Looking for advice and tips on my new growing room blank slate ready to be filled!

hey all its me again, ive been doing a little side project i think you’ll all like to see and im looking for any input maybe tips on larger grow rooms i may not be privy too,this is an 8’ x 20’ sealed room i just finished wrapping in mylar it has its own dedicated 60 amp breaker box and is very very well hidden ive put some time into it to say the least lol, as of right now the plan is to build a rolling bench table (5’x16’) with braked wheels and 5" sides on hinges the inside will also be covered in mylar, i planned on using the drain to waster method in 8.5 gallon air pots on the drain away trays 15.5" underneath the table will be a 40 gallon run off tote on a wheely cart which measure’s 16" in height so the table will be an inch higher than that, the drain way trays will attach to 3/4" pex and tee down to said tote for efficient and leakproof run off, i intend on running guidelines along the 10" ceiling so my lights can greely move back and forth as needed, i plan on using 4 3000w cod philzon led lights and 4 3000w dc bestva led lights which will all run off paired timers set to the same time ill be using a coco perlite mix with advanced coco grow and bloom nutes and my personal favorite “humbolts secret” addatives such as golden tree flower stacker sweet and sticky , calmag iron etc, the table will be fitted with 4 poles on each corner for a scrog net and again said table will be on wheels so i can get wherever i need to go , and then on the side of the room with the wall cabinet i will have a skinny shelving unit for my nutes amd supplies and under the wall cabinet will be my 2x2x4 grow tent with an 8 tube florescent light and a dome inside for my clones and seedlings ( i have a 4x4x8 tent in the house that will be home to a mother plant once i start this first crop) so i can eventually make the whole system perpetual, so basically am i doing anything wrong? could i just do something better? is the dtw system not the most efficient for a room this size? do u disagree with my nute line up? stiff like that i lobe constructive criticism!

5 Likes

bte i forgot to mention but i planned on fitting 3 rows of 8 on that 5*16 table should i do less for a larger yield per plant? or should that be enough room?

2 Likes

Has to be blurples?

2 Likes

no not necessarily their just decently priced and ive used the brands so i felt comfortable, im always open to new suggestions!:slight_smile:

2 Likes

however i would prefer to stay led

1 Like

@camoflouge312 the burple might be cost effective on the frontend, but they end up breaking and heating your space up a good bit. I have a ton of burple lights on the shelf from purchases over the years. Many have half the panel out due to two or three leds burned out, most within one grow. But I’ve settled on a Mars hydro tsl-2000 for my 2x3 space for now. Once I have a bit more time I will build a few diy lights using some of the drivers from the old burple lights. If your handy with a wire stripper that might be the best way to go for you.

3 Likes

i’d try to stay away from anything blurple, old tech and not nearly as efficient at turning watts to light as current tech leds made by companies such as HLG, Fluence, Gavita, ChillLed. You got a real nice room there but you’re choosing old tech leds for lights. You could do much better.

5 Likes

ive looked into diy lighting i like this idea alot!! and mars has some pretty decent lights from what i can tell and im not against sun-like at all so i will look at some options for sure the other ones I was gonna get was the 4000w spider farmer brand except id get 7 of them instead of 8

2 Likes

@Hellraiser thanks for the advice im def willing to change up i used em for so long i guess i got comfortable lol what do u think about the 4000w spider farmer line?

1 Like

@camoflouge312 a friend of mine runs a single spider farm 1000w in a 2x4 with really good results. Seemed a little more airy than my grow (same strain but different seeds), but this was his first grow.

1 Like

I think the Spider Farmer is a decent light, good leds, good parts, I think the HLG is a superior product but if the budget don’t match, you gotta do what you gotta do.

1 Like

what would u say would meet my coverage rate if I were to buy from HLG, ive always been confused by the equivalent rates on lights like bestva spider farmer etc where they run 1000 2000 3000 4000w etc then the more reputable brands only go up to like 900 and 1200 alot of times could just be a lack of light education on my end , i know my canopy will prolly cover 7’ once in flower and 17’ long I want to throughly penetrate for sure if i can save I will but i have the profit margin saved to go all out as this is a permanent set up and i can take my time setting it up

2 Likes

The HLG DIY kits would you save some money over buying their ready to plug in lights. To cover a 7 x 17 flowering area, you’d want at least 30 HLG wats per sq ft, so you’d want like 3570 or more watts total. You could divide that up into 6 HLG 600 watt 4 qb board light kits for 3600 watts total real watts.

Or just get 8 of them for some serious light.

2 Likes

@Hellraiser thank you im gonna look into it right now!! and @ItsPat thank you as well i like the mars hydro line as well! i gotta say i love the diy idea like @ItsPat mentioned earlier i think im gonna aim for that diy and HLG combined sounds like a great set up to me lol , so any other advice could i push more yield per sq ft with a different method or placement?

4 Likes

and yessir i like to go big time any time i can so 8 will be the goal lol

3 Likes

I think if we tag in @dbrn32 he might have some ideas to help with diy if you do want to head down the rabbit hole.

4 Likes

yes i would love to get some input from @dbrn32 !!

2 Likes

@camoflouge312, You have a really nice grow room, gonna watch along in the future. Good luck, and happy times ahead.

2 Likes

thank you so much!! happy growing to you as well!!

1 Like

Nice room. Hope you start a journal so we can see how it is coming along.

2 Likes