Looking for auto experts

I was on here a little over a year ago trying to get started but I never did . I really want to start now that Im more stable financially and have more time . was going to start with autos
does anyone have beginners tips about growing and equipment I would need ? all tips are appreciated

2 Likes

Welcone back! I got lots to say on this topic. Watching a political rally right now but Ill be back later to add to this thread. In the mean time… I upgrade my grow midway through the journal and the whole thing is geared towards new grower questions and answers check it out if you like.

3 Likes

im gonna check it out right now ! thanks can’t wait to hear more from you

2 Likes

What a great rally! Ok on to my comments.
I got lotsa tips. 1st) tip is, if your intention is to grow weed forever from this point, buy your nutes in gallons if liquid or LBS if dry. Here is why…

2nd) Water does not equal love
3rd) the two most important pieces of equipment are (in this order) Light and PH tester. DO NOT buy a light without asking around here on the boards first. So many new growers get taken for a ride on their first light…Lights are not cheap so if the one your looking at is, its not gonna be a good one. A single plant light will run you 150-200+ bucks, flat out. As for ph tester, the 12 dollar cheapies on amazon are not worth the 12 dollars. They are fragile and need constant calibration. Most commonly recommended one here is an apera ph20. I have an apera ph60 and love it! 70+ dollars well spent! I can rave about it but I think you get the just of what I am saying.
4th) if going larger then a 2x2 grow tent, get a 6 inch fan, you will be glad you did
5th) automate environmental controls (ac infinity makes the best stuff for this. If I could go back in time I would have AC infinity everything)
6th) go ac infinity all the way if you can afford to do so.
7th) dont get a blurpee light PERIOD.
8th) springless trimming sheers are easier on the hands, trimming is only fun for a little while.
9th) read, read, and read some more.
10th) Have NO expectations of your first grow,
11th) Autoflowers are harder then photoperiod when you are first starting out, if you havent purchased seeds yet, go photoperiod
12th) download two apps to your phone

13th) make and keep a grow journal here on the boards, its sooooo much easier to have all your questions answered and stored in a single place then spread out over countless threads, plus it helps others who are new.
14th) the only stupid question is one you dont ask
15th) did I mention lights and PH pen are important?
16th) Get feminized seeds
17th) to ask anyone on this forum a question directly type @ and their handle (IE @Docnraq )
18th) patience, the last two weeks are the most important in any grow, dont want to harvest too soon.
19th) There is about 1000 ways to shave this kitty, until you have the basics nailed down, stick to one methodology at a time and limit experimentation.
20th) There are many skilled growers here on the forum. You cant help but hit a pro, if you throw a rock up in here.
21) last one off the top of my head- Have fun, this is likely to be a lifelong hobby.

6 Likes

THANKS !! i read that part on your about buying gallons instead lol
I get so many opinions on lights I think im more lost now than when I started !
the plan is to use 4x4 tent , so do you recommend getting 2 fans ?

1 Like

I thought Autoflower was easier ? I was going with those because that’s what I heard was easier and they grow faster . I work about 14hrs a day
what is the difference in yield for Auto and photo?

also what kind of pots did you use ?

thanks a lot btw @Docnraq

1 Like

Anytime, I spend most of my days here :slight_smile:

Faster yes, usually. Easier, I wouldnt say that. Autos have ZERO margin for error. A screw up can cost you big time in yeild.

Huge! Photos can be grown to whatever size you want them to be, as the grower, you choose when to flower them. Autos do what they want when they want and will only get about 3 ft tall no matter how good your grow skills are. I have been growing autos for about 19 months and as soon as I run out of seeds Im going photo. Longer yes, but only if you want. The way I see it. One photo can be vegged to fill the same space 3 autos will take to fill.

2 Likes

In a tent, nah. I tried 8t and it was a hastle to keep them from working against each other. Anything larger then a 3x3 get a 6 inch.

As for lights. You got budget and Gucci. Gucci light gonna cost ya but guve grdat yeilds and dense flowers. Budget, decent yeilds and not so debse buds. Top recommended company is HLG (spendy)
Mars hydro, spyderfarmer are budget but decent. A new company called Green-Beamz been making its way. Seems good quality and very similar to HLG.
Acinfinity has some great gear, if you can afford it go all the way with them. Tent, fans, lights, environmental controls. All of it looks great.

Two kinda of pots I use. Airpots and fabric. Airpots are great, fabric pretty great too.

1 Like

I wouldnt say autos are guaranteed to be small BUT you have NO control on how big theyll be except be giving them a strong start heres a pic showing how huge a difference different strains can grow from my current 8th grow

2 Likes

ahh then I should’ve done more research before buying seeds. I have 5 seeds of gorilla cookies .

1 Like

IMHO Autoflowers may be better suited depending on your situation. A photoperiod plant only starts to flower when it has 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness. And for photos I am told that even a tiny light can cause a plant to hermie (change from female to male).

Autos flower based on their age. They tend to be smaller than their photo counterparts. Autoflowers tend to reach maturity sooner, saving $$$ on electric for the lights. For me, they left me fewer things to worry about.

1 Like

this is definitely what I want . what do you recommend ?

1 Like

I was going to go with fabric pots maybe since I heard it was easier to drain I think

1 Like

Hlg for quality american made lights or these viparspectre for budget hlg knockoffs

1 Like

Tthose are some great plants . how did you get them started ?

yea that’s one of the main reasons why I wanted to go auto. i have someone that can maybe watch over while im at work b ut I dont fully trust them with my babies lol so I thought maybe autos were better for my current situation

Well i start with a coco coir perlite blend , buffer it 2 times in cal mag water, inoculate them with old truck fertilizer with mykos and probiotics, half saturate them, soak seed 24-36 hours in pyroxide water , plant seed sideways 1 fingernail deep, dome them with clear cups, start them with dli 12 light though I’m thinking of upping that to 15 come this spring

1 Like

I would need just one of those ?

Nah for a 4x4 you’ll need 2 or just 1 but only use about half of the tent for your 1st grow to see if you enjoy doing this

1 Like

@GreenSnek is right, hlg is where you should look for lighting. Look for rspec lighting.

Been growing autos back to back to back to back…more weed equals less growing equals less power. My lights never get a break. 50,000 hrs comes up on ya quick. Autos also go 18/6 straight through where photos go 12/12 at flower. Less cost.
Its all realative really

6 of 1, 1/2 a dozen of another.

1 Like