receive is worth less than letting the plant focus its energy to the big dogs up top.

1 Like

Don’t forget if they get too tall and up into your lights you can always super crop them if they are in the veg

2 Likes

That would probably help some, but the bottoms of leaves don’t really process light. It’s just a flaw of growing indoors with artificial lighting. You can combat a number of ways. A mover, more diffuse lighting, canopy management, or a combination of those.

1 Like

Just going to point that out.

I would suggest you run a deep flowering spectrum and only use in flower as you currently have ample light for veg. 2,700K or thereabouts.

1 Like

Would those @Grandaddy013 style far-reds help with lowers?

2 Likes

It’s not really the reds that help with canopy penetration, it’s about having more light coverage in that situation. Seems to be a misconception that power creates light penetration, but even the most powerful of lights doesn’t shine through plant matter well. But if you hit the canopy with light from more places and different angles, the light will definitely find more ways to get below the surface.

3 Likes

Ahhh! So if i use my 100w strip builds sideways on both sides with my 200 above… that would help. But not help worth the investment of 200w of juice?

Sorry just remember u saying it wasnt worth investing once. Maybe it was the style lighting dude used

3 Likes

great read! thanks for the tag :slight_smile: I have busy week days so I’m usually quiet but I’ll catch up this weekend.

3 Likes

I feel like it really depends on what you’re already working with and what other measures you’ve taken to set yourself up for best harvest possible. In my opinion, it just doesn’t make sense for most home growers to go after large natural plants indoors. For someone that has to get a lot of harvest per plant, a scrog makes sense. In that scenario you can pretty much just make sure your overhead lighting is up to “par”. Otherwise you just end up spending a lot of veg time to end up with a lot of larf, trimming away a lot of plant around transition, or having cover your grow space in lighting. None of which I feel is really necessary.

3 Likes

Very true. You know my situation. N with quick vegs and a steady in flow of new plant… its definitely enough weed for me. Dont need 1500$ worth of light. Just use whacha got right :joy:

3 Likes