Looking for opinions on lights

I’m looking to buy a new led light and was looking at a few different ones. Currently I have a king plus 1200w. I was looking at either another one of those, a viparspectra 450w or a mars hydro mars 2 400w. Just wanted alittle input on which to add to my system.
Here is my current set up
4x4x6.5’ tent

RDWC system 4 five gallon grow bkts

5 gallon reservoir

1/10 hp water chiller

Heater

Humidifier

950 gph air pump

2”x4” air stone in each bucket

12” oscillating fan

1200w king plus led 24” from canopy

6” 400 cfm exhaust fan and filter

Ph level

PPM

I suggest 4 Quantum boards, or if you wanted COB’s to go with rapid LED for adequate coverage of your 4x4. @Fluffy
Blurple panels will grow weed, but not as efficiently.

2 Likes

Would this quantum board work?

Or would this work I could afford 4 of these now

I bought that one 288 board from a pawn shop for 20 bucks with out the driver but if you go to their actual website the data is almost exactly the same as what is on the hlg website. My driver gets delivered today so I can try it out. I wonder if the place that makes them are the same as the hlg quantum board. Like one company makes it but the only thing different is the name.

2 Likes

When hlg started their boards were manufactured in China by a third party vendor. Their latest generation of boards is now manufactured by Samsung, and i believe they are getting setup or may already be done, to do them in house.

Anyway, very possible to get same thing or at least something similar. Just about every led manufacturer makes something in that package. The voltage is just a product of having the same amount of 3v leds in each series string, the current is the amount of parallel strings. A 288 board for instance I believe is 16 parallel strings of 18 leds in series. Anyone who does that with 3v nominal leds will have similar specs. The difference from one manufacturer to another will be in the performance of the actual leds used. For the flagship line hlg uses top flux bin Samsung lm301b leds. At time of design they were the most efficient led available in the world. Some of those Chinese vendors have been busted using lower flux bin leds, some of them have been busted using older leds from Samsung, and at least one of them has been busted using epistar leds which are pretty much the cheapest of the cheap. All of those boards will grow weed though, so it’s just a matter of what you’re getting vs what you’re paying for. I ordered large box of some last year and the ones in use seem to be doing pretty good.

3 Likes

To do a 4x4 properly you’ll need 4 of those boards. The one you listed for $59 would probably work fine. It’s a knock off, see my comment above. You would have to double check what’s included for the $59. You would probably at least need a driver and wiring. Maybe a heatsink too

2 Likes

My little buddy @dbrn32 IS the lighting guru. All I can tell you is, go ahead and get GOOD lights to start with. It will save you money in the end.

2 Likes

Wheres your MC clone journal ?

@dbrn32
Mine was a a board and heatsink with screws and i ordered the driver on line i will post pictures and probably have a question for you later after work but i figured 20 bucks at the pawn shop wasn’t bad to give it a try. They said if i like it and come back and buy all 14 he would give me a better deal.

1 Like

Ya that’s not bad. I’m going to assume you’ll be happy with them regardless, provided they turn on. Sometimes we get a little overly techy with them. The difference between 561c s6 and 561b+ (led that was on a lot of the knock offs) was about 10% in efficacy. 10% is a lot on paper, most new generation leds are typically 3% increase. But even at 10% reduction they’ll still smoke a typical blurple fixture. And there’s still reasonable chance the boards have authentic top bin 561c or 301b leds.

1 Like

Thanks for all the great info! I checked their website and found this. Going to start ordering these!

1 Like

Would you please delete link from dh gate. They’re not currently listed as an approved vendor for linking here. If you’d like it’s acceptable to link from amazon, dealzer, or aliexpress, or post a screenshot of the item you’re trying to reference. Much appreciated!

1 Like

So sorry didn’t mean to do anything wrong.

1 Like

No problem, i figured you weren’t aware. If you have a light or something you’d like to recommend it’s perfectly fine. Just preferred to do in one of the ways i listed above.

1 Like

Also found this one complete with driver it’s giving me an option of 2700k or 5000k which would I want to go with?

That’s same price as hlg, i would probably just order from them and get 3000k or 3500k.

1 Like

I think the kit I was looking at was out of stock

2 Likes

Did you also check growerslights?

No I didn’t I’ll try that too. Thanks!