Looking for advice and tips on my new growing room blank slate ready to be filled!

I certainly will!!:slight_smile: i make one for every grow so this one will be added to the journal collection for sure!! ill update as I go along especially once i start filling the room up!:slight_smile: im currently ordering my supplies for the grow table and exhaust/ intake systems which will be 6" ac infinity inline for intake and 8"ac infinity inline for exhaust with the corresponding carbon filter

2 Likes

I agree with the others steering you away from burples. You’ve got a really nice space. I get that the up front cost for good lighting is hard to stomach, but if I had to place a bet I would bet on you ending up with HLG or similar down the road anyway. You may as well just do it now. Most of us started with the burple lights and have since upgraded since we were disappointed with the results.

We’re all rooting for you whatever you choose to do.

3 Likes

thank you the current lighting amount and size ive been told to try in place for my original idea was 8 600w hlg qb board lights do u agree with that assessment as well?

1 Like

I read a few of the comments and yes, you are getting good guidance. You’ll want to shoot for ~50 watts per square foot of canopy, so if you carve out a middle aisle a couple of feet wide (you will need to do this) then yes, 8 600W QBs are in the ballpark.

2 Likes

my original method was making my 5’16’ rolling bench table and keeping that in the middle of the 820 and as my canopy gets larger the movable table would allow me to move it as i need it so I can get to each plant, the lights would run along that middle along the room of that makes sense

3 Likes

Imo the lights you were looking at would grow, but you’d need a lot more of them than you are looking at to get good results. And only lighting the middle and using a table is a good idea, but it won’t save you as much as seems on lighting. You will have light spill off of your table that won’t necessarily be reflecting back to your plants on table.

I think to get most out of your room you will eventually end up doing plants all the way around the outside of room with 3’ ish walkway down center. If you needed to, you could install curtains out of reflective material to help keep light from spilling into walkway. You can try your table idea, may be plenty good for you. But I would buy lights that fit a model more like I suggested as well.

Regardless of how you configure, I would look at going with controller for your lights. It will work as a soft start and allow you to run whole room from single timer. Based on your table model, I’m thinking 6 qb 320 xl kits would be a pretty good start. Probably diy equivalent for a little savings, would depend on which led modules you want to use.

2 Likes

thanks @dbrn32 !!! i could make 2 tables half the original size and run them as you mentioned? id keep them on wheels so i could get behind the plants closest to the walls and what do u think id need it I went with spider farmer 4000w lights with the 2 towns ? 2 rows of 5?

1 Like

To do the same thing with better lights lol. I really don’t like them, but if you feel that’s a better fit for you, go for it.

You would be looking at what could be considered two different spaces right, each about 2.5’x20’? If so, that’s 50 square feet per side. You would want about 3700 umols per second to flower each side on 12 hour schedule. Obviously some consideration should be made for shape of fixture as to level of coverage you’ll get, but hitting proper par density should take precedence.

2 Likes

im not married to the spider farmers at all im just looking at cheaper options but i think the hlg 600s are what i obviously should get after all the solid agreement on them and yea it would be maybe 3’ x 16’ on each side running 2 rows of 8 plants on each side 32 total

2 Likes

The hlg-600 is a better light for wider space, but they would work too.

Custom may be a good route for you. 3 of the double row f-series Samsung strips would cover 2.5x4 pretty well.

2 Likes

i looked into them and have decided ti take your great advice ill be going the custom route and also i think instead of doing one table or 2 i think i may build a platform thats a little shorter but tall enough to let gravity still take the run off to the run off reservoir using the drain away trays and pex line , the platform woul literally be the size of the entire room and covered in reflective mylar that way i could arrange the plants in any manner this way i could just walk among them as if they were on the floor id make the platform lime 8’*18’ leaving the storage end untouched and maybe even hanging a mylar curtain as @dbrn32 mentioned

4 Likes

Sounds good to me. There’s probably a lot of different ways you could go, all would be successful. I think it’s just important to keep an open mind and shift directions where as things come up. Who knows where you’ll end up, just try to be smart with money.

4 Likes

thanks so much for all of the great advice i have all the time in the world to put this together the right way, and wanna do it right for the long term , while saving as much as possible lol, can’t wait to show yas the updates as things go forward!!

2 Likes

quick update! i have alot of it set up, the lights u see are just supplements for general lighting etc , ill be buying 8
gavita pro1700e lights for the space , i built this 6’ x 16’ dtw table to hold 16 12 gal air pots running on a 32 gal resevoir im at a standstill between botanicare cocogro or canna coco , ill be using pumice as my 30% instead of perylite (personal preference) i enjoy how it stays put instead of rising to the top, ill send a more showing pic soon!

4 Likes

@dbrn32

2 Likes

i have a couple other questions regarding my upcoming updates , such as the coco brand , along the necessity of an o3 purifier

1 Like

there will be co2 enrichment, natural method exhale bags, theres gonna be 4.5" of space between each light so ill hang bags in that opening

I’m using canna brand coco with Jack’s on 321 ratio, only supplement to that is tribus 1ml gallon. Working out good so far.

The gavita light will provide 5x5 coverage. Is that what you’re looking to replace with the DIY lights?

3 Likes

yea , these are amazing lights but were starting a 4th location and profits have been very kind in the “experimental r and d department” as it were lol, so the diy lights are going to take this room up while the gavitas move on up to a square shaped facility

2 Likes

Well everyone! we have my first batch of clones and the room is officially up and running as a flower room after this trial batch is done vegging , my veg room in another location on the property will be vegging 8 weeks behind this flower room, im running all drain to waste coco, their on my own hand built drain to waste table !:slight_smile: running 7 spider farmer sf 4000’s will 6 smaller uv, id heavy supplementaries, and 8 power flower uv’s on the sides , their all growing in 7.5 gal oxy pots, using full advanced nutrients line ( sensi coco) running an areas 4 co2 cmgenerator ( only hooked to a 20lb, until the 500 lb gets here next week, also for heat on the other half of the building to keep ambient temps during winter) which is controlled with a 1500 ppm fixed titan controller, room is almost completely air tight other than my 6" ac infinity intake which has a door i can seal and my 8" vivosun exhaust which also seals if need be , Uploading: IMG_20200914_183540.jpg… Uploading: IMG_20200914_183604.jpg… Uploading: IMG_20200914_183606.jpg… Uploading: IMG_20200914_183622.jpg… Uploading: IMG_20200914_183732.jpg… Uploading: IMG_20200914_183736.jpg…

2 Likes