Looking for a RDWC Primer

A primer, as in a beginner’s guide. I have all sorts of noob questions such as line sizing, fittings sizing, water pump sizing and run (on/off) schedule, air pump sizing, how to provide the girls what they need between germination and when the root system reaches the water, and the list goes on.

I’ve read through a lot of the posts in the hydro sections, but it’s a lot of troubleshooting of folks plant problems and not a “RDWC for Dummies.”

RDWC for Dummies is really what I’m looking for. Anyone know a good reference?

2 Likes

I would be very interested in this as well. I am delving into the hydro world myself. I am in the process of setting up an undercurrent system but, got sick and have been unable to finish assembly. As usual I jumped the gun and started seeds again. I had to transfer one to a DWC already and it is looking like at least 2 more before completion of my system. I am just winging it from bit and pieces that I have picked up. Plant is still alive so, I musta done something right. As always, I have the tendency to jump in with both feet. What started out as a simple Kratkey experiment from a video that sparked my attention, has now evolved into a 6 pot undercurrent system. If you want I will give you whatever information I have, I’m new to this also, so just tying to do the best I can. I know that there are a lot of good hydro people here. My brother and friend @PharmerBob, has helped me immensely through this process and has been a tremendous amount of help to me (I hope that he doesn’t mind me throwing his name out there). I have also received help from others and I am sure that I am gonna miss a few but, forgive me I have appreciated everyone’s help and input. To name a few @kettle, @Grandaddy013, @Southerngal she seems to have nailed it right out the gate. I hope that this helps and if I can help in anyway just tag me. Good luck in this new endeavor, I know that I am looking forward to it :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :v:

3 Likes

Hey thanks for the tag. I think I may have had some beginner’s luck :grimacing:
This is my second grow ever and I’m in a straight DWC.
He tagged you some great help. I’m going to add a couple to that list @peachfuzz, @Myfriendis410, @TDubWilly

3 Likes

I have enough of a handle on it that I can help if you want. Just let me know.

1 Like

Find a member growing plants that you like and just mirror their setup, remembering lighting will affect PPM.

1 Like

I agree copying the setup and adjusting is the way I did it. and a lot of help along the way. :grinning:

what do u mean light can affect ppms?

1 Like

More light intensity lower PPM

1 Like

I think that deserves a detailed causal explanation. Are you hinting at a lower EC being conducive to transpiration, or is it something else?

1 Like

You see grower’s with a PPM over 1000, that would almost kill my plants, for sure burn them. I flower at a PPM of 600-725 General Hydro Flora trio.
There’s a sweet spot where your plant takes-up nutrients and water at the same rate that’s where you PH will remain stable too.

1 Like

The only thing that is really a show stopper for me at this point is that I fail to understand how you go from germination to veg and ensure that the plant has what it needs. It looks like everyone keeps their young ones in net pots, but I read of a 2" gap between the bottom of the plant and your solution. So how the hell does one ensure the plant gets what it needs until the roots reach the water?

I’m clueless. Where can I learn about this?

That part is easy. Hope @Myfriendis410 doesn’t mind if I give my two cents.

I would use a submersible pump with the lowest flow I could find. You run that from your reservoir up to an emitter at the “soil line.”

It’s nice to have a dedicated setup for this, instead of running lines through a full sized system. A large tote is all you need, and obviously the cages are closer together than they would be in a normal system.

I’m sure there are other options out there.

2 Likes

As in: running a drip system across your hydroton? That would make sense.

One of these:

you don’t need to the bubbles rise to the surface and pop… the popping sends fine droplets of nutrients into the air, that’s why a good air pump is very important…it travels 6 inches easy… so your ok… :grin:

2 Likes

I personally like an adjustable emitter just to balance everything in a larger system. They’re also dirt cheap.

1 Like

I don’t know why you would want to add more pumps… and the emitters don’t clog?

what ever floats your boat… :wink:

1 Like

Top sprayed for a couple of days on heat mat then into a 3 gal bucket with 2 airstone’s(1" air to water gap). Airstone bubbles will wet the hydroton watering the plant then, 4 or 5 days tap-root will be hanging in water

3 Likes

For germination into net pot into final home:

Rapid Rooters are money for this: they are sterile and do an okay job of supporting the seedling until taproot develops. Once I see roots the RR is placed into net pot with hydroton. I did as suggested above and used a drip emitter (1 1/2 gallon/hour) on a plant stake and a timer to keep the hydroton damp. This should be applied a couple of inches away from the seedling so it can ‘hunt’ for moisture. R/O water for the first two weeks or until the cotyledons yellow, then feed lightly at around 200 to 300ppm and slowly ramp up to peak veg TDS as plant dictates.

Discontinue top feed as soon as taproot touches the water. With an adequate air pump your net pot will be kept wet by this action. Keep 1 1/2" to 2" below net pot. FYI the blue pump stones emit a finer bubble which is more easily absorbed by the water.

4 Likes