Looking for advise on TRUE supplemental UV

Howdy boys and girls, you favorite noob is back with a whopper of a question.

I just got my hands on a Agromax Pure UV T5 2ft fixture and bulb. I am pairing it with my
HLG 260 Model-W V2 Rspec. At what periods of time are these best run at to boost the
flowering process and avoid crisping up my crop? Do I pepper in a few hours here and there?
Or do I just run it with my 12/12 light cycle? I know I’ve seen the reports about how strong this
T5 bulb is, so anyone with experience using UV please chime in and direct this misguided Noob.(meaning ME)

@MattyBear @dbrn32 @monkman @Hellraiser @Covertgrower

1 Like

I defer to dbrn32 to this one. Last time I looked for UV-C (I think) reptile bulbs was the only one that came up.

2 Likes

I don’t use them. But I would start running it small amount mid light cycle and see how things go.

2 Likes

I just checked and this bulb is 75% UVB and 25% UVA.
I think they forgot the vitamin C

1 Like

The closest think I can find is Mercury T5’s being turned on every 3 hours for 30 minutes.
However, this isn’t a mercury T5 so I’m not sure it applies here.
This was from an old green hippy using T5’s for growing in the late 70’s and early 80’s.

1 Like

Check for grownmau5 videos on YouTube. I think he messed around with one or something like it.

3 Likes

I just copied and pasted that into search.

Be right back.

2 Likes

Migro has a series talking solely about UVB and UVA applications in cannabis. This includes
professors and scientists doing studies in this field. This is some eye opening SH#T.
I’m excited for this purchase and really looking forward to using it in this hobby.

If you have a free moment, check out

How does UV light affect plant growth? feat Dr Bruce Bugbee and Prof Erik Runkle

Just copy and paste that into the FUtube.

1 Like

I started mine at about an hour a day. No issues doing that. I now run it at 3 straight hours a day. Still no issues.

3 Likes

Excellent.
I’m about 20-22 inches above the canopy so
I’m assuming distance is safe.

Oh yeah, I’m about 6” away

1 Like

I didn’t have a way mount it above due to all my other lights. I had to mount it on the side. The last plants grew right into it and didn’t cause any problems. You can see it on behind the plants.

I use the HLG UVA30, which only has UVA, no UVB, I run it for the whole light period in flowering. Make sure to turn off your UV lamp when working in your tent - UVB can give you a wicked sunburn and worse.

1 Like

I’m only in a 3X3 so going into the tent isn’t an option LOL
However, thinking about it now, It be nice to grab a lawn chair and get a suntan
while hanging out with my plants.

The bulb I have is an AgroMax Pure UV T5 florescent. It has a 75% UVB and 25% UVA.
Luckily I have both spectrums of UV. I watched a video by Dr. Bugbee of U of Utah,
He explained the benefits of both wave lengths and some other aspects of the full light
spectrum. VERY eye opening.

2 Likes