Looking for recommendations on soil

What’s the best soil to grow in? I’m currently using ffof but I’m looking for something different. I’ve been hearing a lot of good about roots original but just never tried it, so I was wondering what you guys think is the best and why?

1 Like

Roots original is very good. No need for extra perlite. Still don’t need to feed your plants for the first 3-4 weeks but is safe for seedlings.

6 Likes

Heard good things about coast of maine some growers here use it

3 Likes

I use coast of maine bar harbor blend I love it when it comes 2 m feeding and all

3 Likes

I used FFHF & FFOF.

Both good stuff. The FFHF is not quite as “hot” as FFOF so it is a bit more forgiving on seedlings.

I did not mix perlite in mine, straight soil. I test run-off for ppm and, depending on the individual plant, needed no nutes for 3-5 weeks.

It’s not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

2 Likes

@NYDon Just wondering what’s your normal ph of your run off in ffof? Mine came back really acidic which is why I’m looking for different options

1 Like

There have been numerous growers reporting low PH in OF. I can only suggest doing a slurry test and adjusting up with some dolomitic lime.

2 Likes

I have really good success with promix ultimate organic, it’s kind of spendy but my plants thrive in it

2 Likes

It would come out a little low. I started ph’ing my in-going water a bit on the high side. 6.8 - 7. That did the trick.

This is just one of the reasons that I am moving to RDWC.

1 Like

Lots of people use pro-mix. I use FFOF. For a change up, you could do FFHF for top 1/3rd of pot FFOF for middle 1/3rd of pot and FFSF for bottom 1/3rd of pot. HF for the seedling OF for the vegging and SF for the flowering. I like FF its been around forever. That doesn’t make it better, just tried and true.

1 Like

Fox farms

all the way stuff makes life easy if you have good water

2 Likes

I agree, and have done some non-scientific tests to show that out of Roots original, Big Roots, Empire Builder and Fox Farms Ocean Forest, Roots/Big-Roots was the best.

The absolute best is the roots. I bought it direct from them in Cloverdale. Really nice people.

This year I have a couple growing with Big Roots.

My un-scientific study was using an 11 gal pot with each, then inspect the plants and flowers to decide which I thought was best. Also, as you point out there is nothing to add to the Roots soil, just water. I’m a pretty lazy grower, I don’t test the PH and adjust, I just water.

Maybe Fox Farms would have been better with nutes and PH adjusting, that I don’t know…but what I do know is I don’t want to do that and the Roots doesn’t require anything else, from what the Soil King told me. As I said, I’m probably not a very good grower, but I am a pretty particular/selective person and know what type of bud I like…so take what I say with a large grain of salt.

1 Like

My normal ph for runoff in FFOF is between 6 and 6.5

1 Like

I run big rootz as well. I prefer roots organic but I go with what my shop had. They’ve been having trouble getting roots organic so I have been running big rootz for a while.

I switched from ffof to Roots original 2 grows ago and it’s been trouble free and very easy on the plants, have had great results.

I’m using Coast of Maine Stonington and the Stonington amendment with some fish bone meal.
Organic, water only. KISS just how I like it.

@Docnraq what’s your water ph going in?

I use Coast of Maine stoneington and there amendments very happy won’t go back to FF

2 Likes

If you look in my 2nd and 3rd grows I post my recorded figures for each plant. I almost always water/feed around 6.8.

2 Likes

That’s kinda how I ended up with Big Roots myself, and I went back the next day but it was all gone and I had to take some of the Emerald Builder. That was from my local. The first time I bought it was in Cloverdale at their yard. I think it was just called Roots at that time, but it was at the green roof Soil King building which I later found out is the owner’s handle.

I’m not a very good gardener I know I can yield more and probably get better smoke, but so far I’ve been lazy. I feel strange being able to grow it in my yard. I’m so lazy I like sunlight.LOL

1 Like