Looking for a knowledgeable second set of eyes, please

ILGM California Dream (Feminized Non-auto)
Started in a grow tent under a 600r Spec
Lights on at 5am, off at 8pm
Happy Frog soil, recently transplanted to 7 gallon fabric

Three days ago I moved all the plants from the grow tent to the greenhouse. The lights are only CFL’s, but the total amount of light(15 hours), temperature and humidity remained the same.

Is it possible for a plant to start flowering with 15 hours of light? I can adjust the lighting, but the lights are set for the total amount of sunlight I’ll have when they’ll get transplanted outside.

Thank you for any advice.

1 Like

Hi, plants flower for me at 10hr dark, I count the dark hours, somebody knows more about day length than I do…

CFL’s aren’t big lumen producers. You likely don’t have enough lumens over the canopy to suffice as a supplement for daytime lighting.

6 Likes

It’s not impossible. I’ve had plants in the ground in March be finished by August. Matching the light they get to what they’ll get outside is supposed to prevent flowering, but sh!t happens. @BobbyDigital has probably nailed down the issue for you.

1 Like

Thank you, easy fix, I’ll just add an LED to the greenhouse. Worst case, I will have a mini re-veg since this just started to happen. They won’t go into the ground until the 1st of June, plenty of time to recover. All of the 11 plants are still in a vegetative state of mind, just the one plant jumped the gun. Thanks again everyone for the assistance :+1:t3::+1:t3:

2 Likes

Happy Cannaversary @YuccaBud

2 Likes

Thanks!!

1 Like

Inadequate lighting may contribute to early flowering. I’ve never seen a photo flower with more than 14 hours of light per day.

3 Likes

I removed the CFL’s and hung the 600r Spec. The light comes on at 5am and turns off at 9am, then turns back on again at 4pm and turns off at 8pm. The Civil Twilight on the 1st of June is going to be 4:59am to 7:47pm, so I’m hoping to avoid any issues once they go into the ground.

I welcome any feedback, thank you.

3 Likes

Happy Cake Day, @YuccaBud

2 Likes

The only difference from my grow tent to the greenhouse was the lighting. So, I’m hoping swapping the light will keep everything in vegetation. :crossed_fingers:t3:

3 Likes

There’s no need a acclimate them to a different light cycle. The plants will have no trouble adjusting to a different set of hours when you take them outside. If relying on artificial lighting for the time being, I would give them 18 hours of light per day to mitigate the risk of early flowering. A longer cycle will also help meet the plant’s DLI requirements. I’ve never seen a plant flower at 15 hours, but there’s no reason to add any risk. We have seen them flower at 14 hours of light.

4 Likes

It’s difficult to express the details without writing a novel, my fault. The LED lighting is being used only as a buffer, the LED turns on at 5am and the actual sunrise is right around 6am the LED turns off at 8pm, but the actual sunset is 6:30pm. I’ve been mirroring the actual sunlight I will have on June 1st, and the LED’s are only supplementing 2 hours of sunlight. The LED are running a little longer than 2 hours, but that’s just to compensate for fog, cloud cover, etc. The plants are only getting a total of 15 hours of light, with the sun producing 13 hours of that light. So, the light cycle from seedlings to the outdoor transplants are the exact time for the final transplant on June 1st.

This is why I thought it was so weird to have one plant start leaning into flower. I have 12 plants, two of which are California Dream and one looks like it wants to flower :thinking: It’s only that one plant…nutrients, lighting, watering are the same for all the plants.

Sorry for the length of the reply and thanks for the help.

3 Likes

No worries. More detail is always better and helps everyone run any possible issues down. We’re all eager to help people get the most out of their grows.

You plants look really healthy and should do fine.

2 Likes

I always appreciate yours and the groups help. I usually follow the 18 hour light suggestion, but this year I’m going with 15 hours of total light. AZ is a hot and dry state, but in my area the longest day of sunlight is only 14 1/4 hours…civil twilight adds a little more total light. So, if I can get the plants to 4x4’ and keep them in vegetation until the end of summer I could have a decent crop🤞🏼 This year will be the first time I’ll be able to garden full-time, so we’ll see what happens🙏

3 Likes

What time did the lights in the greenhouse go off?

1 Like

Sunset is around 6:30pm, lights go off at 8pm

1 Like

Right in line with mine, so I have no idea unless it’s just inadequate lighting in the greenhouse, I use a 100 watt led full spectrum.

I think @BobbyDigital spotted the issue. I’ve read tons of post where people talk about adding supplemental lighting, so I “assumed” CFL’s would work too keep the plants in vegetation. It’s only the one plant, but switching lights is an easy fix to ensure all of them stay in vegetation.

1 Like

What wattage and how many cfls are u running? I see no sign of flowering in your plant. Pistils will show when she’s getting sexually mature they are then in what we call the pre flowering stage.

Do you have more pics of the plant as upon closer inspection I see no pistils therefore I think you don’t have any problem and everything is fine.

1 Like