My Organic Grow Journal

So I’m about in my sixth week of veg. on my first full organic grow. Looking for a little feedback. Plants seem pretty happy but I don’t feel as I’m reaching full potential. Kinda feel like I’m missing something.
I’ve been doing a side by side grow of coast of Maine and build a soil 3.0. Ive been feeding alternatively with tm-7, cal-mag, horticultural aloe, revive, fish sh!t, and a touch of silica for an extra boost in roots. Used mycos when transplanting. Seems like a lot but I’ve been spacing everything out pretty evenly and only water when dry at 5-7% of pot size. I had some small bumps when starting zeroing in the light distance and intensity. I started them with two of the newer spider farmer 100w lights. Got it all straightened out and things have been pretty smooth since then. This past week I got my tent all set up with my HLG-300L rspec, proper ventilation with the ac infinity cloud line t6. The humidity and temp has been right giving me a decent VPD in the green zone.
I guess my question is In my research I found that living soil really doesn’t come into play unless your in 15 plus gallon pots. I’ve got my two fem photo plants in 7 gallon pots with about five gallons of soil. I left some room on top to add top dressing and amendments when put into flower. I was planning on vegging for about two-three more weeks to try and train them to cover the footprint of my 3x3 tent. I was going to try scog them out with a net starting next week and keep them horizontal versus vertical. The only thing I think I’m missing is a fulmic acid and amino acid type feed. I feel like I pretty much have had my bases covered on everything else.
Like said it’s my first organic grow and wanted to see if I’m missing anything.

I kept two of my reg photo seeds verity in one gallons until I had my tent set up. But when I went to transplant them this morning and I’m pretty sure I see boy parts. I popped three all three took. One was definitely a male out of three I had him outside and he switched himself out of veg with the me being in the northeast.

Like I said I think it’s too early to tell and may switch them back to 12/12 in a different location and and switch them back if they are girls when they show their parts. I just do not really want go through transplanting them to find out their boys too. I guess that’s part of the game.
Thank you for any feedback in advance.

1 Like

Pretty sure I covered the support ticket. If I’m missing anything don’t be shy. Hahaha

I didn’t see anything that looked male. I grow in living soil in 3 and 5 gallon pots not sure where you saw there was a minimum amount of soil, there is billions of living organisms in just a thimble full of soil unless it’s been sterilized or is just bad soil I guess :thinking:. I use a premixed product so I’m don’t have to have 20 bags of stuff lying around, this makes me lazy to though and I don’t know the details of all the different amendments right off hand. I was only supposed to use this stuff temporarily while I learned more and could mix my own soil but I’ve fallen in love with the stuff and don’t see me changing from it

1 Like

@MeEasy I may be miss understanding them. But I got that info right off the build a soil site. He talks about it in one of their videos. Who knows maybe it’s just sell more products you know. I’m new to it and have been trying to learn as much as possible. What pre mix did you go with?

1 Like

I use Earth Dust it’s from a smaller company in Oregon called The Green Sunshine Co the guy that owns the place is a bit of a nerd :nerd_face: lol but in a good way he really pays attention to detail and has this stuff dialed in making it the easiest way I’ve ever grown weed ever, it’s as close to water only as you can get. You just mix it in your soil and then top dress once for autoflower and twice for photoperiod. I just bought some larger pots because I have noticed when I grow bigger plants they do get hungry from time to time. I believe that’s what the guy you were talking about meant about needing larger pots it’s hard for the little critters to keep up with the plants so more soil more critters more food

1 Like

I’ll tag you over to my thread if you’d like to see what I have growing, it’s not necessarily a tutorial or anything it’s more of a bs session with pictures lol

1 Like

I gotcha. That definitely makes sense. But hey nothing wrong with nerds man they build the world. Haha. I’ve been reading your grow journal. You definitely seem to have some nice results. All summer I grew with salts outside. I guess I have get used to just trusting the system of organics and let nature do her job.

1 Like

Organic growing is definitely different and a little tough to get used to especially if you came from growing with salts n chemicals. It’s a lot of patience and remembering that what you do today won’t even change anything for a week

@MeEasy Figured I’d give a little bit of a update since I’m about to switch cycles. Since I last posted I ran into some sort of deficiency that I really couldn’t point out. But I top dressed my soil and started feeding some teas to try and perk things up. And it seemed to do the trick. I wanted to fix my issues before going into flower so i prolonged veg a couple more weeks. I tried training them the best I could but I’m starting to run out of room. I’m not really sure if a net would help at this point.
I could really use some advice before switching as far as my light goes. I’m running an HLG 300l rspec and two spider farmer 100w lights to push the wattage over 400w.
I had them at 24” running about 25%. I used that phone app to kinda zero in the DLI and ppfd. I guess my question is when do I start ramping up the lights and dropping them. I know the plants should at least double in size in the stretch and things are going to get tight quick. Hopefully anyway. Hahaha
I’ve been super cropping and lst them as much as possible to spread them out. I was considering putting up a net but not sure how to go about such things or if it’s even worth it at this point.
This is my first real inside grow and could really use some help or advice on how to proceed. I was even thinking about pulling the smaller plant since it seems kinda of stunted and there’s some mutant traits.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated or pointed in the right direction.

4 Likes

@Hellraiser @dbrn32 @MidwestGuy @beardless @Deez @MO_Grow417 @Lacewing
Figured I’d tag some others that have helped me the past couple months. It’s all been very appreciated.

4 Likes

Here’s a pic that shows the dli but plants are different and you have to watch for the plant reactions to the light changes but these are good starting point numbers

2 Likes

Also I like to do a good defoliation right before I switch to flower then again three weeks later. Search for growweedeasy then once you get there search defoliation and there’s some good tutorials/articles about it Nebulahaze is my goto gal for training and defoliation

3 Likes

I guess my biggest question is should I cull the smallest plant and let the other two fill the tent. Do you think I’d get a better yield? The two big ones are both fem plants of the same strain. The smaller plant is showing what it should according to the breeder and strain. The mallee is a reg plant that is showing signs of female but who knows in the last hour you know.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tag. I’m was looking at some of the pics and might be seeing the start of a nitrogen deficiency. I’m on my first Photoperiod grow and start of my 3rd. Definitely lean on these others more than me.

Nice topping and training btw :clap:

2 Likes

I believe It’s actually post deficiency. It started about two weeks ago. I applied build a soils, build a bloom and vermiculite mix as a top dressing and fed them a couple rounds of compost teas. Since then it seems the new growth is healthy. I may be wrong. For the longest time I thought I had a potassium and mag deficiency. So I figured I’d them a good all around boost. Since I’ve had them in veg so long. And also wanted them to go into the next cycle healthy and not chasing my tail. That’s definitely the plus with photos. You more or less control the internal time clock. Trust me I want to try autos for the time and efficiency maybe. But I’m not confident enough I’d be able to not mess them up some how.

2 Likes

I just don’t worry and mess them up :laughing:. I’m trying to get all my deficiency learning done early and first hand!

2 Likes

Cutting the little one? I just can’t ever kill a plant I don’t know why but I’m not the right one to ask that one

1 Like

I’d cull it. You have two beauties there and they will produce some serious amounts of bud and will fill your tent out. You haven’t even started stretching yet!!

When you gonna flip the lights?

@MeEasy i feel you on that especially since I popped three of that plant and it’s the last one standing.
@Deez i was planning on defoliating tonight and tomorrow. I’m pretty sure if I did it all at once it be way too much at once. Maybe I’m wrong. That’s why I’m here asking. But the tent came with a bunch of light leaks and it’s supposed to have a warranty. I spoke with infinity last Friday sent them everything they wanted and still waiting to hear back. At this point they are kinda holding me up. I wanted to put a screen down but I was hoping to have everything straightened out with them before that I couldn’t imagine switching shells with a net up.
But if it’s not straight with them by the weekend good old duct tap it’ll be. I really don’t want them getting much bigger before I switch. I’m going to run out of head space.

2 Likes

I’m about 20” from the lights now and if the double in size I’ll have just enough room for lights to go up. Should have went with the 80” tent and maybe even a different company.

1 Like